It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Luna has no friends?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kelly.hynum
Puppy
Puppy
kelly.hynum

Female Join date : 2013-03-09

Luna has no friends? Empty
PostSubject: Luna has no friends?   Luna has no friends? EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Every time our Luna meets another dog, the other dogs don't seem to like her. They will growl and not play with her. I've never introduced her to another husky though. Has anyone else had this problem with other dog breeds not liking their husky? I mean, it's not because she is hyper and obnoxious towards them or anything. It's almost an immediate dislike from the other dogs. For instance, a friend of ours brought his dog over today and his dog sniffed Luna twice and then started growling. I don't get it. Is there some kind of odor huskies emit? Or is it because she looks kind of like a wolf and is intimidating? Anyone got any ideas? Luna just wants to play but, poor thing, no other dogs want to play with her.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Luna has no friends?   Luna has no friends? EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 6:33 pm

I doubt that there is a definitive reason your dog is being singled out by dogs she meets. Dogs communicate in many ways and they definitely don't care what another dog looks like. It is not like they have ever seen a wolf before anyways so how would they know, and if they did ever see a wolf they would think it's a dog...the energy level your dog has can definitely intimidate or scare another dog especially if they are jumping and playful. Your dog may be in estrus or releasing those hormones if she is spayed which can cause reactions in other dogs. Point is there are too many reasons a dog may growl at another dog. Not to worry though, some dogs just don't like others and their can be tons of explanations. Try going to a dog park and see how that plays out.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Luna has no friends?   Luna has no friends? EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 10:35 pm

How old is she? A lot of adult dogs don't like puppies and really can have issues with teenage dogs. I think because puppies have a lot of energy.

I have a pitbull mix and she has two husky friends and she doesn't react to them any differently than any of her other friends.

There is a Germain Shepard who is in that puppy stage where he looks like a small adult but he still acts like a puppy and all the adult dogs get frustrated with him easily.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
kelly.hynum
Puppy
Puppy
kelly.hynum

Female Join date : 2013-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Luna has no friends?   Luna has no friends? EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 11:48 pm

She is spayed. And she is a year and 7 months old. She has been around dogs of different ages, dogs her same age, and even dogs that "are friendly with every dog they've ever met". We don't have dog parks around here, so unfortunately I can't take her to try that out.Sad 
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Luna has no friends?   Luna has no friends? EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 3:30 am

Don't worry I've found the same thing with Orion nobody likes him lol
I've found a lot of it is to do with the Huskies natural stance - Standing proud with ears pricked forward and tail up is in normal doggy body language quite aggressive, but with huskies it is just how they are. Different breeds in general seem to "read" huskies differently, for example I take Orion to rally obedience and agility classes and of course most dogs there are border collies. Every single border collie we have met has immediately disliked Orion and been extremely wary of him, the same for Jack russells. On the other hand boxers seem to take to him well and so do labs and a Samoyed that we met last week took one look at Orion and was so excited to come play he ripped the leash out of his owners hand to get to us Razz 
I'm sure it is nothing to do with Luna personally Smile
Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Luna has no friends?   Luna has no friends? EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 5:32 am

I've noticed the same thing Olivia mentions with both Nunya and Snoopy. Nunya LOVES other dogs and throws a lot of calming, submissive, and appeasement signals, but the way he stands throws some other dogs off and they just don't like him. Snoopy is just a jerk and he looks like a jerk.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Luna has no friends?   Luna has no friends? EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Here's a really helpful thread in here about dog body language. Maybe you can watch Luna and see what kind of signals she's sending. Smile

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t7429-a-guide-on-dog-body-language?highlight=Body

In terms of huskies liking other huskies better, I do notice they really gravitate towards each other when I'm at the dog park. Dizzy can be in the middle of playing full on with another dog and if a husky comes in he's gotta go say hi, and usually ends up following him or her around, it's pretty cute. A few weeks ago, Dizzy was there and so were three of his husky girls, Rosey (his 'girlfriend'), Zara, and Luna and they were all running around acting like a little pack. It was amazing to watch. Especial when they would interact with another non-husky. They would all surround the dog and sniff and greet and then if one played with the other dog the other three would watch. When the one playing walked away, another would dart in to play while the three remaining would stand and watch. Almost like watching a pack surround and circle prey. We broke it up pretty quick but it was fascinating!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luna has no friends?   Luna has no friends? Empty

Back to top Go down

Luna has no friends?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1