It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO Empty
PostSubject: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 12:58 pm

So we were looking for a fun day out with a little bit of everything and that meant leaving the dogs at home. The Brainard Lake area has a lot of high 12ers and low 13ers but it is filled with fun rock scrambles and class 3 hiking, things the dogs are either good at or not. and in this case they would not have done well with the route we took.
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/u/1/edit?hl=en&authuser=1&mid=zg-snrdqJx-c.kXoormKx3EAk
We headed up to Mt. Toll that sits at 12,979ft, we had just about a 3,000 ft elevation gain and the RT took just under 7hrs and we did about 7.9miles.
on to the fun pics!

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0447
lots of wildflowers

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0451
heading up to the lake

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0456
our summit is behind the clouds

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0459
found nessy!

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0461
Eddy looking over the lake

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0465
Mt. Toll on the right, into the snow we go

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0467
taking the fun way up

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO 100_1962edit
Me

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0476
found this guy still sleeping

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0479
and this giant bee!

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0469
looking back at the lake after the rock section

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0473
summit is closer now

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0485
Summit!!!

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0490
found this on our way back down

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0498
Fav. pic of the season so far Smile

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0501
these guys were following us, marmots

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO DSCN0506
back to the lake

and some video of us glissading again! we got to do 2 sections. had an ice ax with me this time to help.

my view!

Eddy heading down after me

till our next adventure!

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Those are amazing pix!!!!! Wow!! Thats so cool!! What was the nessi one though? Lol is that just a glare or something lol?!?!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:10 pm

it was a chunk of ice sticking up that totally reminded me of all those loch ness monster pictures Wink

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:20 pm

jbealer wrote:
it was a chunk of ice sticking up that totally reminded me of all those loch ness monster pictures Wink

Omg it really does lol!!!! Watch someone is going to google that image and next thing you know its going to be on all the conspriacy sites lol!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Haha, Eric too funny but true.

Jenn,

It looked amazing. So glissading is sliding on ice on your butt? Never knew it was called that, as kids we would sled and get our paths all iced up and then we would go down on our butts, slick as snot, lol, and so much fun. Thanks for sharing your amazing adventures.
Took Miya out last night it was nice and cool, air had a fresh scent, from the rain. Saw a young deer, she watched us and we watched her for a few minutes and then we continued on.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 am

Great columbine pix!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:46 am

Everything is so beautiful!

amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 am

Stunning pics as usual Jenn - have you thought of putting together a coffee table book of photo essays?
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Very nice pictures!!
It reminds me a lot of Greenland!!
Back to top Go down
Balto
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 4:06 am

it is so beautifull there.. i love your north american mountains  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Polar
Puppy
Puppy
Polar

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 12:33 am

You and Eddy REALLY love IPW, don't you? Smile It's a lovely area, I explored the Hessie TH a whole bunch when I first moved to CO. I just did a backpacking trip in the Pawnee Pass/Crater Lake area a few weeks ago, it's pretty up there. Unfortunately it's so far away from me now.

Have you done any scrambly 14ers? I did Tour d'Abyss (Bierstadt East Ridge + Sawtooth + Mt. Evans) a couple of weeks ago, it is a really fun class 3 route up a couple 14ers, one of the only handful in the Front Range. I highly recommend it if you like scrambly stuff and haven't done it already. I have plans to do Longs Peak Grand Slam next year, I just need to get into better shape first...

Fortunately, I quite my weekend job with GoLite a few weeks ago, so now I have more time on weekends to do stuff. Shoot me a message if you and Eddy ever want to take me on one of your adventures.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Polar, I will keep you posted Smile not sure what we have planned in the coming weeks
we like IPW because its not on I-70 and its fun!
We did longs via the keyhole 2yrs ago, it was fun. i hear the route is unstable after the floods last yr though. i have done bierstadt and evans all ready but not sawtooth. mt of the holy cross via halo ridge is a fun scramble to.
The Citadel was a fun scramble but its a 13er.

Puppy
Puppy
Polar

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 4:15 pm

I don't do a lot of scrambly routes since I want to spend more time hiking with Polar, so when I do go scrambling, I want to get the most bam out of my buck. Longs Grand Slam includes Longs plus the four 13ers surrounding it: Meeker, Pagoda, Storm, and Mt Lady Washington. It has a lot of class 3 terrain, so it sounds perfect. The Citadel is one peak I want to do too, but I want to link it up with Pettingell east ridge, and there is one bit of class 5 stuff between Citadel and Pettingell that I'm not so sure about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO   Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO Empty

Back to top Go down

Hiking without Dogs- Mt. Toll, CO

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1