It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

warning of Promeris!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dustin Sprunger
Newborn
Newborn
Dustin Sprunger

Male Join date : 2010-09-08

warning of Promeris!!!! Empty
PostSubject: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:08 pm

I got this in my Email

I wanted to share with the group something that happened to one of my babies. I recently took one of my dogs to Fort Payne Alabama to a vet there. He is an hour from me but, I like the way he interacts with my dogs. While there, I decided to get some Frontline. He explained that he had patients unhappy with that product and began carrying Promeris.
I hadn't heard of this product but felt he wouldn't carry it if there were problems.

I applied the product to seven of my dogs one afternoon. Everyone appeared to be fine however, Banjo(Shepherd/Collie X) vomited a bit of grass but, that wasn't alarming to me. I never left the house that night but was upstairs in my office working. When I came down stairs Banjo wasn't at the hallway door where he always waited for me. I found him in my bedroom laying on his pillow his little head between his paws, his eyes staring. I called for him, no response. My boy was dead. I couldn't understand what could have happened to my baby? He was only 4 yrs old. Beautiful, healthy, energetic boy. It was a holiday weekend(Sept 3) so I called the crematorium to see if they would allow me to freeze him until I could get over the shock of this and figure out what I wanted to do. It suddenly hit me,the Promeris? I called my vet were I purchased this. He agreed that it was very suspicious and requested that I bring Banjo to him for an autopsy. As much as I didn't want to do this, as a rescuer,I felt it would be irresponsible not to follow through.

Our suspicions were accurate. The chemical in the product shut down his motor cortex at the base of his brain. It appeared that the neurological inhibitor put my Banjo to sleep. His application was for less than his body weight. The vet said that if he had gotten the full dosage he would have been gone in 30 minutes. The product takes 8 to 10 hours to get in to there blood stream. Banjo was dead 9 hours after his application.

The company(Visor)that makes this product has asked for a pathology report to be done. Dr. Lee sent more tissue samples off to Auburn University and we are waiting for the results. Not certain the tissue will still be viable. Please tell everyone you know to stay clear of this flea/tick product. It's a roll of the dice and not worth the risk. I have 6 dogs that appear to be o.k. but, Banjo lost his life. I don't know that I have ever felt such heartache. I will fight in his memory to have this product pulled or at the very least have the wording"this product could be fatal to some dogs"added to packaging. My vet boxed up this product and sent it back to Visor after his autopsy findings. He said he would not carry a product that could harm a dog in this way. Thank you Dr. Lee.
[/size]
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 1:18 am

We actually tried Promeris and HATED it. Koda would SULK for 3 days... lethargic, not want to play, just not himself Sad I don't even think we used the rest of the package after a couple of months and switched to Frontline.

Whether this story is actually true or not, I believe it. I've never seen Koda act like that and it was clearly due to the Promeris because we used it for a few months and the same thing happened every time. Three days he'd sulk around like he felt sick Sad

Thanks for the posting.

warning of Promeris!!!! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 pm

i have heard of this happening and i think petsmart is carrying it now. we just started using frontline pulse this summer and i do not like the affects it has on my 2 right after applying it. sierra starts to breath heavily and jack just acts weird, takes about 20 min for them to get over it. im not sure i will use it next year. i will say being in CO we do not really have flea issues out here it was more for the ticks when we are camping and hiking that i was using it.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Wow, I will definitely keep this in mind and do a little reading up on this issue and the Promeris product. Thanks for sharing!

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 1:55 pm

jbealer wrote:
i have heard of this happening and i think petsmart is carrying it now. we just started using frontline pulse this summer and i do not like the affects it has on my 2 right after applying it. sierra starts to breath heavily and jack just acts weird, takes about 20 min for them to get over it. im not sure i will use it next year. i will say being in CO we do not really have flea issues out here it was more for the ticks when we are camping and hiking that i was using it.

