It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ariadne81
Newborn
Newborn
Ariadne81

Female Join date : 2014-01-13

Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? Empty
PostSubject: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 pm

We'll be bringing our husky, Semper, home on the 25th as long as his vet visit tomorrow goes well. I'm concerned though because everything I've been reading says they do better when there's another dog in the house with them. Is that really necessary at first? Eventually we'd like to add another in, but we were thinking about waiting at least a year or two so that Semper gets more attention at first on his own for training and everything. Will he be alright being the only dog for a while do you think? Kind of worried about this. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
PensFan1028
Newborn
Newborn
PensFan1028

Male Join date : 2013-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 5:28 pm

We have had Loeki by himself for 9 months or so now (he turned 1yo today) and he has been pretty good. I try to get him to the dog park and out as much as possible to socialize and get his exercise in. You will learn quickly that a tired husky is a good husky (single pup or not)... a friend will surely help to wear him out. He has his temper tantrums but I think it's pretty much the usual for the first year or so. We will be getting him a companion after our Honeymoon later this year.

I was concerned about the depression and such with being an only pup as well but he gets his share of attention from us. Just give him a lot of love, play time and treat him as a family member as you are now his pack... he will do fine.

Good luck! Cute pup.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 5:41 pm

I have had Okami by her lonesome now for almost a year (in february) She turned a year old in December. We do have a cat and a bird, but she is the only dog, and she does just fine.. we give her lots of attention exercise and spoil her rotten... there will probably be more in the future, but she is happy either way.
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 5:46 pm

Attention and exercise is definitely a must!! Huskies tend to get bored easily. Just get him as many puzzle toys as possible...he'll be good!
Back to top Go down
Ariadne81
Newborn
Newborn
Ariadne81

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Thank you all! I was really worried about that. We have children too, so I'm sure he'll be kept busy and get a TON of attention. Smile I can't wait to bring him home! Only 10 more days! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Congrats on getting the new pup! I agree with the above that they are totally fine with the proper exercise. I've had mine for almost 2 years in an apartment, no problems at all.
Back to top Go down
LittleHouse
Puppy
Puppy
LittleHouse

Male Join date : 2013-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Agree with all of the above. Ajax has been alone with us for a little over a year and he is fine.

That being said, once I get a bigger backyard i'll be getting another playmate. I can't imagine not talking to or interacting with anyone for most of the day so i'm guessing he'd hate it as well.
Back to top Go down
Rundown
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 10:31 pm

They are very social but if you can find him a friend or two that can play a few times a week he'll be perfectly happy.

And like the others said. Exercise, exercise, exercise. A tired husky is a happy husky.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 10:29 am

If you second guess your choice, look up litter mate syndrome. Your plans on waiting 1-2 years to get another dog is a perfect choice. I got my first 2 about 7-8 months apart and I would have waited a little longer knowing what I know now.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 am

Congrats!!! Ya he will be fine! Just socialize him a lot like other people said. Also he looks a lot like my koda when he was a pup!!! Lol
Back to top Go down
Ariadne81
Newborn
Newborn
Ariadne81

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 am

Thank you all! Smile I'll be looking up that litter mate syndrome in a minute.

If Semper ends up looking like Koda then he'll definitely be beautiful!
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 12:10 pm

With littermate syndrome I think it largely depends on the dogs and on how far apart you get them. Everything I've read about littermate syndrome discourages people from bringing home two puppies at the same time. I think after seven or eight months, once a dog reaches sexual maturity, is an appropriate time for a second puppy if you so choose, provided you are comfortable with where your first dog is in terms of training and manners. But, yes, bringing home two puppies from the same litter, usually not a good idea.

As for the original question, our Layla is an only husky and does very well with us. I'm home with her 95 percent of the time so she's always got someone to be with. She's doing very well in her training and as long as she has enough exercise and mental stimulation, she's a happy husky. We are planning on adding a second pup to our pack around early May, when Layla will be eight months old, but that's more because I suffer from MDS -- multiple-dog syndrome. What they say about huskies is largely true: Once you have one, you will want more. Plus, our dogs will not only be pets but also working dogs, at least recreationally, so we need more than one for a team.

So, it all comes down to personal preference. If you would only like one dog, it's totally doable with a husky. To be honest, I think some Sibes prefer people to dogs, anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ariadne81
Newborn
Newborn
Ariadne81

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 1:38 pm

capellalayla wrote:
We are planning on adding a second pup to our pack around early May, when Layla will be eight months old, but that's more because I suffer from MDS -- multiple-dog syndrome. What they say about huskies is largely true: Once you have one, you will want more. )

That's one thing I'm kind of scared of! MDS! lol! I've heard it can be incurable! lol! Wink

We have the space and room for 2, I don't think I could handle more than that though! We have a pretty busy household already with 2 adults, 7 children, 2 cats, and soon a puppy. I think we're already certifiably insane! lol!  affraid The children have already been told their duties with the puppy. Priority # 1 is playing with him and keeping him happy! (My husband and I will be in charge of the feeding and training of course).

We've been preparing to bring Semper home for a really long time it seems like. A good breeder can be hard to find! Now we only have 9 days till he'll be home! I can't wait! We're going to see him on Saturday for a visit too!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Wow, that's a large family! For us it's just me, my husband and Layla, so adding a second pup isn't too much of a jump ... but then we're going to start trying for a baby later this year, too, so we'll see how hectic it can get. I figure if you can make it work with seven children, two cats and a dog, I can certainly make it work with one child and two dogs!

Sounds like everyone in the family is on board and knows his and her duties for the new member of the family. Congrats on the new pup and have fun at the visit! Take lots of pics for us! Smile
Back to top Go down
Ariadne81
Newborn
Newborn
Ariadne81

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:24 pm

lol! Yep, they're all on board and really excited! To be honest, I was kind of against it at first because although we've been discussing adding a dog to our family for about a year now, we only decided on a Husky at the end of last year. I had dogs growing up but not a Husky, so I didn't really know much about them. Once I began researching the breed a few months ago I could see why a Husky is actually a perfect fit for my family. I've been doing so much research it's insane! lol! Then when we met Semper a couple weeks ago I just absolutely fell in love with him! Very Happy I know having a Husky is going to be a LOT of work, but I definitely think it's worth it! Very Happy

Oh, and just to clarify, I've been around Huskies before, just haven't owned one myself. One of the families that I babysat for when I was in high school and junior high had 2 Huskies and they were awesome! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MeganWerth
Newborn
Newborn
MeganWerth

Female Join date : 2014-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:48 am

They are more than worth it! I have Axle (who is 2 now) by himself and he has been amazing! I take him out to run for an hour a day and socialize him a few times a week with other dogs, I know he gets lonely and I will definitely get another one sometime this year, but he has been just fine by himself. He does not chew on anything and does not run either (which is pretty commendable for a husky!) get ready for another child in the family!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:22 pm

I have my bud as the only dog and brought him home at 9 weeks. He's done well on his own, but you definitely have to make a serious effort to socialize them. Once he was old enough at about 17 weeks, I started taking him to the dog park (but be careful some bigger dogs are too rough with puppies). I also began sending him to doggie daycare around that time, which is the best thing I could have done for him. He went 2-3 days a week and not only did it tire him out, but it was great for socialization and helped a ton with bite inhibition. He now loves his playtime and gets upset and edgy if he goes too long without some playtime with doggie buddies. Smile
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 2:27 pm

I agree littermate syndrome is usually 6 months apart or less. For me I think I will want a year or more apart in future
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?   Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can huskies do alright in a 1 dog household?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1