It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Rollerblading - all about it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

Rollerblading - all about it Empty
PostSubject: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:55 pm

So i am planning a lot of sports to do with my husky, and i was thinking about rollerblading, but i don't think i have the guts to do it. anyway i live near cars, so i thought about going rollerblading in the park, even if there are trees, it's safer (i think) , and i wanna ask these questions:
  • Can i rollerblade on the grass?

• Do my rollerblades must be super new and really good, or i can just buy them in the thrift shop?

• Shoud i be scared about too fast'ness?

• How can i stop, when i want to, couse i don't think my girl will learn those commands? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:18 pm

You should check out off road/all terrain skates for skating in grass and off of concrete. Regular inline skates would not work in the grass.

Skorpion skates are popular all terrain skates.

Your skates do not have to be new, but with them, as with most sports gear, you get what you pay for. Skates of higher quality with better durability are going to cost more money. Thrift stores are hit or miss, but if you can luck out and find a good pair in one, then that is awesome.

My take on being scared of speed is that---if you have to ask, then yes, you should be scared. You should be an excellent skater with a lot of confidence and skill before skating with your dog. You are both at serious risk for injury if you aren't.

There are lines you can buy that have quickly detachable clips that will separate the two of you in an accident. Ruffwear makes one, for example.

As for the commands, once again, if she hasn't learned them, don't take her skating. You want to make sure she is trained in advance before putting yourselves at risk. If she isn't listening to you and doing what she wants whenever, you're not gonna have fun or be safe.

Since your girl is too young to skate right now anyway, you have plenty of time to work on her training and build up your skills as a skater.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:26 pm

but we are always bad training, so can someone give me links for training those HUSKY aproved commands? couse i mean, when you are outside, huskies don't listen much, like off leash - don't listen much
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 7:39 pm

They do not listen much off leash, that is right. But they are working dogs who are designed and bred to pull and when they are hooked up to a pulling rig with a line they switch into another mode of being.  

Part of the problem that people have with them when they are just pets or companion animals is that they are working dogs with a specific design and purpose and they need, as adults, an outlet of some kind for this working nature.  

So their obedience, as it were, when they are working for you will be much better than it is when they are just being pets or companions, or when they are free to roam and be themselves.  They run away and do poorly off leash, generally, because they are working dogs with a strong prey drive.  

You can search for "sledding commands" or "dog pulling commands" online, on youtube, or on here to see the whole system.

Generally, it's

"hike" or "mush" for *go/pull*
"gee" for *right*
"haw" for *left*
"whoa" or "easy" for *slow down*
"on by" for *pay attention and stay on course".  

Those are the basics.

I started jogging with mine, he's just over a year old, in grass with a pulling harness and the sense of fulfillment and satisfaction he has while doing this is breathtaking. There is nothing like watching your Husky work for you.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 am

I havnt got to rollerblade with koda yet but i plan on doing it when it warms up a little now that he is a year old. Asfar as getting rollerblades, i personally would never ever by a used pair, you want the fit to be perfect, and make it fit to your own foot eventually the more you wear a new pair. If you by a used one the cushion is a little worn out and already molded in the shape as the first person that wore it. This is the same rules i follow when i get snowboarding boots. I already need to get a new pair though cause i feel my foot isnt as tight as it should be in certain spots so my board is less reactive cause i got more "wiggle room in my foot" its similar to rollerblades. If i were you though i would defintly get very good at rollerblading by yourself before you do it with your dog. If your worried about speed and stopping, your probably not there yet, but just train yourself very well then it should be fun with ur dog.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:12 am

we will, se, and buy an x harness from alpine outfitters, but i don't think she will learn that fast. BUT WE WILL SEE
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 10:38 am

Great advice so far, but I would add that you will want to have two separate commands for slowing down and stop. For us (on our short jogs on grass) "easy" is *slow down* and "whoa" is *stop*

You'll be amazed at how she learns, it's in her DNA. When on a normal walk, Diz can't walk by a dog without trying to say hi and play, but if we're jogging, he'll glance or step slightly in their direction to catch a whiff of sent, but will continue running. It's pretty cool to see their work brain kick into gear. I can't wait until he's old enough to take on real runs. I'd start the training on regular walks and short jogs before you attempt skates. When you do attempt skates get your self some serious safety gear. Helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards. I'd also make sure you have a quick release and a line with shock absorbtion.

Is biking an option for you? There are accessories that you can get that attach to the side of the bike. You could use those to get started teaching commands and getting comfortable on skates. Skating is exhilarating and terrifying with the power of a husky.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:14 am

yeah, will get a springer. can you tell me what are quick release and a line with shock absorbtion?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 am

A quick release is a mechanism that connects your line to your mushers belt, basically it allows you to release the line/dog in case of an emergency (if your dog ends up on the other side of a tree as you do or something similar).

Here is a great reference for all kinds of dog sport equipment: http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/scripts/gettingstarted.asp

The quote below is directly from their website. A shock absorbing leash/line helps a lot if your pup decides to veer off in a different direction or chase something.

A shockline is a bungee section that would go in-between the gangline and your sled or cart and is designed to provide shock absorption from the sudden jerking motion that often occurs with a team of overly excited dogs that just want to run. Most mushers use this but some prefer not to. It is also available in a heavy duty, cable-filled version for bigger teams.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:33 am

wait, you mean the dog will unleash, and just run away? nope, thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 am

It's better than serious harm to you or the dog. Imagine the two of you on opposite side of a tree and your dog slamming into as the lead tightens with you on the other side. It would be as bad as the dog getting hit by a car. It's for emergencies only, but it's an important component for safety.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 am

i don't think so, couse then if it runs away i could never see her again, but i would never go by trees
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 am

Well in the situation where you would need to use it you are probably going to be tumbling on the ground and making bizarre noises, so that would probably be more interesting to your Husky than running for the sake of running.

Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it EmptyWed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 am

i don;t think she would care Very Happy couse she runned away when we played in snow, and she slipped out of her harness, which she runed to a place where we always go - on a destructed house, where what left is a 60cm height flooring Very Happy so i walked to her and tried making puppy noises until she started looking into me and coming to me. so i catched her, and sit there for 5 mins taking my breath
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rollerblading - all about it   Rollerblading - all about it Empty

Back to top Go down

Rollerblading - all about it

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1