It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
li_izumi
Puppy
Puppy
li_izumi

Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed Empty
PostSubject: Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed   Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 7:49 am

My cats have discovered the puppy isn't leaving and have started a spite pee campaign on his various beds. I have an upstairs (bedtime) crate and a downstairs (daytime crate) and a loose on the floor bed. I know for my part, I need to be vigilant to make sure I keep the various crates closed when he (and I) am not around them to prevent the cats from accessing them.

Besides that though, is there a way for me to be able to wash the pee out of the beds? I have enzyme carpet and hardwood floor cleaners, but was wondering if there was something I could use for the laundry machine.

And while I was at it, any tips for cat spite peeing?
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed   Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 9:05 am

I would still use the enzyme cleaner. Then wash with soap and vinegar.

Do you have a bed with a removeable cover with water proof cover? My cats would pee on my dog beds for years. When I tried again to get more (I threw them all away to prevent the issue), the cats didn't pee, but they have covers that I can easily clean. It helps clean off the dog drool and smell, but I think this would work a lot better too if my cats ever go on them again.

For the cats, where are their litter boxes? I don't think they spite pee as much as having a reason
(unhappy with location/litter, dirty, fighting with other cats, the list goes on and on) and if puppy can get to their litter boxes, they may be nervous to use particularly if enclosed. I would try to section off 2-3 areas with their litter boxes. I have 3 litter boxes and 2 cats. Only 1 of the litter boxes is in the shared section of the house, the other two are in gated parts of my house generally open only to my cats. They still use the box in the area that they share with my puppy, but they generally seem to be pretty tolerant of him and they know if they jump up he won't follow.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed   Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 9:58 am

I agree that you should re-evaluate the litter box situation. I had to add another temporarily when I brought my puppy home so that my male cat wouldn't pee on our rugs. After about a month or two I was able to remove it and go back to the original setup. We have a really small place (studio apartment) and Miles basically barely left his window basket for about a month (except after I put the puppy to bed in his crate). So, I put the box on the floor right next to his basket, and also put his food and water up there. Once he realized that the puppy was scared of him, he got a lot more comfortable and now actually tries to chase Diz around.

Another thing to consider is UTI, I know it seems coincidental, but it could be the added stress of the puppy weakened their immune systems and caused a UTI. Finally, are they male or female and are they fixed? If I suddenly start finding cat pee in weird places, I know which cat is doing it. Its our male cat, Miles. He's fixed, but didn't get neutered until he was almost 2 years old and used to occasionally mark and he definitely peed on Dizzy's bed a couple times. To clean it, I actually hand washed it in the bathtub first. I did a normal laundry detergent and then let the water out of the tub, re-plugged it and dumped some nature's miracle in and washed it again. Then put it in the washing machine with hot water and used downy unstoppables and regular detergent. I just did a google search though and apparently natures miracle makes an enzyme additive (which would be much easier than what I did).

Also, I tend to agree that cats do things out of spite, or at least anger, I'm pretty mine does, but he's kind of an asshole. Wink
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed   Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 10:35 am

I forgot to mention, I also used Feliway for the first 2 months or so in shared areas when I got my puppy. This may be why my cats calmed down so fast. Whenever we are doing major repairs or substantial changes in my household, I plug in my feliway diffusors. They seem to help a lot.
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed   Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 pm

The proper application of road flares and diesel fuel is about the only way I know to get rid of the cat smell from an affected article. pirat 

Back to top Go down
li_izumi
Puppy
Puppy
li_izumi

PostSubject: Re: Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed   Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm trying the wash with vinegar now (it unfortunately didn't finish by the time my lunch break was over, so no drying out in the sun all afternoon. Alas.) Hopefully that will help clear out the smell.

I've got 2 fixed male cats. Genji is nearly 11 and has diabetes. He was just at the vet and they did a variety of tests on him, including a urine analysis because his weight is down quite a bit right now. He comes and goes as he will and the dog seems to bother him very little. Romeo is 8 and more timid. I haven't seen him as much since Jasparr came to live with us, though he has been getting braver. I'm not sure which is the source, or if they both are. I can believe it of either of them.

I've been fortunate that my cats have generally been really laid back and despite recommendations of one box plus one for each cat, I was able to get away with only 1 litter box in the first floor bathroom. I do have baby gates set up so the dog can't get into the bathroom where the litter box is, and they cats have a couple rooms downstairs and the second floor bedroom that also babygated and dog-free. Clearly that isn't sufficient at the moment, so after work I'll be going to get a litter box set up for the bedroom on the second floor. (I really didn't want a litter box in my bedroom (who does?) but you do what ya gotta do I suppose.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed   Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips to wash cat pee out of a dog bed

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1