It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How to stop the Digging

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

How to stop the Digging Empty
PostSubject: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 10:30 am

Ok so when we put sniper outside in her kennel fro a few hours and come back to get her she is covored in MUD!! from digging at her water bowl then knocking her bowl into the hole and causing a mud puddle! what can we do to stop this LOL we are planning on concreting the entire dog lot. husband doesnt wanna do that cuz then we cant MOVE the lot if we chose too. any suggestions? ive looks at the "diggin bars" online but do they really work?? I am going to lowes this weekend to price some stepping stones. a friend of mine done his lot in stepping stone and then put down stall matts to cushion their feet. so we will see
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 1:21 pm

can you look into a larger dog dish that hooks to the wall so she can't dump it? i have also been told to line the floor with chicken wire under a few " of dirt and have it wrap up the outside of the kennel so they can not dig under and out. the steeping stones might be ok but could get hot in the summer and wear on the knee areas when laying down over time.

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:07 pm

yea i understand its in their nature LOL :-) but i gotta do sumthin! so im going to buy some of the steeping stones and place along the inside edge of the lot where she is digging and see how that goes. if it makes her stop then i will leave it at that...hoping this will work :-) baths everyday are not gonna cut it
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 pm

I made mine an area specifically for digging. Then they never dug up anything.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyWed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah I would buy a sandbox and give her an area that she is allowed to dig in. That would be my advice as well, Eddy Smile

How to stop the Digging Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:56 pm

if you get the stones just for the edge and its just one row of stones be ready for her to move them! i tried that in ours and jack just pushed them out of the way

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Mya digs almost everyday and I have to run outside to stop her...GRR! I don't care about the yard, but her covered in dirt, bringing it in the house, and then not letting me clean her paws and face isn't fun! I must admit though, I felt bad, and just let her go at it last night. She was having fun. She gets her tennis ball puts in the whole digs like crazy to get out out and then puts it back in to do it again...LOL!
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 12:48 pm

LOL yea i hatethe whole cleaning up part! i dont mind if she digs but come on! LOL
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 3:45 pm

LOL! Does she let you clean her up though? Mya HATES it when you try to clean her paws. She gets very upset. Starts biting my hands, eating the paper towel if that's what I'm using, or destroying the towel!!!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 11:38 pm

First I'd get a water dish that you can attach to the fence or somethere where she can't knock it over. Second, sounds gross, but put her poop in the hole. I did that any time Siku would start a new hole and she wouldn't dig there afterward. Guess she thought it was gross too! lol. Now she hardly ever digs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 11:41 pm

SaraB wrote:
Second, sounds gross, but put her poop in the hole. I did that any time Siku would start a new hole and she wouldn't dig there afterward. Guess she thought it was gross too! lol. Now she hardly ever digs.
I really need to start doing this.

How to stop the Digging Hailey10
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Jasper is starting to get into digging now too. I am more tolerant of it because I realize that it is in his nature to do that and it isn't like I am attached to having a pretty backyard, but my husband comes close to blowing a gasket because we just bought this house and he put a lot of blood and sweat into getting the yard to look green again since the last owners neglected the upkeep.

He asked our vet if there was anything she suggested and she said to bury some of his poop in the holes because he shouldn't want to dig where his poop is at. So far it has worked on his old holes, but he just ends up finding a new spot to dig a hole, lol.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Koda wrote:
SaraB wrote:
Second, sounds gross, but put her poop in the hole. I did that any time Siku would start a new hole and she wouldn't dig there afterward. Guess she thought it was gross too! lol. Now she hardly ever digs.
I really need to start doing this.

Has this worked for you guys? I'm REALLLLLYYYY having a digging problem with the two of them now. It's pretty bad actually. I don't care about the yard, but the amount of dirt that they bring in is ridiculous. It's like I spend an hour cleaning for it to be dirty within 20min. Not to mention having to wipe their faces and paws and having to fight with them because they don't like their paws being cleaned. These furballs lay on my bed so i have to clean them well. I'm a bit frustrated. Seems like I'm always covered in dirt Mad
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:14 pm

Oh, and I'm no clean freak by any means so I'm totally not exaggerating...lol
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:30 pm

It worked for me. But I've gotten lazy about it and have noticed a couple of new holes. She had stopped for a while, but has started again.

How to stop the Digging Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:34 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Oh, and I'm no clean freak by any means so I'm totally not exaggerating...lol

I can't imagine having two diggers, lol. I was getting annoyed with Jasper digging, especially since it has been raining nonstop these last two weeks, so he has been tracking mud into the house and I had just shampooed the carpet a week and a half ago for our Christmas party, but now you can't even tell. It is dirty with one dog, I can't imagine if I had to deal with two dogs getting muddy paw prints all over the house. Luckily our other two dogs don't dig at all.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:37 pm

The poop thing really works. My girls love to dig. I filled up their "main hole" (yes it's that bad) with poop and they've yet to restart their hole or dig another!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:41 pm

arooroomom wrote:
The poop thing really works. My girls love to dig. I filled up their "main hole" (yes it's that bad) with poop and they've yet to restart their hole or dig another!

Oh trust me, I know what you mean about the main holes. They have 3 of those which they fight over and several smaller ones. AHHH! I'm going to try this tomorrow and I think it might work for my 4yr old, but not too sure about the pup since he doesn't seem to mind poop too much..lol. It's worth a try tough. What's the worst that can happen I'll have to clean muddy poopy paws. Can't get any better than that, huh? lol
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Laughing Good luck!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Thanks Caroline! I think I need it!!! lol
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 11:39 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 1:02 am

A chain link fence surrounds Bodhi's kennel. It's sunk in concrete, and the concrete extends about four inches on the outside of the fence. Bodhi lies down and reaches under the bottom of the fence past the concrete lip to the dirt. Then he drags the dirt into his kennel, gets it all over himself and becomes a mud ball when it rains.
I'm going to Home Depot this weekend for cinder blocks with which I am going to replace the dirt on the outside edge of the run.
But then he'll probably figure out some new way to get at the dirt that I haven't yet considered.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Ok Sooo .. I Have Mine Up On Skids .. Wooden Pallets ... Works great No Hole Diggin No Dirt Not sloppy If It Rains or Anything I Love it You can get Skids Almost Anywhere for Free .. get Concrete Skids . the Boards Are reallly close together Smile Hope it Helps
If u Use Chikenwire It May Help BUt WILL Cut Their feet & Paws UP . Here is How Mines Laid Out Hope it Helps Wink

How to stop the Digging 163935_485056598123_733943123_6087014_4525268_n

How to stop the Digging 165252_487156543123_733943123_6121828_1229511_n

How to stop the Digging 166494_485056253123_733943123_6087012_2214882_n1
Back to top Go down
grioghair
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging EmptyThu May 02, 2013 11:03 pm

I have the same problem. I have a young husky, and an older malamute. The husky seems to encourage the older dog - but the husky is the worst. We had a hole under a tree which was big enough to bury someone in. I filled some of them in the other day. Laid chicken wire below the surface. Dogs are supposed to hate the feel of chicken wire on their paws. She figured out within two days that she could dig the wire out around the edges and keep on digging below it. It is not as big, but I think she will figure out how to dig it all out, given time.

I will probably try the poop idea and see if that works.

Thanks,

Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the Digging   How to stop the Digging Empty

Back to top Go down

How to stop the Digging

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1