It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Right when i thought everything was going smoothly

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Right when i thought everything was going smoothly Empty
PostSubject: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 1:01 am

Long story short...I had to make Kody some rice to eat because I ran out of puppy food. I couldn't go buy anymore because he's had diarrhea and the vet gave him some antibiotics and special food for doggies with upset stomachs to eat for 2 days. That worked and the diarrhea went away, but when i started giving him his normal food it started again. They gave me a bag of food that he had been eating, but apparently we need to change it. Anyways, I'm going to the vet tomorrow to A) Get some more of the food the vet had given us and some more meds for him and B) take Mya because I think she has an eye infection. Her eye is tearing a lot and had some minimal puss this morning. Something isn't right!

To top that off, Mya attacked Kody over 2 grains of rice on the floor! I fed him in his cage and her in the other room. I took his bowl out of the cage and picked hers up before letting him out. When I let him out there were 2 grains of rice on the floor in front of his cage that I didn't see and she totally attacked him over it. She bit his nose and there was blood everywhere. My poor boy! It was seemed worse than it was at the moment. After I wiped him off he has a cut on top of his nose and it's a bit swollen. He bled for a few minutes. I washed it off with hydrogen peroxide and put some neosporin. That was such a scare! He cried and was sneezing a lot. I let them together again after everything calmed down and she's ok with him .Even wants to play,but I can't let him since they play rough and his nose is hurt =(

I'M NOT HAVING A GOOD DAY!
Back to top Go down
tdanielle
Newborn
Newborn
tdanielle

Female Join date : 2010-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 10:16 am

I'm sorry ! Sounds like a certain mommy needs a bubble bath with sooothing music Very Happy
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 10:59 am

Classic! Not to be rude, I just mean we've all been there. At least the eye thing should be fairly simple. Gone through a couple of those phases myself. Back when Tambi started it off with a broken foot from jumping far, Sioux took a chunk off his back leg with an axe (talk about blood), Coco sliced a big pad on some ice and Ridik had three days of diarrhea. That was a LONG couple of months.

Heh, I think all of my dogs have scars on their noses from stupid sled dog games. Blood is pretty regular around here. Try a different cleanser than peroxide, something about it drying the wound and increasing chances of infection. We have a bunch of iodine pads that my mom told me they use in the hospital for dog bites, and my vet also gave us the name of a few things. Can't remember what they were since we have so much iodine up in here.

*EDIT* Betadine was one, it's still iodine stuff.
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 11:13 am

I am so sorry!! ANd the diarrhea can come from switching foods to quickly too! Since they already have sensitive stomachs it needs to be done gradually. Sniper had diarrhea after her surgery for days! and it sucks! And i think we have all been there with the blood like Harise said! Our hounds will fight over a piece of kibble in a heart attack! They were fighting one time and i got caught in the middle and sniper bit right thru my finger!! was for sure i was gonna have to have stitches! Good luck! and vent anytime you need too :-) But it will get better!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 12:13 pm

That's unfortunately how it goes with new pups. Things seem to be going great and then BAM, a scuffle that feels like you've been set back weeks. However, focus on the good... they both wanted to play afterwards Smile That's a GREAT sign and a huge sign of progress.

Scuffles will happen. And it will take quite a few months before both are comfortable enough to be able to vent their frustrations vocally instead of physically. Just make sure you continue working with Mya on her food/resource guarding issues. I think I told you about Hailey when we first got her. She still hoards, but her and Koda will solve things vocally now and not physically.

I would start training with both of them. Like 10 mins a day. Try teaching them the "Leave it" command. It will work wonders! Let me know if you need help teaching it.

Right when i thought everything was going smoothly Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks everybody, I do feel better now. I guess we all go through it and since this was my first time it freaked me out a bit. The fact that she/he wanted to play when I put them together is a good thing for sure. This morning he was chewing on a branch is the yard and she went near him and he growled at her. I'm like oh great, not you too, LOL.

Tori, I'm teaching them both "leave it" since we got Kody. I figured to use it on Mya also. He's getting it better than her though...that's for sure. She's so stubborn!

How do you go about teaching them?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 9:54 pm

I would keep one crated while you work with the other individually.

-Have her sit in front of you.
-Hold a treat in your hand (enclosed fist) and hold it in front of her.
-Let her sniff at it and try to get it from you.
-The moment she backs off on her own and either looks away or sits down and moves her face away from the treat, mark her behavior by saying "Leave it! Good girl," and give her a treat from YOUR OTHER HAND. **NOTE: It is important that you NEVER give her the treat that you're asking her to leave. This simply confuses her. ALWAYS give her a treat from your other hand or from your pocket.** This will teach her to back away from things and marking the behavior will give it a name.
-Repeat this over and over.
-When she starts to really get it, then you can hold your hand open with the treat and say "Leave it!" If she goes for it, close your hand and say "Ah-ah!" Then try opening your hand again and saying, "Leave it!"
-Once she actually leaves it alone (even for a second), say "good girl!" and give her another treat (again, from your other hand, NOT the teaser treat).

Eventually she should understand that "Leave it!" means that she has to leave the object in question alone. At this point, I can say "Leave it!" and throw a treat at mine and they won't touch it. That should be your goal.

Hope this helps!

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Koda wrote:
I would keep one crated while you work with the other individually.

-Have her sit in front of you.
-Hold a treat in your hand (enclosed fist) and hold it in front of her.
-Let her sniff at it and try to get it from you.
-The moment she backs off on her own and either looks away or sits down and moves her face away from the treat, mark her behavior by saying "Leave it! Good girl," and give her a treat from YOUR OTHER HAND. **NOTE: It is important that you NEVER give her the treat that you're asking her to leave. This simply confuses her. ALWAYS give her a treat from your other hand or from your pocket.** This will teach her to back away from things and marking the behavior will give it a name.
-Repeat this over and over.
-When she starts to really get it, then you can hold your hand open with the treat and say "Leave it!" If she goes for it, close your hand and say "Ah-ah!" Then try opening your hand again and saying, "Leave it!"
-Once she actually leaves it alone (even for a second), say "good girl!" and give her another treat (again, from your other hand, NOT the teaser treat).

Eventually she should understand that "Leave it!" means that she has to leave the object in question alone. At this point, I can busay "Leave it!" and throw a treat at mine and they won't touch it. That should be your goal.

Hope this helps!

Awesome, that's what I've been doing with Kody, but haven't done it with Mya. I'll start with her also, but wow I know that's going to be a process! He's a pup so he picks things up quickly, but she's stubborn as a horse..lol.

Thanks so much! I'll keep at it and see how it goes. Ahhh, it would be wonderful if I simply had to say leave it and they would like to me!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Most training that you do for adult dogs is the exact same training that you do with puppies. It can just take a little longer, but you'd be surprised what they pick up. It's a myth that "you can't teach and old dog new tricks" really.

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Just to show them off (this is their best trick, I'm allowed to be proud Razz )

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 10:55 pm

Koda wrote:
Most training that you do for adult dogs is the exact same training that you do with puppies. It can just take a little longer, but you'd be surprised what they pick up. It's a myth that "you can't teach and old dog new tricks" really.

Exactly, it will just take longer, but sibes are SO SMART that she'll get t!
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 6:26 pm

that was awesome! my pug will do that too!! working on sniper is another story!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 7:25 pm

I just saw the video now...that's AWESOME!!!!! YOU'RE TOTALLY ALLOWED TO BE PROUD! I wish I could get these 2 there one day..lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Right when i thought everything was going smoothly   Right when i thought everything was going smoothly Empty

Back to top Go down

Right when i thought everything was going smoothly

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1