It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Also representing the Lone Star State

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kelub
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-01-09

Also representing the Lone Star State Empty
PostSubject: Also representing the Lone Star State   Also representing the Lone Star State EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 am

Hi all, wanted to introduce ourselves. We picked up our little girl 2 and a half weeks ago. Her name is Khaleesi. (I'm going to try and insert an image from the mobile browser...) Also representing the Lone Star State Image
She's going on 9 weeks old now. Our first Husky; we have an English shepherd (older and with cancer so likely not with us much longer), a yorkie, 3 cats, chickens, fish, and lizards, so we're a bit of a zoo here. (Oh, and 3 kids.)

We have a little over 2 acres for Khaleesi to explore, and sometimes she checks things out with the other dogs, but she seems to enjoy hanging out inside the most. She's full of personality and is a real princess, pouting when she gets scolded and always the center of attention.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi! If the pic didn't work I'll try to fix it from the computer later.
Back to top Go down
Hollyfrost
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Also representing the Lone Star State   Also representing the Lone Star State EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:26 am

Welcome! Your puppy is adorable <3 Looking forward to follow her!
Back to top Go down
ivyjeanholland
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Also representing the Lone Star State   Also representing the Lone Star State EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:31 pm

Love the name!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Also representing the Lone Star State   Also representing the Lone Star State EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Welcome! I'm from Texas too. Smile

Khaleesi is beautiful and I love that show! Reading the books now. Did you know that Khal Drogo was in Galveston last weekend? He was at a Space Con lol.

I'm not sure how you are letting Khaleesi explore (on lead or off lead). But just a tip for you, Siberians are not typically good off leash (i.e. not contained within a fence). Speaking from experience, I volunteer with a husky rescue and the number one reason why we always get huskies is because they've escaped the yard or ran off from their owner. They love to run and once they escape, survival tactics kick in and they may forget how to react when you call their name.

I'm not trying to control you or scare you off, I just know how much I love my baby and felt you would want to know. You're free to do whatever you want, just wanted to give you a fair warning because I care. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Also representing the Lone Star State   Also representing the Lone Star State EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi there and welcome!

Beautiful pup and love the name as well  wave 
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Also representing the Lone Star State   Also representing the Lone Star State EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Hello from Karma, Kato, and I.  wave 
Back to top Go down
Kelub
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Also representing the Lone Star State   Also representing the Lone Star State EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies! We've been coming to the site for a couple of weeks as guests and looking at pictures, reading information, etc. Seems like a great community.

She's obviously named after the Game of Thrones character. There was quite a bit back-and-forth on the naming: I wanted to name her after either a Stark or one of the Stark direwolves, but the first "GoT" inspired name I uttered was Khaleesi, and it resonated with my wife enough that all other names were immediately rejected. :)I even tried "Daenerys" since that's the character's *actual* name, but nope--Khaleesi. So, naturally, she has both a dragon and a horse to chew on. (Well, the horse was our yorkie's, and it now has no face, but she's claimed it as her own, in Dothraki fashion.) I always do my best Jorah impression when I talk about the Khaleesi and her horse or her dragon.

We are training her to walk on a leash, but the previous owners of the home had a lab and a german shepherd who were also prone to escape, so they went through considerable lengths to install to-the-ground fencing all the way around the yard. I can't say she won't possibly find a weakness in the perimeter, but it's pretty secure.

Besides, we never leave the dogs outside while we're away, and when they do go out there's always someone either outside with them or watching from the windows to keep track of them. Even if they're just outside enjoying the weather, we keep an eye out for what they're doing and where they're at. Most of the time, though, they're indoors hanging out. Khaleesi hates being outside by herself. When we let her out to go to the bathroom, if the other dogs aren't with her, she immediately comes back to the door and begs to come inside. She definitely lives up to the "social dog/pack dog" reputation.

We're also expecting that our shepherd, Parker, will help "train" her, in a way. It's been my experience that older dogs can help with the training of the younger ones, and can help (or hinder) their habits. If the older dog is prone to escaping, they can encourage the younger ones to escape with them, and if they aren't, then it seems like the younger ones are less likely to roam if their "alpha" won't go with them. It isn't fool-proof, but it seems to help. Our shepherd roams the yard but never tries to leave the confines of it, and she obsessively herds Khaleesi around, so hopefully that'll stick with her as she gets older. We're glad we got her when we did, because we didn't find out about Parker's cancer until a couple of days after getting the puppy, so I'm glad we'll have her around to help train Khaleesi and to help our yorkie to not be too lonely when Parker's gone.

But I do appreciate the info. We researched the breed quite a bit beforehand and had come across the same thing - that they're known for trying to escape. It's something we'll certainly be looking out for. And I'd never trust her off-leash. I've honestly always been in awe of people who can do that - my shepherd sticks to my side when I'm in the back yard, but in unfamiliar surroundings she's like a kid with ADHD and will bolt to check something out at a moment's notice.
Back to top Go down
Kelub
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Moar pictures   Also representing the Lone Star State EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 3:25 pm

Just because I'm a picture glutton:

The first few are from her first day with us, at 6 weeks old:
Also representing the Lone Star State DSC05056
Pontificating puppy.

Also representing the Lone Star State DSC05073
Being herded by Parker.

Also representing the Lone Star State DSC05080
Middle daughter, who has been begging for a husky for months.

Also representing the Lone Star State DSC05092
Older daughter, equally as excited.

Also representing the Lone Star State DSC05099
Checking out a spot on the ground.

Also representing the Lone Star State DSC05107
Bonding with Parker.

Also representing the Lone Star State IMG_0057
Khaleesi with her dragon.

Also representing the Lone Star State IMG_0058
Son and Khaleesi, 7 weeks. Getting the two of them still enough for a phone camera was a challenge.

Also representing the Lone Star State IMG_0059
Passed out from another hard day of playing. 8 weeks, getting lanky.

Her eyes both look like they're going to be split: top half of both eyes are blue, and bottom half of both are brown. They may be slowly changing to brown, but the brown hasn't encroached any further into the blue so far, so they might stay that way. (We don't care, it's just interesting. Makes her even more unique!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Also representing the Lone Star State   Also representing the Lone Star State Empty

Back to top Go down

Also representing the Lone Star State

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1