It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Noticing things about Anuska....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

Noticing things about Anuska.... Empty
PostSubject: Noticing things about Anuska....   Noticing things about Anuska.... EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 4:10 am

Noticing things about Anuska.... <a href=Noticing things about Anuska.... Img_0011" />

We rescued Anushka about two years ago. We've been noticing things about her we haven't seen other Husky's do. Granted we get most of our info on the breed via our vet and the internet. There's not a whole lot of Huskies in West Texas for her to play with so she hangs out with Labs mostly. Hoping ya'll can answer our questions. When she's interested in something (like the pizza man coming to the door like in the photo) she drops her head, raises her mantle (cape) and just stares. No noise, no wagging, nothing. Just watches and waits. Don't get me wrong, she's the sweetest dog I've ever had. She's well socialized and has never met a stranger once you make it in the door. But the length of her mantle (cape) and fur in general is a bit longer than most husky's I've seen. Her mannerisms seem a bit off as well. The videos I see of husky's greeting someone at the door is usually woo-wooing and what have you. I'm not sure she's a pure breed (not that it matters, she's still my girl) but we can't figure out what else she may have in her bloodline. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Noticing things about Anuska....   Noticing things about Anuska.... EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 10:02 am

Hackles (the mane) are always moving in our house. Even when playing with each other they've got hackles up sometimes. I think it's more noticeable on a Siberian because of coat length. Your girl has the same coat length of one of my females. You could be thrown off if there's excessive dead undercoat on her. What do you use to brush? Rakes work really well. Much better than a furminator.

And as for her behavior with people coming to the door, one of my females will bark. If she hears anyone approaching her hackles go up and she lets out this goofy bark and will continue to bark until she recognizes them or they come inside. Each dog has different greetings, I wouldn't contribute that to a different breed- each dog is different.

She's very pretty, we would love to see pictures! From what I see, she's all Husky.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Noticing things about Anuska....   Noticing things about Anuska.... EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 12:46 pm

This is exactly what kiba does. I would guess its just the breed norm. Usually she won't wag or get excited until a person is within a couple feet. Up until then she does exactly what your pup is doing in the picture
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Noticing things about Anuska....   Noticing things about Anuska.... EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 1:13 pm

She might be trying to 'stalk' the pizza man. Juneau does this exact pose when she sees another dog at the dog park. She doesn't go attack, it's a form of play to her.

Your pup looks all husky to me too.
Back to top Go down
Decuervo
Puppy
Puppy
Decuervo

PostSubject: Re: Noticing things about Anuska....   Noticing things about Anuska.... EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks for the responses. We use a glove and four paws shedder brush for grooming (along with the occasional vacuuming).

We've measured her and she's 27" at the withers which is 5"-7" taller than the female breed standard for a husky. She's also 57" long from tip to tail and weighs 42.5 pounds. She doesn't have the bulk of a Malamute though. Maybe she had some Mal in her distant relatives.

As for the head down thing...she walks around like that a good portion of the time. No there's nothing medically wrong with her it's just how she walks.

Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Noticing things about Anuska....   Noticing things about Anuska.... EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 12:32 pm

She's the right weight for a female husky so I wouldn't say she has Mal, she could be from a BYB who thought their overly large, poorly bred husky would make pretty babies (and lots of $$$). There are several large huskies at the dog park here that make Karli look like a shrimp! And that's how Karli stocks things, she usually does that at night when she thinks she sees something in the back yard lol. Your girl looks all husky to me too!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Noticing things about Anuska....   Noticing things about Anuska.... EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 pm

That seems like stalking behavior. Dizzy does it all the time.

*He especially does it when he sees another dog he wants to play with. It freaks other dogs out, and he's growing out of it to an extent, but he still does it all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noticing things about Anuska....   Noticing things about Anuska.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Noticing things about Anuska....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1