It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

puppy problems!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wagner262
Newborn
Newborn

Puppy - puppy problems! Empty
PostSubject: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 12:43 am

So currently I dont have a backyard for another month so my dog has to go in the front yard. She absolutely loves the outdoors and never wants to come inside. I never put her on a lease and she is great about never leaving the boundries I've set up. The problem I have is getting her to come inside. she doesnt come when you call her at all and even with treats she would rather stay outside. When I try and catch her she runs. She even keeps her distance when I'm out with her, she will run to the other side of the yard. The more I try to pick her up the more she thinks its a game. I try not to run after her so not to encourage her.

I'm open to all advice haha I need to get her to come to me and get her to come inside!

thanks again! Mitchell
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 1:42 am

Sounds like a typical husky. LOL. Shaqua used to play that "game" with me all the time. If the front yard isn't fenced I would STRONGLY reccomend using a leash. That is your only fail safe.

Once you have a well-fenced backyard you can try using things that motivate her. Treats, a special toy... etc
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 am

I feel for you...Ami is always on a tether outside. With 100 ft. trolley, he plays this game, too which can make it difficult for the old lady to catch him. Just out of reach. Last night I only got him leashed was when he lay down to lick his genitals (what's left, any way - he's neutered. I did wait until he lifted his head then zap, on with the leash collar, gotcha:P ) Even in the morning, coming out of his crate, you'ld think he'd have to pee urgently. Nope. Wander around the shop, just out of reach, approach, raise my hand with the collar and, quick like a bunny, just out of reach Laughing Which really makes me wonder about the wisdom of getting 5 acres in invisible fence so he can be free when we're outside. The thought of trying to get him leashed with 5 acres to roam is daunting, to say the least.

And yes, it is a typical husky game bounce 
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 8:39 am

Yeah, they like to play chase. It's one of Dizzy's favorite games. I'd say, for now, get a long line that you can use as a tie out. So that way you can reel her in if she decides not to come in. Another thing I found that works with Diz is to either run away and get him to chase me, or just turn my back and totally ignore him. Then let him sniff a treat in my hand and walk away. Or act like I have something really yummy or cool and walk away. He's a sucker for thinking he's missing out. Ha ha.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:09 am

wpskier222 wrote:
Yeah, they like to play chase. It's one of Dizzy's favorite games. I'd say, for now, get a long line that you can use as a tie out. So that way you can reel her in if she decides not to come in. Another thing I found that works with Diz is to either run away and get him to chase me, or just turn my back and totally ignore him. Then let him sniff a treat in my hand and walk away. Or act like I have something really yummy or cool and walk away. He's a sucker for thinking he's missing out. Ha ha.

The "turn my back and ignore" has been one of my standards - until last week, when the big boy was doing his thing and I did not have the time or inclination to play the game. So,I sat down on his pallet as in "I'm not playing this game". At which point he turned around, looked at me and then HE sat down with a look that said "Two can play that game..."  lol! Cracked me up - never a dull moment with these guys!
Back to top Go down
wagner262
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 4:13 pm

haha thanks guys I need to leash train her as shes not very good with it. Its just hard to do when she respects the boundries in the yard and doesnt run or even cross the boundries at all even if im not looking. I've tried the treat thing but after one treat she looses interest in another treat haha maybe I should get her better chew treats!
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 7:22 pm

wagner262 wrote:
haha thanks guys I need to leash train her as shes not very good with it. Its just hard to do when she respects the boundries in the yard and doesnt run or even cross the boundries at all even if im not looking. I've tried the treat thing but after one treat she looses interest in another treat haha maybe I should get her better chew treats!

She's still young..... she hasn't hit the great adventurer stage yet. When she does you won't know what happened.... she will be a mile away in the blink of an eye. Embrace the leash. Smile lol
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Catch me if you can is Luci's favorite game. It's gotten to the point where if I only have time for a quick potty break, she goes on a leash (in my fenced back yard). The only things that work (sometimes) are if she follows Carley inside (typical lab puppy that comes when called) or if my three year old calls her in (she always seems to have crumbs somewhere on her that need licking off)
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 7:20 am

wagner262 wrote:

Well, if you ever want to do anything fun outside your yard with your pup (which should be a necessity), you will have to leash train her. And as Cavingsiberian said, at some point she will cross her boundaries and learn there is a whole big, fun, interesting world out there and they are FAST!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: puppy problems!   Puppy - puppy problems! Empty

Back to top Go down

puppy problems!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1