It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello! I am new :D

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

Female Join date : 2010-12-27

Hello! I am new :D  Empty
PostSubject: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 3:24 am

I just joined here because I was looking for a siberian husky forum specifically. We just adopted a 10 week old male siberian husky from a person. These people basically bought him from some one and had no knowledge of the breed. He is not an easy puppy for a person with no knowledge of sibes! The saddest thing to me is they had him about a week or a week and a half before they decided he was to much for them and started posting ads on craigslist trying to get rid of him. And ofcourse they didn't tell us the real reason for rehoming him besides "oh we don't have the time for him" Yeah I bet!!

Laughing

He is a wonderful dog if you know how to deal with the husky antics! Now I personally have never owned a husky but I have wanted one since I met my first love in a dog park when I was only 6 years old! This gorgeous brown/blue eyed wolf colored beauty ran up to me and gave me kisses. The owner let me play fetch with him and it was a memory I have always held on to! Circumstances were never good for us to own a husky growing up, we moved around a lot and lived in very small apartments or had people in our home who didn't want a dog at all. I moved out of my mom's house when I was 18 with my fiancee. We have been together for almost 7 years in may. We both adore animals. I personally have been fostering dogs and cats in my home for around 5 years.

We have helped many pets find their forever homes. I have made some mistakes in my past with animals but I have made up for them by trying to help as many as I can Smile I also work at an animal shelter as a kennel aide. I feed, medicate, vaccinate, and clean up after all of the animals there. My job while sad because of the environment is very awesome. I love helping the animals and working to get them adopted.

If I am not at the shelter working or volunteering I am at home with 1 or 2 fosters, my personal 3 dogs, or my 4 cats Smile

I have 2 big dogs, and 1 small dog Including the husky boy.

We adopted Loki since I have dreamed of owning a husky and I have been researching and gaining all the experiences I could with the breed prior to bringing them in my home. I've read so many internet pages, forums, books at the library, I've gone to dog shows to learn about them, talked to professional (and responsible) breeders, and I have volunteered with a husky rescue in my state for a few days to learn from all walks of life. I goto a local dog park where a gentleman owns 2 female sibes he rescued and talk with him often.

SO after all of my education I felt ready to own a sibe and its been such an awesome experience!

Loki definitely is EVERY thing I have read about huskies lol!

He tries to steal anything he can fit in his mouth if its not tied down, he loves to run around like a crazed animal (hehehe), he howls and according to a little "information paper" the previous owners gave me (which they got from the breeder they bought him from) Loki was the most playful puppy, and the first to howl. He was born on OCT. 1 , 2010. He is very very vocal which I love. He is also a big ol' baby! He cries like he is being beaten if you pick up his paws or if you try to pick him up by the scruff (while supporting his bum). We are currently working on desensitizing him to being touched but he is very sensitive. But he is making remarkable strides! He no longer screams when you pick up his paws and he is becoming less mouthy we actually were able to cut his nails. He was very mouthy when we first got him but he is becoming less mouthy with training.

We plan on enrolling him into a puppy training class with our local petsmart, I am friends with the trainer and she is very good Smile he can be trained and socialized and we can begin working on his not so nice habits.

He is VERY possessive with both his toys and with his food. With his toys he isn't possessive with me but he will fight our other pets if they get near his toy or his food. With his food he will freeze and hover over his bowl if we put our hands in his food. We are sorting that out with hand feeding. And we take away his toys if he goes after one of the pets. He doesn't chase our cats which is nice. He is extremely dominant already. I was surprised that he was already trying to hump our poor small dog at his young age! poor little girl! Laughing He will be getting neutered asap! Hopefully that will help the issue.

Besides those things he is a very good little pup, he is doing well on housetraining and will howl to go outside which is nice Smile

Well I typed a mini book but I hope to be an active member of the forum and chat with other husky owners Smile
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 3:26 am

Hello! I am new :D  Loki

And there is a photo of loki Very Happy he is very sweet and mischievous lol
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 4:20 am

Welcome, Loki is so cute! Glad to hear you did all the research before jumping into the Husky world.
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 5:13 am

Thanks so much! Your dogs are gorgeous! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 7:38 am

Thank you Smile
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 9:37 am

Last edited by Here4thePics on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 am

love the photo!! welcome to the group!
Back to top Go down
sw33t_angel
Puppy
Puppy
sw33t_angel

Female Join date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:02 am

Welcome Welcome! Love your story!! The husky world is a wild one, but it is so worth it! Smile Enjoy! Your pup is gorgeous, and I love the name Loki!!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:25 am

