It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dead Husky - 13 Months

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
APIRRING
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Dead Husky  - 13 Months Empty
PostSubject: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Good Evening,

Today has been a trying day for my family and I.  Our 13 month old husky, Cal, had a massive heart attack and died in my father's arms this morning while out on a walk.  

Cal was a bit of a bigger husky, not in weight but in stature. At his last weigh-in at Banfield Pet Hospital he was ~70 lbs.  

Putting a dog down due to age and illness is a very different feeling than having a healthy (or seemed to be) puppy die so suddenly.  

Has ANYONE heard of this happening before? Or could shed some light on what happeend? We are devastated.

Thank you

Drew Pirring
Back to top Go down
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm so sorry. Sad . Sending hugs your way.
Hopeful someone can help shed some light on what may have happened.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 11:05 pm

So sorry for your loss. Sad
Back to top Go down
Smokey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 4:46 am

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. It hurts...

I haven't seen this occurring in huskies but in GSDs it's not uncommon to have a congenital heart problem that can result in such a sudden death. I've seen it posted on my GSD forum a few times. With genetic problems like this there's not much you can do...

My prayers are with you...
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 6:33 am

I´m sorry for your loss, can´t imagine how you must feel right now.

I know no other case where a dog died so young through a heart attack, but I think something wasn´t right with his heart right form the start. Maybe it was by accident that he was born with a weak heart, maybe the breeder is to blame. What ever it is it does not change the situation now.

Now he is without pain and you will see him again one day.
Back to top Go down
kmason
Newborn
Newborn
kmason

Female Join date : 2012-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 9:51 am

I am so sorry for your loss.  We lost our 18 month old husky Moose this year from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  I empathize with your shock at the suddenness of it all.  I never knew I could grieve so much over a dog.  It will ease with time but I am sure it is very difficult right now.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:22 am

So sorry, what a horrible event to have happen. Please know that really sounds like the little guy was born with a bad heart and nothing your family did or did not do was going to change that! Grieve for your friend but don't blame yourself for the loss.
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:36 am

I'm so sorry for your loss, I couldn't even imagine the feelings your all having. Be at peace that it sounds like he didn't suffer at all and went quick. He was probably born with a heart issue and came into your lives for all the love that was possible to receive.
RIP Cal, run free baby
Back to top Go down
cameronmayers
Newborn
Newborn
cameronmayers

Male Join date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Heartbreaking Sad I'm so sorry to hear that.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 12:58 pm

So sorry for your loss..
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 pm

I can't shed some light on what happened, but I am so very sorry to hear this. I agree with Christine, he may have been born with some kind of heart condition?

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 pm

im so sorry for your sudden loss, can you contact who ever you got the puppy from and talk to them, if anything they need to know there may be a genetic disorder. you could do an autopsy and look at the heart, thats then only thing that will really tell you.

Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 2:56 pm

jbealer wrote:
im so sorry for your sudden loss, can you contact who ever you got the puppy from and talk to them, if anything they need to know there may be a genetic disorder. you could do an autopsy and look at the heart, thats then only thing that will really tell you.  

Thank you for your response...

I found him on Craigslist at 7 weeks old in January of this year.   He had zero paperwork, I believe he was stolen. But what a beautiful dog he turned out to be.  My girlfriend is a doctor, and she stipulated what happened as well as the vet we spoke to this morning.  

He died of a heart disorder, very rare and could only be picked up by an EKG.

I miss my little buddy
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Losing a dog is horrible. I am so sorry for what you are going through. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 6:03 pm

I am really sorry about your loss.
I still miss my girl Tasha.
Back to top Go down
ChillyBeach
Teenager
Teenager
ChillyBeach

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Thoughts and prayers with you.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 12:21 am

I am so sorry for your loss. It would be extremely difficult to suddenly lose a beloved family member so young and unexpected. I can't imagine what you're going through right now. Stay strong.

I agree with the others, he was probably born with a weak heart. Seeing that he was exercising when he passed, his heart was probably working pretty hard to keep up with him. With him being a bigger boy, it was probably working twice as hard as it would for a smaller puppy.

Run free, Cal.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 1:06 am

Ouch, that really stinks. Sorry for your loss.

My guess would be that you're right, he was probably stolen or at the very least poorly bred. Either way hang in there and I hope you feel better soon.
Back to top Go down
Alicia22
Puppy
Puppy
Alicia22

Female Join date : 2013-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Sad So sorry for your loss, it breaks my heart.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 11:35 pm

So sorry for your loss, your family is in my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dead Husky - 13 Months   Dead Husky  - 13 Months Empty

Back to top Go down

Dead Husky - 13 Months

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1