It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How much exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
johngalt
Newborn
Newborn

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 5:54 pm

I tried searching for a similar thread but found none, so if there is one just redirect me please

Anyways, throughout the summer and beginning of the fall we have been exercising our 1 year old husky 3 times a day. He gets some combination of an hour walk, 40 minute run(~5 miles), 45-60 minutes at the dog park and 35-40 minute walk with a backpack(we just started using this).

The past few days it has gotten pretty cold and I'm not sure that this exercise is going to be enough for the winter (I live in Maryland). I don't have a lot more time to put into this though as it's already about 3 hours a day. I was just wondering how much everyone else does on a daily basis to try to keep their husky controlled? I was going to begin to up these times, but my girlfriend is worried that will just build his endurance even more and I'm worried if we don't all this energy will just store up.

So what do you guys do and recommend doing? He's 13 months old so I know this is when his energy is already super high, but just curious on what others have done as there are only so many hours in a day.

I'm also thinking about running him while I bike?

Edit: one additional question for those who live in areas with somewhat extreme weather changes between seasons, have you noticed that the winter months do require a lot more time for exercise or could this just be an off week?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Wow, you do a lot in one day! I don't do nearly that much, even though I wish I could, neither me or my dogs are morning animals and prefer to sleep in! In the summer, my dogs don't get much exercise, they get a short walk at night or in the morning because its way to hot/humid and they would just prefer to be inside, so we do games and the pool. Now that its getting colder, we have been doing 4 mile bike loop on the days that its cold enough, or do a walk and run then mix that in with daycare on Tuesdays and Thursdays and for mine it seems like enough. In the winter, they get most of there exercise on the weekends where we go for insanely long walks and now we are going to try skijoring this year! But it is harder during the week because its dark in the morning and dark when I get out of work during the winter, and the one park that is near us is completely iced over. So if you feel like you can't do that much during the winter because of the weather, just get some games, puzzles or teach him some new tricks and that in turn will tire him out! It sounds to me like you are doing a great job, and just fit in whatever you can and gage his energy level. Maybe do daycare if you can, afford it and have one near you. Daycare is the best thing that I spend my money on in the winter. They get to play outside all day in the snow, and they are exhausted when they get home!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Yes, look into Bikejoring, where your dog runs and pulls on a line out in front of you on a (mountain) bike, similar to sled dogs pulling a sled in the snow. I take my 3 dogs out daily for 6 miles average. It's enough to keep them under control. I can ride the brakes to add resistance when needed. Since we don't get a lot of snow here, there's nothing better than seeing a Sibe do what it's been bred to do, and that's PULL, snow or not. Look into bikejoring, scootering, carting, etc. It's what I had to do when Paw Paw was younger, as my very long walks were not enough (and would take hours), and there was no way I could run fast enough to wear him down. See if there are local sled dog clubs in your area. They will be able to help you find the necessary gear and fit it properly. Check out sleddogcentral.com too, as I believe they have a list of clubs around the US. I was in your shoes at one point, but bikejoring solved all of my problems. It saves a lot of time, as a 6-mile ride takes us under an hour, and it's enough to calm them for the rest of the day. They will still run around our 1/2 acre yard and play and wrestle, as if they didn't run 6 miles at all, but I can tell the difference compared to a day where they get the day off to rest and recuperate. Good luck!

Here's 2 of my 3 dogs, back when we first started, so you can get an idea of what it looks like:
How much exercise? 096e-1
Back to top Go down
johngalt
Newborn
Newborn

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for the responses! I think I was overreacting because now hes just as tired as usual, but I do like the idea of bikejoring, definitely gonna do that when it gets colder, and I get the equipment.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Where are you in Maryland? We're up by Glen Burnie and frequent Broadneck park in Arnold. Not sure if you've seen on here (I'm kind of bad about posting on here, much better on Facebook), but we've got a Maryland H2M2 group as well.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

How much exercise? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
johngalt
Newborn
Newborn

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks, I live in Frederick so about an hour away. We did go to one meet back in April or May and we've been meaning to go again, hopefully this month we can make it out there. I don't have a Facebook, but my girlfriend does, and we always forget to check the date and location.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyWed Nov 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Daylight savings time has hit where I am (yeah, we don't know why we still do it either) and it's now dark when I leave for work and dark when I come home and that has been really hard on our exercise since it's not safe to be out walking in the dark where I am. Agility course in the back yard has become our new thing and when we move she's going to be on a treadmill.

Teenager
Teenager
moto1087

Male Join date : 2013-07-08

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 11:40 am

TwisterII wrote:
Daylight savings time has hit where I am (yeah, we don't know why we still do it either) and it's now dark when I leave for work and dark when I come home and that has been really hard on our exercise since it's not safe to be out walking in the dark where I am. Agility course in the back yard has become our new thing and when we move she's going to be on a treadmill.
i hear ya, and to top it all off its been non stop raining after work, rikku is going to start going stir crazy soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much exercise?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1