It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Flexi Lead

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am

I want to start off by saying I HATE flexi-leads. Or more accurately, I hate when people use flexi leads and then not monitor how far their dog is away from them. I've never considered using one because I've never felt the need to and I know they have the potential to hurt someone because of the rope like part of it.

All that being said, I'm thinking about getting one now that we are moving to an apartment for those quick trips outside just to go potty. That way I don't have to follow him around as closely when he's looking for somewhere to "go". I wouldn't use it for regular walks or anything.

Any thoughts or opinions? I hate the idea of a flexi leash but it also might make this transition to an apartment a little easier.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 10:03 am

I have one, and I use it a lot actually. Generally I use it for the longer evening walks. I take him to some more open grassy areas in the park and let him snoop around, and also play ball and chase (and zoomie times). I know a lot of people say they are dangerous for huskies, but if you use common sense you'll be fine.

A couple of safety tips:

- Use it in a safe area with no traffic at first to get use to how the buttons work.
- Use it with a pinch or front clip harness at first, so that he can't use his full strength. A pinch also helps if you are walking to your potty area and he happen to see something he wants to chase. It feels flimsy compared to a normal leash.
- In the beginning, don't let him take off too fast so he hits the end really hard, eventually he will learn his 'range' with it and know how far he can go, but until then be careful. I've never had one break, but I can see how it might if I let Diz hit the end going full speed. If he gets going after a toy or ball that I can see is outside the range of the leash, I start running the same direction as him to keep him from hitting the end. It's fine if he pulls normally, but I wouldn't want to have him hit the end of it.
- For a while take a regular leash with you, just in case you want to switch back to it.

The first time I used it I did get a pretty bad rope burn. I hadn't gotten used to the buttons yet and stupidly had it on Diz. He was only about 5 months old, I think. He took off toward the park at full speed and ran out into the middle of the street. I completely panicked and tried to grab the line. It blistered on 3 fingers right at one on my joints. Thank GOD it was 5 am and there weren't any cars around. I also somehow managed to fall over, and when he saw me sitting on the ground, he came running back to see what was up (and probably bite my face or something). Anyway, I like mine, but just be careful and use common sense.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks Jen! That's helpful. Do you have any brand recommendations? Have you ever tried the ones that have more of a flat leash that retracts as opposed to the rope kind?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 am

I've had both, and both are fine. The rope one when he was little and now I use a 26' flat one. Both are fine, but the rope one was only up to 35 lbs. I think, and also shorter. The flat one occasionally hangs up when retracting, but it rarely happens, and usually only for a second or two, and it feels stronger. I've had it for 6-8 months or so I think.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 2:22 pm

So I picked up a 16ft flexi lead today and Bode and I just got back from a quick walk around the neighborhood. It was quiet being middle of a weekday so I figured it would be a good test around the block. It went well, luckily Bode has pretty good leash manners for a husky when there's nothing exciting around. I'm just worried about if it's strong enough to restrain him if I had to when he's excited, most likely when there's other dogs around (he's still not so good at ignoring them!). It didn't feel that secure but we'll see. It was definitely nice on my shoulder though!
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Is this the type of lead that you let out a certain amount and it stays that length? Or does it retract as he the lead get shorter?

Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 2:40 pm

You can do either. You can let it out and lock it at that length or allow it to pull and retract freely.
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks.  I just always thought that you did not want to use a lead that required the dog pull on it.

Last edited by Vetsky on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 3:04 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
So I picked up a 16ft flexi lead today and Bode and I just got back from a quick walk around the neighborhood. It was quiet being middle of a weekday so I figured it would be a good test around the block. It went well, luckily Bode has pretty good leash manners for a husky when there's nothing exciting around. I'm just worried about if it's strong enough to restrain him if I had to when he's excited, most likely when there's other dogs around (he's still not so good at ignoring them!). It didn't feel that secure but we'll see. It was definitely nice on my shoulder though!

Yeah, I tend to use it only with a pinch or a front clip harness. He has hit the end really hard a couple times on his normal collar and it held, but I wouldn't make it a regular occurrence... I agree, they feel much less stable than a normal leash, but can be really useful as long as you're safe with it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 3:09 pm

I have and use the same 16 and 26 ft 110 lb rated tape Flexis that I bought 7 yrs ago.  They are plenty sturdy and after 7 yrs both are still going strong and both have been hit at a run (my dog is always in harness) more times than you could count in all these years and they have never failed on me. I use the 26ft almost daily.  He walks with it locked when in heavy people/traffic areas but walks loose on it when on a trail or away from people/dogs/traffic. I honestly  think  people that hate Flexis really hate their misuse and not the lead itself.

Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Good to know Val. We used it with his Lupine Step In harness today. I almost bought the 26 ft one, but the handle was a little bigger than I wanted to start with. I figured start with the 16 ft and see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 3:25 pm

I  did the same, Sara. I started with the 16 ft and a few weeks later got the 26 ft and never looked back. The only time I don't use the flexi is when I need a hands free when I'm out by myself pushing the kids in the stroller.

Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Good to know Val!
Back to top Go down
FURAI
Newborn
Newborn

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead EmptyFri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 pm

using the classic short tape type.
I don't understand why people hate them. (heard most of it before)
I use mine for mushing, it seems bulletproof.
in fact it comes in handy all the time. I never lock it unless tying to a post. the thumb brake is adequate most the time, grip is perfect for the size of my hand.

I see far more pros over cons. yet all i see online is hate for retractable leads.

people must be daydreaming when strolling with their pets, I don't let my concentration lapse.

I hear of malfunctions, if it was ever to break I'm sure I would grab the lead in time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if it was to snap at its end point the mechanism would be trapped inside the handle. thus the lead still attached to the handle.

my opinion is people are buying the knock off brands and having breakage issues. also with far too much lead than a disobedient dog can handle.

I think theres only 4 reputable makes, I'v only tried flexi myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flexi Lead Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flexi Lead   Flexi Lead Empty

Back to top Go down

Flexi Lead

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1