It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:43 am

Roxanne is 50 lbs and almost top of the standard for height, the girls stand a chance to be pretty large. Although I'm with you Megan, I wouldn't be sad if Caoimhe stayed smaller. PS: there's going to be a winter litter at Kennedy Sled Dogs Wink is it time for you to get a puppy yet?! Lol
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 10:54 am

Honestly, my husband and I would also prefer a smaller Sibe but will be happy with however big Layla gets. I didn't know Kennedy was having a winter litter! Who're the sire and dam? And does Rachel plan on keeping a female or a male? I know Kiana Siberians just had a litter up in New Hampshire -- five pups, mostly black! Check out their site for some cute pics. Smile
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 12:09 pm

I know they are super cute! So dark. There's no details posted yet by Rachel but it says they have one planned! Husker is also off the available list. Curious if she decided to keep all three pups.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 12:58 pm

I saw a Facebook post from her that she could not afford to keep all three and decided to keep Husker and sell Gienah. Looks like she found a home already, though, because Gienah is no longer on the Web site. Rachel said she changed her mind twice about it but ended up going with her gut and keeping Husker, though she had really bonded with Gienah and was losing sleep about what to do! Glad she found a home but sad she had to give her up!

I just saw the info about the winter litter. Looks like she's using one of Kiana's studs (Trigger's uncle!) and her new lead girl from Maureen. Looking forward to stalking the site again to see what these two produce!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 1:07 pm

ccurran07 wrote:
Roxanne is 50 lbs and almost top of the standard for height, the girls stand a chance to be pretty large. Although I'm with you Megan, I wouldn't be sad if Caoimhe stayed smaller. PS: there's going to be a winter litter at Kennedy Sled Dogs ;)is it time for you to get a puppy yet?! Lol
capellalayla wrote:
Honestly, my husband and I would also prefer a smaller Sibe but will be happy with however big Layla gets. I know Kiana Siberians just had a litter up in New Hampshire -- five pups, mostly black! Check out their site for some cute pics. Smile
ccurran07 wrote:
I know they are super cute! So dark. There's no details posted yet by Rachel but it says they have one planned! Husker is also off the available list. Curious if she decided to keep all three pups.
capellalayla wrote:
I saw a Facebook post from her that she could not afford to keep all three and decided to keep Husker and sell Gienah. I just saw the info about the winter litter. Looks like she's using one of Kiana's studs (Trigger's uncle!) and her new lead girl from Maureen. Looking forward to stalking the site again to see what these two produce!
Ahhh stop giving me ideas Smile I've already got a 2015 pup lined up but Kennedy's pups were/are sooo tempting that if I can handle a second pup by then, I'm definitely aiming for the 2015-2017 time frame depending on what my breeder and Kennedy says, and what Kennedy has available at the time. I almost cried when Husker was put back up, glad he's not up anymore because that was way too tempting xD
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Yeah I saw that post but as of yesterday the website wasn't updated!if there are red pups out of this litter I will die! I want one so bad. Eek!

Last edited by ccurran07 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Same here! I promised myself and my husband we will rescue our second -- hoping for a younger gray male (around 8 to 10 months old), possibly late 2014 after we install our six-foot fence this coming spring. Then after that, 2016 or 2017 or so, we may get another puppy or rescue an adult dog, a red or copper (male or female, depending on the personalities of the first two) to complete our team. Razz

It's such a tease to look at all these litters coming up, though, especially since we're rescuing our next one. Soooo tempting!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 2:32 pm

capellalayla wrote:
Same here! I promised myself and my husband we will rescue our second -- hoping for a younger gray male (around 8 to 10 months old), possibly late 2014 after we install our six-foot fence this coming spring. Then after that, 2016 or 2017 or so, we may get another puppy or rescue an adult dog, a red or copper (male or female, depending on the personalities of the first two) to complete our team. Razz

It's such a tease to look at all these litters coming up, though, especially since we're rescuing our next one. Soooo tempting!
Hahaha! I already got my rescue - you won't regret it! Link is such a goof and I love him so <3
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Layla turned 15 weeks old yesterday. Seems like yesterday we brought her home! I didn't realize how long her legs are getting until I took this photo.

Today I took her into the woods and we did a little walking around and worked on "heel" and her sledding commands. She had the zoomies for a while on leash, which was kind of annoying, but after we ran around a little bit she calmed down and did great. Now she's at home and ready for a nap!  Looks like she's saying, "Hey, stop taking photos; I'm trying to sleep here!"

52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Layla_33
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 am

Wow, I'm seriously lagging in the photo department! My husband has been taking pics, though, so I'll try to do a photo dump for the missing several weeks today or tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

Female Join date : 2013-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 4:58 pm

yay i love seeing pictures of layla such a cutie. i see she seems to be going through the lanky stage. mine sure is. so skinny and all legs. she's only 17.3 lbs at 17 weeks. can't wait to see the new photos
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 6:32 pm

She definitely is lanky/skinny, has been that way for a while now. She's definitely growing, though! I have a feeling that unless she has a big growth spurt in the next couple months that she will be on the smaller side. She's already blowing her puppy coat. I'm brushing her every day and piles and piles of fur come out, haha.

Pics to come, I promise!
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 7:48 pm

wow! already?i think Samoa is only a couple weeks behind yours and she has yet to start shedding but i'm sure it will come sooner than later lol i'm going to miss this soft puppy coat too
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Layla's coat is still soft, especially after a good brushing. I think the new coat will come in a little thicker, though, so it may lose some plush softness.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 1:31 am

OK, here we go at last! Looks like I have weeks 16 through 19 to catch up on (although, in a half-hour Layla will turn 20 weeks old, haha). So, without further ado, let the photo dump commence!

