It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

How can i teach my husky to calm down

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jzHernandez77
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2013-11-18

How can i teach my husky to calm down  Empty
PostSubject: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyWed May 14, 2014 1:54 pm

I don't mind him running around the house or jumping when i want him too but when i have guest over he gets so excited and just wants to jump on them and play its the same thing if he sees someone outside and when he gets to hyper inside the house and starts zooming around he gets a little out of hand and starts jumping and nipping not aggressively but still not what i want him doing
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyWed May 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Practice and more practice plus patience. Have you tried teaching him to 'settle'? Start during play time, and randomly have him sit or lay next to you while resting your hand on his withers and saying 'settle'. As soon as he relaxes (and you can feel his muscles relax and no mouthing), reward/praise, repeat. Then gradually extend how long he relaxes. It takes a while, but they eventually get it.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyWed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm

In addition to the great advice above, I'd also say that dogs do often feed off the energy levels of the people around them. If you act excited and agitated, your dog will sense that and also act excited and agitated. Likewise, if your guests act excited around the dog, the dog will mimic that energy level.
Back to top Go down
Kodasmom
Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

Female Join date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyWed May 14, 2014 6:26 pm

I completely agree with the replies above. This really works my completely changed from 6 months to 18 months. If you keep up the training it really does sink in eventually as long as their minds and bodies are getting good quality exercise. They seem just to be an extremely social breed especially when they are young. But remember this is a good thing. The alternative would be harder.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyWed May 14, 2014 6:37 pm

A bit tip is make sure your buddy is getting a ton of exercise and then when he is at home relaxing because he is tired or just chilling out with you reward him a ton. We rewarded calmness from the day we got Simon and now as long as he has had a walk or something he is pretty mellow. He does get hyper when people come over and we are working on having him learn to sit to say hi but if a lot of people are coming over we tether Simon so he can't jump on people and we wait to let him off till he settles down.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
cher.baum1
Newborn
Newborn
cher.baum1

Female Join date : 2014-05-12

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyThu May 15, 2014 12:10 pm

Not sure if it will help you, but this has worked in the past for me (and we are using it with our two babies now). They get super excited when people come over, as do most pups. I tell people when they come to not even acknowledge their existence when they first enter the house. No petting, no talking, do not even look at them. Just walk in like they are not there...Its amazing, but in just a few seconds, the kids calm down and THEN I allow them to calmly greet their new friends Smile I keep both on a short lead when people enter and that way, if they start to jump up, I can stop it in its tracks by a short, firm tug along with "down, no jumps". Its working great with Windy & TJ as it has for other dogs I've been owned by ...good luck with yours Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyThu May 15, 2014 12:19 pm

I read the topic as "How can i teach my hubby to calm down." I thought, "well this is going to be an interesting one..."
Back to top Go down
cher.baum1
Newborn
Newborn
cher.baum1

Female Join date : 2014-05-12

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyThu May 15, 2014 12:49 pm

lol! 
wpskier222 wrote:
I read the topic as "How can i teach my hubby to calm down." I thought, "well this is going to be an interesting one..."

You sound like me!! Do you need an extra cup of coffee this morning too?  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyThu May 15, 2014 2:09 pm

This method I will tell you takes time, and though it may seem like it isn't working, this is an over time method, so it will eventually work.

When you notice your dog calm and relaxed give a treat and say good dog, or yes, or whatever it is that you use, but say it calmly and slowly, then just go about whatever it is that you were doing. Don't do it like every 5-10 minutes, more like a 2-3 times a day sort of thing. Eventually your dog will associate calmness as something that you like out of them.
Back to top Go down
jzHernandez77
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyThu May 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks for all the tips and info guys very helpful. appreciate it
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyThu May 15, 2014 7:49 pm

I don't think the words HUSKY and CALM can be used in the same sentence! hahahaha
Back to top Go down
jzHernandez77
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  EmptyThu May 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Yea but i have no problem with him being hyper its everyone else his 9 months and huge , when i'm walking him i have the sidewalk to myself because everyone is scared of him and all he wants to do is play so you can imagine when someone sees him jumping to play with them there terrified its a shame really
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can i teach my husky to calm down    How can i teach my husky to calm down  Empty

Back to top Go down

How can i teach my husky to calm down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1