Jenn, if you are looking for a safer alternative for a tick repellent I would suggest trying Rose Geranium oil if you do not have cats which I'm assuming you don't with two high prey drive sibes. Essential oils are toxic to cats so I'd never recommend them for a home with cats. Rose Geranium oil is a natural tick repellent and I've been using it for my dogs this past summer and it's worked great. We're in South Carolina which has a lot of ticks AND we live with woods right behind our house. I was using K9 Advantix which is supposed to repel ticks yet one of my dogs was still picking up a lot of ticks this summer. Since I started using Rose Geranium oil none of them has gotten a single tick. It's just my personal experience but it works for us! And we are in the woods a lot since I like to take my dogs out hiking and whatnot, we walk the woods behind our house regularly too. Anyway, I put one drop of Rose Geranium oil on their collar and one drop on their harness once every other week and it keeps them tick free and smells great. They walk around literally smelling like roses! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 4:14 pm

OMG, that is so sad. I live in Nevada, where we don't have a flea or tick problem, but I'm glad to have read this in case I needed something since I do still go camping in Utah and I'm not sure what the flea/tick situation is there. I will definitely have to warn my cousins who have dogs in New Jersey though. They live in a wooded area and I'm not sure what kind of stuff they use on their dogs. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Dustin Sprunger
Newborn
Newborn
Dustin Sprunger

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 11:52 pm

your welcome for sharing didnt want this to happen to anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 12:58 am

Thank you for sharing this, we keep Embry on Frontline in the summer
Back to top Go down
bama_boy_88
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 am

Dustin Sprunger wrote:
I got this in my Email

I will fight in his memory to have this product pulled or at the very least have the wording"this product could be fatal to some dogs"added to packaging. My vet boxed up this product and sent it back to Visor after his autopsy findings. He said he would not carry a product that could harm a dog in this way. Thank you Dr. Lee.
[/size]

Thank you for you post, I will definitely keep that in mind from now on. Did you ever get the results back from Auburn University? I actually live here in Auburn and go to school at Auburn University, and I can tell you that it has one of the best vet schools around, so I am very interested in what they found out about Banjo. I understand that it must have been very difficult for you to post this, but I really appreciate you doing so. We get so attached to our babies, and I don't know what I would do without my two Huskies. I am sorry for your loss, but your story has opened my eyes to the dangers of this product, and I for one will join you in your fight to have this product removed from the market, in memory of Banjo.
Also, Dr. Lee sounds like an amazing individual that went above and beyond the call of duty to help you through this situation and leave you knowing that your loss of Banjo was not in vain. In this day and age, you rarely find vets, or anybody for that matter, that truly care about your animals like you do, but for Dr. Lee to actually pull the product from his shelves and send it back tells me that he genuinely cared more about the welfare of his patients than about the money he could have made by selling the product. I wish there were more people out there like him. Thank you again for your post.
warning of Promeris!!!! P5160910
^^Blitzen, and little sister, Zoey^^
Back to top Go down
Dustin Sprunger
Newborn
Newborn
Dustin Sprunger

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 10:13 pm

bama_boy_88 wrote:
Dustin Sprunger wrote:
I got this in my Email

I will fight in his memory to have this product pulled or at the very least have the wording"this product could be fatal to some dogs"added to packaging. My vet boxed up this product and sent it back to Visor after his autopsy findings. He said he would not carry a product that could harm a dog in this way. Thank you Dr. Lee.
[/size]

Thank you for you post, I will definitely keep that in mind from now on. Did you ever get the results back from Auburn University? I actually live here in Auburn and go to school at Auburn University, and I can tell you that it has one of the best vet schools around, so I am very interested in what they found out about Banjo. I understand that it must have been very difficult for you to post this, but I really appreciate you doing so. We get so attached to our babies, and I don't know what I would do without my two Huskies. I am sorry for your loss, but your story has opened my eyes to the dangers of this product, and I for one will join you in your fight to have this product removed from the market, in memory of Banjo.
Also, Dr. Lee sounds like an amazing individual that went above and beyond the call of duty to help you through this situation and leave you knowing that your loss of Banjo was not in vain. In this day and age, you rarely find vets, or anybody for that matter, that truly care about your animals like you do, but for Dr. Lee to actually pull the product from his shelves and send it back tells me that he genuinely cared more about the welfare of his patients than about the money he could have made by selling the product. I wish there were more people out there like him. Thank you again for your post.
warning of Promeris!!!! P5160910
^^Blitzen, and little sister, Zoey^^

Thanks for your regards but this didnt happen to my dog it happened to my friends mom and i received it in my email a while ago and im trying to spread the word and get the item off the shelves
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: warning of Promeris!!!!   warning of Promeris!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

warning of Promeris!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1