It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy problems.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amberalexandra
Newborn
Newborn
amberalexandra

Female Join date : 2014-03-09

Puppy - Puppy problems. Empty
PostSubject: Puppy problems.   Puppy - Puppy problems. EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi everyone! I just got a new puppy and he is currently 9 weeks old. As previously stated in my other topic about crate training issues, i just want reassurance that he will turn out to be a good dog! I have read a lot about how huskies are strong-willed and i am worried he will be naughty for life.

I am still trying to potty train him. He still goes to the bathroom whenever he feels like it. I know he is only 9 weeks so i am being patient with that. I am also trying to prevent him from chewing and all other typical puppy issues. I also plan getting a personal trainer to learn how to behave and sit etc.

Did your husky train well and grow up to be a good boy? I really want to be able to take him camping, i am hoping he will like water. I am just worried after what i read online that i will have constant trouble with him. When did your puppy grow out of this?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Puppy problems.   Puppy - Puppy problems. EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 4:46 pm

You are perfectly allowed to be overwhelmed and frustrated right now, it is perfectly normal. Things do get better with time. By the time he's 6 months old your life with him will be stable and great, and then it will become hell again once he is in his adolescence, where until he is 2 he will challenge you and defy you while at the same time bond with you very deeply.

The thing to realize with puppies and adolescents is: wait a few weeks, and it will pass.

Assuming you are working on your bond with him and training him and being stable and consistent yourself--and this is huge because he is taking his cues from you whether you realize it or not--then you are on the right track.

It sounds like you are acknowledging his behavior and the breed characteristics but you are worried that he will be just like a Husky? It is indeed their nature to be this way to an extent and it takes a long time to dial in and understand their motivation, which certainly is not to please you and be subservient to you. It just takes time and patience and consistency.

Hang in there. I know the returns for your efforts are not tangible right now. That will come once he's a few months older.

Be strong.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Puppy problems.   Puppy - Puppy problems. EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Every husky will "mature" at their own rate but a husky will always be a husky. They are very strong willed and require regular affirmation of who the pack leader is. Shaqua was quite literally wild when she was younger. I think she started calming around 6 yrs old? That may have been due to me being young and not spending the amount of time I should have but every dog is different. Now she is perfect.

Sibes are not your typical obedient dog. You can't expect a sibe to be like, say, a lab or border collie. They are meant to be your companion not necessarily the obedient servant. Ha ha. Smile Never-the-less, that usually ends up being what we all love about our huskies the most. They do things because they love you and because they have their own personalities. Even with Shaqua being on the old side now she will still give me that pause while she decides if she wants to listen to me or not. Ha ha.

Just be patient, be CONSISTENT, and you will reap the rewards. Smile
Back to top Go down
Smokey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Puppy problems.   Puppy - Puppy problems. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 am

My husky was a PITA even though we got him around 6months. But he came potty and crate trained and with his full set of adult teeth.

He is now almost 5. He is THE best behaved boy in the world even though he is male aggressive...

Puppy classes helped tremendously. Exercise always helps. Patience...practice training. You'll happy if you realize that the 'puppy' in them starts to dwindle with time...

Best!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Puppy problems.   Puppy - Puppy problems. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 am

I got mine at about 12-13 weeks old. He was potty trained in about 3-4 weeks. Once they are potty trained and sleeping through the night, it becomes better. I think though most larger dogs are a challange until 2-3 years old. I can't speak after that time for huskies as mine is only a year. Usually if he is acting up it is a result of him not getting enough exercise and it means we have to go do more with him. This was really noticeable with the 50 or so days below 0.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Puppy problems.   Puppy - Puppy problems. EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:51 pm

I have only had my pup for two months and he has gotten so much better. We haven't had an accident in over two weeks he hasn't really chewed up anything he shouldn't other than paper towels that he love to destroy. He sits when he wants something only issues now is he has discovered that the counter has stuff on it. We still have a lot of work to do but he has super improved and we have only had him for a little bit.
Puppy class helped a lot.
Making sure we had stuff around that he was allowed to chew helped.
Keeping him around us and in our sight so he couldn't sneak off and have an accident.
Just keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy problems.   Puppy - Puppy problems. Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy problems.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1