It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Aggression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
strunkt1210
Newborn
Newborn
strunkt1210

Female Join date : 2013-08-01

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:34 am

I really don't know what to do at this point . I have been consistent with my training against biting sense I've had my puppy but he's almost getting worse about not just biting, but full blown attacking me. Every time we go on walks out of nowhere he will start jumping up at me and growling and biting me resulting in my arms becoming very cut up and drawing blood at times. I hold his mouth closed and say no bite and try to get him to sit and calm down but he will not stop the whole way home . My clothes are all getting ruined and it's really taking a toll on me to have this dog I love so much be so mean to me all the time.
Back to top Go down
strunkt1210
Newborn
Newborn
strunkt1210

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:34 am

I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem and if it gets better? Or does my husky have some behavioral issues?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:36 am

How old is he?
Back to top Go down
strunkt1210
Newborn
Newborn
strunkt1210

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 am

He's four months
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:52 am

Oh yeah. It gets better and honestly its not aggression, he's trying to get you to play. My pup did this too and I thought I had a psycho dog. My arms were all scratched up, and he ripped a couple skirts and pants. The usual advice of yelping or turning my back did nothing to help and actually would just make him more excited. The thing that worked the best for dealing with this on walks was taking a step toward him so he had to jump out of the way, its call yielding. Sometimes it would result in a 10 min battle of wills on the sidewalk, but eventually he realized I wasn't going to play and that I wasn't going to stop until he walked forward.

The other thing that helped a lot was ending the walk. It didn't matter how far from home we were if he started that crap and wouldn't stop I would just pick him up and carry his butt home. It's kind of like saying, 'i'm not having this conversation with you.' Sometimes he would even try and bite my shoulder when I did that, but it didn't matter. Eventually he made the connection that if he started up on that he got carried and didn't get to have a fun walk. He has regressed a bit and started doing it again, but he responds to a correction now and knows I won't put up with it. Dizzy does it when he gets the zoomies, so sometimes I'll just take off running and let him run out the energy for a half a block or so. That helps as well.
Back to top Go down
strunkt1210
Newborn
Newborn
strunkt1210

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks that makes me feel a lot better . Haha my dog does the same thing when I pick him up to take him home . He'll bite my hair and anything else he can grab . Yeah I'll try running him the first half and seeing if that helps . The yelping thing never worked for me either haha my dog is a bully and it fires him up .
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 10:08 am

Don't run him too much because it could injure his joints, but small really short bursts help. The other thing that really helped Dizzy with the biting was going to daycare. The were older dogs that taught him how hard was too hard of a bite and corrected him when he bit too hard or wouldn't leave a dog alone. He's probably teething too, so anything to chew will help him. Take a toy on the walk with you that you can substitute for your arm, ankles, hands, etc. It will get better though, just stick to your guns with training, eventually it will work. Smile
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 10:17 am

wpskier222 wrote:
Don't run him too much because it could injure his joints, but small really short bursts help. The other thing that really helped Dizzy with the biting was going to daycare. The were older dogs that taught him how hard was too hard of a bite and corrected him when he bit too hard or wouldn't leave a dog alone. He's probably teething too, so anything to chew will help him. Take a toy on the walk with you that you can substitute for your arm, ankles, hands, etc. It will get better though, just stick to your guns with training, eventually it will work. Smile
I agree with daycare if its an option. Siku was an absolute terror when he was a puppy, and when he started going to daycare it kind of just stopped. Not only was he tired, but it was really nice to have the dogs correct him in a way that he understands and it just kind of carried over into our house as well. It does get better, and they do grow out of it, as long as you stay firm, which it sounds like your doing a great job of. Siku never did it to me on walks but the second my boyfriend would leave the room, he would attack me and bite me like crazy and then would stop when he saw my boyfriend again, it use to make me cry because he just wouldn't stop and was pretty mean, but daycare fixed a lot of that and if you mix it in with what your doing now, it shouldn't be a problem for to long!
Back to top Go down
Me & Ghost
Puppy
Puppy
Me & Ghost

Female Join date : 2012-11-30

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Oh boy, I know that feeling, lol.
Ghost still does that sometimes. One thing is certain, that is NOT aggression! That is what huskies call "playtime". When they get too excited they start biting and jumping... The movement triggers that. They are after your hands and arms because they move. We learnt with Ghost that if we cross our arms and hands and say "enough" he stops, because the movement stops. If you start running from him ou bouncing away, it only makes it worse because they think you are playing with them. When I am walking Ghost and he starts doing that, I let him grab my hand and stop running. If I leave my hand in his mouth without moving he stops and leaves it, cause there's no fun for him just having the hand there. they like the chasing thing Razz
Hope I was able to help. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aggression  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aggression    Aggression  Empty

Back to top Go down

Aggression

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1