Week 16
Hiking with me at Vietnam Veterans Park, our favorite place to go for a walk (and meet lots of other dogs and people in the process!)
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Vietna10

52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Vietna11

Helping me open presents on the morning of my birthday (please excuse the disheveled look and hot-pink robe ... it's actually a very warm robe!)
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Liz_s_10

Week 17
Hiking at Weir Hill
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Layla_35

Ready for her first big trip to go see my parents and her "Aunt" Maggie, my parents' 11-year-old Jack Russell/beagle mix. She also met my aunt (mom's side), grandparents (on both sides), uncle (dad's side), cousins (dad's side) and brother for the first time.
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Layla_36

Week 18
While visiting my parents, we took Layla and Maggie for lots of walks. Amazingly, Maggie can keep up pretty well with Layla's Sibe puppy energy.
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Layla_37

Layla decided she would try Maggie's bed on for size. She almost fit.
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Layla_38

When Maggie took her bed back, Layla decided to let her have it and the two took a nap together.  I love you 
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Layla_39

Week 19
My husband Darren, Layla's other favorite napping buddy
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Layla_40
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 1:43 am

omg i love how adorable the napping picture with her and your parent's dog is! cuddle puppy. unfortunately my other dog and her don't get along. samoa wants to play with him but he's an old man and can't handle the puppy energy so he just gets away from her as much as possible lol
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 1:54 am

Haha, yeah, I find usually the older dogs can't handle Layla's energy and they just tell her to back off with a curmudgeonly "ha-rumph." Maggie and Layla actually didn't get along as well as it may look in that picture, but it's not the only time Layla did that with her. Maggie tolerates Layla, but Maggie's such a submissive wimp (admittedly due to lack of socialization with other dogs as a puppy) that she lets Layla walk all over her (figuratively AND literally) and then gets all uppity about it! Weirdos.  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Week 20! I just had her sit and snapped a quick pic for this one. I have no idea how this happened but ever since the first time I told Layla "look at me" when she was very young, she's looked at me. I don't say it very often, but every time I do (and I mean every time), she looks right at me. It's like she knows intuitively what it means, though I never trained her to recognize that phrase.

Anyway, I told her "look at me" just before I took the pic, and this is what happened ...
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Photo13
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Such a petite cutie. I had to teach Samoa that phrase to feed her lol. I make her wait at least ten seconds to eat she had to look at me before hand. Before I taught her that I would try to feed her and she would lunge at the bowl and scratch and act crazy like she was starving to death but now feeding time is much calmer although she still inhales her food it's not as bad since I now feed her out of a puzzle bowl which gains at least two minutes when it used to take her like thirty seconds:-/ crazy puppies
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Happy 21st week, Layla! She's been well exercised the past few days and has a consequence has been on her best behavior, as evidenced here ...

52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Layla_42
Back to top Go down
Ariadne81
Newborn
Newborn
Ariadne81

Female Join date : 2014-01-13

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 6:12 pm

She's beautiful! I love seeing how much she's grown since your first pic of her on this thread! It's awesome that you're doing the pics like this!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Thank you! It's fun for me to go back through the thread and look at how much she's grown in nearly five months, too. It's so great to be able to have those photos from when she was only a day old through now to look back on. Smile
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Sleeping puppy! I hate it when they wake up whenever you make the slightest movement though, why can't they just stay asleep? D:<
Back to top Go down
hrangelotti
Teenager
Teenager
hrangelotti

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 7:04 pm

i've noticed in that picture she is so skinny. but still the same weight as samoa. layla must be a lot taller than samoa i'm guessing? do you know how tall layla is at the shoulder? i measured samoa and she is 16 inches but i noticed that she is getting really chunky looking instead of skinny which she used to be. does that mean she might be getting ready for a growth spurt? lol i'm obviously pretty anxious about samoa's growth. she just seems so much shorter and lighter then other huskies her age :/ she is almost 19 lbs this week Smile
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:29 pm

Layla turned 22 weeks old on Monday. Last weekend we went to a husky meetup with Boston Snow Dogs to celebrate one of the dogs' second birthdays. It was at a rail trail just 15 minutes from our house. It was covered in just the right amount of snow for a good mush. Someone brought a sled and mushed with a two-dog team. There were two skijorers and the rest of us walked. It was a lot of fun, and as soon as Layla saw the sled with the dogs hooked up to it, it's like something clicked in her that she wanted to pull, too! She'll have to wait a while yet, but I'm glad she got to see the older dogs doing what she will be doing soon enough. Smile

The other set of photos I have is from a visit to the Derry Dog Park up in New Hampshire earlier this week. It's much more spacious than the one in Melrose, Mass., that we sometimes go to, and there were a ton of dogs there. Layla got to hang out and make friends with two huskies. I got a picture of her with her new husky friend Sky, who's seven months old. They're similar in size and color, and Sky's dad and I were saying it was sometimes hard to tell them apart!

Boston Snow Dogs birthday mush (Buck, the birthday boy, is in the foreground of the first pic):
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 2014-010

52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 2014-011

Layla and her new friend Sky at the Derry Dog Park
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Photo_31

Layla greeting another new friend, Tanner the six-month-old Jack Russell mix (it's hard to see him but he's behind his dad). She was so funny with him. They had fun playing with each other and a couple times she got on top of him as if mounting him, but instead of humping she just stood there as if protecting him. It was really funny, like she was keeping him warm or something, haha. I wish I'd gotten a photo of it; it was really cute.
52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Photo_32
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*   52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14* - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

52 weeks of Layla *UPDATED 8/8/14*

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next