It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

what puppy food is everyone useing?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Monaleto
Newborn
Newborn
Monaleto

Female Join date : 2013-04-10

food - what puppy food is everyone useing? Empty
PostSubject: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 12:38 am

Thinking of making a change as Niki has been a bit fussy with her food lately. May try Blue buffalo. My friend who has malamute's said they really like it. Any suggestions. Also she is doing fine today, almost like nothing happened yesterday.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 4:28 am

I feed blue buffalo freedom as a puppy food because the store here doesn't have wilderness. How has she been fussy? Its really not recommended to switch a dog's food just because they skip a meal or two. Huskies are prone to skipping meals. If you switch her food when you think she's bored, she'll do it every time she wants something different and you'll always be switching food. Just not worth it and expensive. She wont starve herself and she will eat when she feels like it. Sometimes you gotta be more stubborn than the husky! Wink
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

Female Join date : 2013-02-09

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 1:08 pm

I have fed Kiya Merricks puppy food. She loves it and we have never had an issue with it. When she gets older I will keep her on Merricks, but will switch up the flavor.
Back to top Go down
GingerDog
Puppy
Puppy
GingerDog

Female Join date : 2013-02-03

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 2:39 pm

I fed Natures Variety puppy food
Back to top Go down
seanbrunett
Teenager
Teenager
seanbrunett

Male Join date : 2013-05-13

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 12:27 am

Orijen Large-Breed Puppy food. We also tried Orijen's other puppy food, but she preferred the large-breed food. She loves it!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:17 am

I feed an all-life-stages food, Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. Layla loves it and goes bananas whenever we say it's time for "din-dins"! It's got a little more protein than some foods and has real meat at the first ingredient. We plan on training her as a recreational sled dog when she's older, so this is a good food to serve to dogs that are more "athletic."

Maybe you won't have to switch the type of food you use if you make it more interesting by serving it in a food-dispensing toy like a Kong Wobbler or a treat-dispensing ball? That'll stimulate her mind and make it more interesting for her to get at her food. I serve Layla's breakfast this way, partially because she eats pretty fast at this stage in her life and also because she gets to use her mind and it's so much fun to watch her do it!

If you're REALLY worried about her being picky you could also try mixing in a few very high-value treats or pieces of meat like chicken or turkey with her kibble to make it more appetizing. Maybe do this during one meal per day so she doesn't learn to expect it at every meal. Then once her eating improves you can take the high-value treats out.

But, I totally agree with Roxy that you should be more stubborn than your dog first when it comes to food. Huskies know who the lenient one and who the strict one is in the family and will quickly learn to use that to get what they want. This can cause them to become an even MORE picky eater in the long run. So, I would first follow Roxy's advice and wait it out. Huskies were bred to run the longest distance possible on the least amount of food possible, so many are able to self-regulate their food intake and will not eat if they are not hungry. Believe me, if she is hungry, she will eat whatever you put in front of her!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 2:33 am

TOTW for me, but as long as its a good food I wouldn't switch. No picky eaters at my house Very Happy

Check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/ for good brands to use.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 10:19 am

Mobezilla wrote:
TOTW for me, but as long as its a good food I wouldn't switch. No picky eaters at my house Very Happy

Check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/ for good brands to use.
Aww, Diamond Naturals isn't on there ... but neither is TOTW? What's up with that?
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 12:47 pm

capellalayla wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

Aww, Diamond Naturals isn't on there ... but neither is TOTW? What's up with that?
Ah yeah just hit 5 star, forgot recently TOTW went down so most their food is ranked at 4 and 4.5

Let there be a second list! http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/4-star/
Back to top Go down
Huskydad
Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 pm

TOTW here. Just recently went to their adult dog food.
Back to top Go down
JoJo'shuskies
Newborn
Newborn
JoJo'shuskies

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 pm

we use Back to Basics...have not had any problems.
Back to top Go down
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

Male Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Earthborn puppy.  It's pricey but all my other dogs are in excellent health and their coats look really good.

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/puppy_vantage/
Back to top Go down
Inuk
Newborn
Newborn
Inuk

Male Join date : 2013-10-23

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 12:42 pm

I've switched to taste of the wild because he often had runny poop. Now it's consistently solid.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 12:48 pm

I use diamond naturals extreme athlete like capellalayla. It's cheaper than TOTW and Yukon does really well on it, so I like it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 1:05 pm

AMB wrote:
I use diamond naturals extreme athlete like capellalayla. It's cheaper than TOTW and Yukon does really well on it, so I like it. Razz

It's a really good food but FYI for anyone it has grain in it. Nothing against you Aidan, I'm just of the mindset that dogs aren't made to process grains, and shouldn't eat it. So for anyone looking into foods, always check your ingredient list.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh yeah, it does have several grains in it. Originally I didn't really want to use the food because of that; however it doesn't have any corn or soy in it and all grain isn't necessarily bad per se, as long as it's not overused. It's just a filler ingredient that doesn't add much nutritional value to a dog's food. :/
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 1:42 pm

AMB wrote:
Oh yeah, it does have several grains in it. Originally I didn't really want to use the food because of that; however it doesn't have any corn or soy in it and all grain isn't necessarily bad per se, as long as it's not overused. It's just a filler ingredient that doesn't add much nutritional value to a dog's food. :/

Yeah I just don't like to give my dogs any grain whatsoever, filler or not Very Happy But we're switching over the PMD as soon as I have a large enough freezer so that is probably part of my mindset.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 1:50 pm

A lot of people like grain free food for good reasons, and dogs weren't meant to eat it like you said. I personally don't care either way as long as it's not harmful to them or in large amounts (and thus lowering the quality of the food.) But that might just be me. xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what puppy food is everyone useing?   food - what puppy food is everyone useing? Empty

Back to top Go down

what puppy food is everyone useing?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1