It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Logan Male Agression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

Logan Male Agression  Empty
PostSubject: Logan Male Agression    Logan Male Agression  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi All

today as I was about to take arya & logan for a walk, our neighbors dog an old very friendly Lab was outside our patio door as he spends a lot of his time chilling out on our patio.

Arya & logan were on harnesses and attached to my walking belt and very excited for a walk, As I was locking our door Logan jumped on the Lab's back which looked like play, I don't know if the Lab gave logan a warning or what happened but before I knew it playtime was over and Logan had the Lab by the back of the neck and pinned to the ground and was really going at him. The poor lab was really yelping in distress and Logan was not letting up, it took serious effort/force to get logan off. When I did break it up I so angry I did strike Logan which I am not happy about, it was just reaction and he is not in anyway injured or even put out by it.

Logan is a Malamute, he is not neutered, he was well socialized in daycare up to 6 months of age & Arya is spayed and could not be in heat.

has anyone had a similar problem and seen improvements by neutering , neutering him will be advanced to this week. We do show him but if it were smaller dog I have no doubt in my mind it would be dead.

Logan is the sweetest most lovable dog you would ever meet, but seeing the other side of what he is capable of really gave me a fright.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Logan Male Agression    Logan Male Agression  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 6:04 pm

I know with my Paw Paw, he is an alpha, and as he got older and started maturing (around the same age as your Logan) he would want to sort out his dominance issues with any large, male dogs. He would get into dog fights at the dog park, so we stopped taking him. Everything you explained in detail is the same stuff Paw Paw would do to other dogs. I did not neuter him, as I determined that he did not need to be forced to socialize with other strange dogs anymore. We own 3 dogs, so his pack is all he needs. There have been no real problems within his pack. Our Beowulf is also in tact, and they both know their place, as Paw Paw is dominant over Beowulf, and there are no issues between them. I have read where sometimes neutering helps, sometimes things stay the same, and sometimes they get worse. I know our female alpha German Shepherd got considerably more aggressive after her spay surgery. I don't show any of my pups, and never will, so that wasn't a factor in keeping the 2 boys in tact. I hope you're able to figure it out. Each dog is an individual, so what works for one might not work for another.
Back to top Go down
madisonmenece
Puppy
Puppy
madisonmenece

Male Join date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Logan Male Agression    Logan Male Agression  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 6:15 pm

I know he will not tolerate it when a dog growls at him and quickly makes it known to the other dog through body language Logan is a big boy and knows how to show it.

My dogs are never of the lead, I am just worried if an over friendly off-lead dog comes bounding at him at 20 mph for fun he will not tolerate it.

I did mean to add the Lab was not injured, I went and checked him over and spoke to the owners.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Logan Male Agression    Logan Male Agression  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 6:28 pm

It's been my personal experience that the age of the spay or neuter can have an affect. The younger I have had mine fixed the less hormonal aggression I tend to see in them. I still have an old unfixed male but he never goes anywhere to see other dogs so it hasn't been an issue with him. My dad's female dog was fixed young and socialized and does very well with other despite her being the alpha of her pack. My Kenzi wasn't fixed until I got her. She was around 3 or 4 years and is one of the most dog aggressive dogs I've ever known. I don't know her socialization history but when another female is around that's in heat it will set her off from a mile away. I had a similar experience as you not too long ago when Kenzi attacked my dad's dog (fixed female) and did quite a bit of damage. In the heat of the moment hitting can seem the only way to get things under control. I would get back in the routine of going to doggy daycare if possible after the fixing. See how he does and keep that socialization going.

Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Logan Male Agression    Logan Male Agression  EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:52 pm

Definitely in for answers. Last week I took Ajax to the dog park and for about 30 minutes he was having a great time as usual. Never aggressive, but playing rough with all of the dogs. A new Husky in the park greets him, Ajax does his usual to put his head over the dogs neck, and then he just goes after him. Even in the past when dogs didn't take kindly to it, he just started playing.

Not sure what caused it, but hes about the same age as your pup. He'll get fixed pretty soon to see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Logan Male Agression    Logan Male Agression  Empty

Back to top Go down

Logan Male Agression

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1