It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

Male Join date : 2012-11-03

Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky Empty
PostSubject: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:27 pm

I need some advice on Smoky, our blind husky we rescued last summer. He was heartworm positive (high positive) and we've been treating him holistically and he's in much better shape. He's put on weight (a little too much actually) but is so happy. Anyway, the reason for this post...how to bathe him. We tried to bathe him after we got him but because he's blind, he doesn't like unfamiliar confined spaces. He thrashes all over the place and it sounds like he's being murdered. There's a place in town that's a Car Wash/Dog Wash...yeah kind of weird but they have a big tub you can put him in and a lot of water volume. We've thought about taking him there but I'm just not sure what to do. He still stinks and doesn't really do anything to get dirty except dig or chase the occasional rabbit (very impressive for a blind dog). Does anybody have any advice? Maybe an experienced groomer?
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:47 pm

I think I would personally take him to an experienced groomer, especially if you can find one that has had experience with blind dogs.
Back to top Go down
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:55 pm

histi wrote:
I think I would personally take him to an experienced groomer, especially if you can find one that has had experience with blind dogs.

If I did this, I have to think that being there with him may be calming...what do you think?
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 5:57 pm

It is a good idea if you are there, but YOU need to remain calm, I would imagine being blind makes him pick up on your energy even more Smile
Back to top Go down
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 6:25 pm

histi wrote:
It is a good idea if you are there, but YOU need to remain calm, I would imagine being blind makes him pick up on your energy even more Smile

Well, I'm fairly calm and he gravitates towards me anyway. I'll never forget when I picked him up from getting neutered. He was in a cage laying down and when he heard my voice he came to life...brought me to tears. I'll start with my groomer then.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Even better Smile sounds like your a good person for your husky to be with Smile Do you know if he was blind all his life? would love to see a pic of him if you can too Smile
Back to top Go down
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm not sure but I suspect that he used to see at one time.  We didn't know at the time that he was blind and neither did the shelter (they had about 100 dogs at the time). We got him home and he kept bumping into things and wouldn't fetch a ball.  I mean, what husky doesn't like to play fetch?  Can you imagine throwing a ball and see a blank expression?  It's funny now but at the time it's like "honey, there's something off with this dog".  Once we discovered that he was blind we wanted to keep him even more.  So, we took him to a veterinary ophthalmologist about a month after rescuing him.  He was diagnosed with Progressive Retinal Atrohpy (PRA) and cannot see anything...not even light or dark.  He gets around amazingly well and even runs with me.  Such an amazing dog.

Here are some pics.  Hope it's ok to hijack my own thread:

Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky Img_1110
Smoky had toilet paper that Miska brought to him.  She has destroyed so many rolls that I've lost count.  This was a good picture though...as though he's saying "what?"

Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky Img_1111
Here's Miska with the destroyed toilet paper.  She's a husky/pyrenees mix.  She was a rescue as well.

Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky Img_1210
This is Kodiak saying Merry Christmas!  We rescued him a few days ago.  He was wondering around with no identification.  Nobody claimed him.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 pm

wow they are all so beautiful!! I like especially that they are all rescued Smile
Back to top Go down
proudsoonersfan
Newborn
Newborn
proudsoonersfan

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky EmptyMon Dec 16, 2013 6:26 pm

I called my groomer and they said that sometimes they do better without their owner's presence.  They did agree to let me stay in the lobby just in case.  Now I need to get to work on removing the rest of his blown coat!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky   Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on Bathing a Blind Husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1