It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

food - Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal? Empty
PostSubject: Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal?   food - Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal? EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 6:05 am

Ok, so our finicky boy has always favored wet food or baked/boiled chicken & rice. This happened because when he was a pup, we really didn't know Huskies have sensitive tummies. I was referred here and was offered great advice, we got his tummy happy by switching to a different food and using The Honest Kitchens supplement Perfect Form! I will forever be grateful to whomever on here recommend that! Well, our Husky, Dash, turned 2 this past July! During his pup stage, due to the food intolerances, we was put on boiled chicken and rice once and after that, hated eating dry kibble. Then we did a military PCS to Hawaii and unfortunately, he had to stay in the state mandated animal quarantine for around 80 days (It almost killed me!!!) due to his age and not being able to wait the full120 days past a rabies test on the mainland. Long story short, he became depressed in the quarantine, refused dry kibble and the employees fed him canned wet Alpo dog food….UGH! (Without calling us first, btw.) So…anyways over his 2 years, he's just been more fond of wet food and will usually pick his dry food out or end up choking it down after refusing to eat for a day or 2. It's frustrating and I don't want him to not eat, get proper nutrition, etc. He is my BABY and I'll do anything for him. I've been researching the Honest Kitchen dog food for quite some time now so I decided to order some samples, as he loves wet food, I thought this was a nice alternative to expensive cans of wet food that may not be the most nutritionally balanced option. HE LOVED THE SAMPLES! I MEAN LOVED! He's never been the kind of dog to come running to his bowl to eat, whine by the dog food container, etc. Well…with this he is! We found a local store that sells the food and went & bought a 10 lb box of the FORCE dehydrated dog food! So, we started the samples last Thursday. I believe it was Friday, and we were out for a walk and he took the biggest poop ever! I sorta attributed that to the dehydrated food, despite him only having a few servings. Well… it's been 5 days that he's been eating the Honest Kitchen food and after Friday, his poops have become small little nuggets, a few times a day now and towards then end of him going it's a little runny? I am not sure what to think. Our vet here is so-so and I am not sure if I want to contact them or find a different vets opinion. I also plan to call the company and ask. However, i've read conflicting things online. MOST reviews says their dogs stool has increased. Then again, they say a switch to a "raw" diet decreases the stool output. Is this considered a raw diet? My only thing is that perhaps we aren't feeding him enough of the dehydrated food. I've been trying to get him on a schedule to feed him the daily recommended amount. He is 50 lbs so the food has a suggestion for I believe 30-50 lbs and 50-70 lbs. So that's a bit confusing but for average activity level it's around 2 cups daily. He's been having 1 & 1/2 cups for the past few days. He drinks normally, and actually has MORE energy and seems to be in a better all-around mood since being on this new food! :)YAY for that! So…….any input? Is the decreased poop a sign of maybe a lil constipation? Kinda seems like he's trying a bit harder to go but he goes right when he squats down, it just comes out a little slow and in the nugget form but not too much poop each time, then again, it's around twice a day, sometimes 3 times. I can add canned pumpkin in, i just don't wanna make him sick. But I will try adding canned pumpkin in the morning to his first meal and see how he does. SORRY it's so long, just wanted to give plenty of info! Hopefully someone on here can help! Smile
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal?   food - Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal? EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 pm

I feed the Honest Kitchen not exclusively (we do in the morning and kibble at night) and one dog increased in poop and the other one stayed the same and maybe poops twice a day. I think it depends on the dog. I wouldn't be to worried if he is acting the same, unless you think he could of eaten something.

In my opinion, I think the small poops were from him finally soaking up good nutrient food, and it was a result of his body taking all of that in. I think the longer that you keep him on it and the more he gets used to it, his poops will get more consistent. Keep an eye out for his behavior, and make sure you are adding the recommended amount of water to the food (we didn't once, and there pee turns this weird yellow). Other than that everything sounds fine to me!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal?   food - Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal? EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Stool volume can vary depending on the pup. I feed Honest Kitchen Zeal (fish) and Orijen.

When I adopted Storm, his stool volume was a lot, but he was also on a lower quality dry dog food, and he was 40 lbs heavier. When we transitioned him to THK and Orijen, and as he lost weight, his stool volume decreased to less than half of that when we first adopted him.

So, smaller stool volume may not necessarily be cause for concern. I would think stool consistency would be more of a concern if it was soft and/or runny, or if it was weird/different in color and odor than usual.

THK does have a lot of fiber in it, so it is not unusual for a bigger stool volume, however, not all pups, as in your case, will have that. If you just recently made the transition to THK, monitor his stool consistency more than stool volume. He should be going at least once a day, usually twice, and if he's anything like my female, will even go three times but smaller stool volume.

PostSubject: Re: Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal?   food - Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Started Honest Kitchen Dog Food 5 days ago - less stool - normal?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1