It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How long should i stay home with a new Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ausibe
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-12-24

How long should i stay home with a new Puppy Empty
PostSubject: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 11:49 pm

Okay guys,

I've done a quick search but couldn't seem to find anything so i hope im not repeating here.

I am looking into purchasing a husky pup from a breeder here in australia, i have decided this is what i want after a lot of research and now i have found an unanswered question.

after the 8 weeks when i get to take my puppy home how long should i take off work to stay with him/her ? I know huskies can be a people dependant breed even if it's just that they want to sit in the same room as you and i'd much rather give this puppy a good start at it's new home than have troubles with it in the long run due to anxiety etc.

so if anyone could throw some advice my way it would be greatly appreciated Smile thanks!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 12:58 am

I don't think there can any definitive amount of time. A legitimate generalization though, more is better than less.

I managed to take a full week off, flanked by my weekends, so I had a full 10 days off when we took ours home.

First and foremost housetraining is going to be better off with more time off. The first week is a pee and poop festival and you'll benefit from being around full time as much as possible.

Not to mention that the first few days are really stressful on the pups and the more you are around the better it'll be.

I think your pup will be fine one way or the other eventually; having more time off right up front will just make it easier for you, probably more so than for the pup.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Ausibe
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 1:05 am

Thanks for that Jeff!

I was thinking two weeks aswell similar to what you have done, I think the GF will be the one to stress about the 1's & 2's from the dog around the house more than i will so probably better i do it for her sake and then in turn mine haha
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 am

Two weeks is more than enough.

You can set up routines, enforce boundaries, and set the precedent for the pup very well in that time. This is plenty of time to set the precedents too as to what you expect of the pup in terms of behavior and expectations. This will give you the luxury of taking your time, adjusting, and settling in yourself.

Of course, the downside is that the pup might start to perceive your regularity as normal and then freak out more once you all are gone.

Such is the dilemma of life.

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 1:46 am

A good idea is also that puppy as a rule of thumb can only hold it for as many hours as months old they are. So I am going to try to keep that in mind with how long I am going to try to be gone. I managed to get till he is 10 1/2 weeks old. But I have friends and family who are going to check in on him while I am at work and I am going to show up in the middle of the day on my lunch break. I waited to get my puppy till I could two weeks off and had people who can help while he is young.

But if I could take more time off I would.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 2:20 am

Great to see another Aussie here. My 8 week will be coming home on Thursday, I work from home so I am fortunate in regards to your query.

Where is Oz are you, and do you mind me asking which breeders you are talking to? I spent around 8 months researching until I met the breeder I liked. You can PM me if you are not comfortable posting names.

The breeder's bitches whom I met at a sled dog open day had a couple of silent heats in a row, so we missed out on a couple of occasions, she was very kind in recommending breeders interstate that she knew to have excellent dogs and attitude and also a few to stay away from.

Just be aware that some (quite a few) breeders in Oz want to desex between 6 and 8 weeks of age!!! So check this out. It is a practise that I don't like at all, despite what these people will tell you about it being fine.
Back to top Go down
Ausibe
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 2:28 am

Yonjuro wrote:
Great to see another Aussie here. My 8 week will be coming home on Thursday, I work from home so I am fortunate in regards to your query.

Where is Oz are you, and do you mind me asking which breeders you are talking to? I spent around 8 months researching until I met the breeder I liked. You can PM me if you are not comfortable posting names.

The breeder's bitches whom I met at a sled dog open day had a couple of silent heats in a row, so we missed out on a couple of occasions, she was very kind in recommending breeders interstate that she knew to have excellent dogs and attitude and also a few to stay away from.

Just be aware that some (quite a few) breeders in Oz want to desex between 6 and 8 weeks of age!!! So check this out. It is a practise that I don't like at all, despite what these people will tell you about it being fine.

Hi Yonjuro,

I'm South of the River in Western australia.

i also found that a lot of breeders in oz want to desex at that age, i thought it may hinder the dogs personality and even growth ? (anyone should feel free to correct me), I've been talking to jentol kennels i haven't talked to many breeders as yet because i'm still in the process if you want to throw some recommendations my way it'd be greatly appreciated either by pm or on here im not fussed.

wouldn't bringing a pup from over east be a bit stressful on the dog during travel ?
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 3:53 am

I'll send you a PM of whom I liked the most in WA.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
Ausibe
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 4:23 am

Thanks for the help Yonjuro!
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 9:52 am

I would say get the dog on a Thursday, take off Friday and you'll have a long weekend to spend with the pup. I would hire someone to come in and let the out out unless you can come home on a lunch break or something.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 10:25 am

When I got Diz, he was 9 weeks. I took a full week off, and then the second week, I took half days, and would come home at lunch time to let him out. I definitely tried to implement a similar schedule to when I would be at work though. Same wake up time, and morning routine, along with working on crate training and leaving the apartment. It helped ease the transition to when I went back to work. I highly recommend doing something similar. Especially crate training and coming and going from the house like you would for work. Smile
Back to top Go down
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 1:28 am

when I got kibs I couldn't really take off too much- just don't have the luxury. but I got her over a long weekend, came home during breaks and lunch and hubbys schedule for work was different from mine which meant she wasn't alone too much. I don't think you have to take tons of time if you don't have it as long as you can manage it so puppy gets out regularly for potty time and play time. of course, if I could take a full week off to of introduced her to our house it would have been really nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long should i stay home with a new Puppy   How long should i stay home with a new Puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

How long should i stay home with a new Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1