Wa elcome! Nice to see a zim fan! Your new boy is cutie, and high five for all the work you do for other dogs! Hope we can help u out and feel free to chime in on posts

Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Welcome to the Addiction LOL
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:13 pm

^^ ha Exactly .. In Less Than 6 months we will See ur 2nd Husky .. Ha Mine Plays My Other One Out Was Kinda beneficial LOL
ConGrats & Loki Is VERY Cute & Innocent Looking LOL
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Epic intro!!! Sounds like you are more ready for a Husky than I could ever be. Very Happy Well done.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Welcome and kudos to your for the work you do and congrats on your new pup! Can't tell you how wonderful it is to have someone do so much to research and do everything possible to prepare themselves for husky ownership, I applaud all that you do! We need more people like you! Now that we know a ton about Loki, who is adorable btw, what other dogs and cats do you have? Piccies please! Very Happy

Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 4:53 pm

beautiful pup! welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 6:09 pm

Thank you everyone! ^_^

Last edited by Lokipaws on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Awwww love all of your babies! SUPER SUPER CUTE! You have a wonderful heart =)
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Welcome! First off.. I love your avatar! Literally i'm in the middle of watching Invader Zim on netflix right as I type this! Secondly, we have 4 cats too Smile There is hope for Husky and cat co-habitation! Love your baby boy, so sweet. I see a lot of Husky pup rehomes on craigslist... people don't know what they're getting into with that cute face to hide it all behind!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:44 pm

Welcome! Lovely fur family you have there! I foster cats too. Not dogs, but my mom does dog rescue and I had to live with that most of my life. lol. For the food aggression issue, try hand feeding him more to get him used to having your hands around his food. My new pup thinks she has to guard some of her toys from my older girl, but Siku the older one will just push her over if she acts like that. It's pretty funny. Have fun with your new pup!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:12 am

Thank you guys!! I LOVE invader zim.... hence my cats zim and gir Laughing my favorite cartoon! I have a tattoo of a siamese cat on my chest it looks just like my cat zim and I have 2 flowers (cherry blossoms) representing the 2 siamese cats that have since passed away. I plan on getting a black cat with a moon on my back to represent binx, and a tattoo of gir *like my avatar* on my arm to represent my love of the show and my kitty gir Smile I adore tattoos, anime, cartoons, video games, and pets obviously LOL!

My foster puppy is gone now so we currently have no fosters. She had to goto a different foster home who works for a vet office and is also one of the animal control officers at my shelter. We took this puppy in when she was 4 weeks old and had SEVERE sarcoptic mange. She would have been euthanized but I stepped up to take her. She is now 14 weeks old and has yeast infection on her skin due to the mange, she has most of her hair back but she has messed up legs and needs a high calcium diet, extremely extensive/expensive care and needs to be monitored daily and taken to the vet on a weekly basis. This ACO/foster person has about 35+ years in the animal field so she is much more qualified to finish off the care for this little girl and might potentially adopt her if she needs more care throughout her life that the average person couldn't handle.

I try to do what I can when I can but it is kinda nice to be back down to my crew just for now Very Happy We do a lot of back to back fostering which makes our household active! So a little calm is nice!

We are going up to my fiancee's family's snow cabin in the mountains on wednesday till jan. 2nd. 5 days in the snow with the dogs and my mom is going to volunteer to watch my cats! So it will be fun to watch the puppy in the snow!

Thanks for the advice SaraB! ^_^ Any advice on the resource guarding with the other animals? I've just been taking away his toys and saying "No" in a firm voice (no yelling) and he is really stubborn LOL! He is learning but he has a very self inflated ego! Razz
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am

By the way its very nice to see so many people around my age! Very Happy Normally people with as many animals as me are like twice my age LOL! Makes me feel slightly crazy... not that I am not crazy just saying... LOL!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:31 am

Yay, somebody else that has tattoos of their animals! I love tattoos also! I have 3 and this is my most recent one of my baby Mya! The other 2 are definitely nothing in comparison to this one:

Hello! I am new :D  Mya1

Hello! I am new :D  Myatat
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:45 am

That is amazing and gorgeous!!!!! I have 3 tattoos personally ^_^ I am planning on getting a sleeve, a combination of nightmare before xmas, invader zim, and Totoro Very Happy I am a big ol nerd but I love it!

my first tattoo of a phoenix xD

Hello! I am new :D  Phoenixtattoo

third tattoo of a koi fish (it needs to be touched up and i am adding cherry blossoms)

Hello! I am new :D  100_5697

Hello! I am new :D  100_5713

And my kitty tattoo Very Happy

Hello! I am new :D  100_5715
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 12:49 am

oh and a few more pictures of dah puppeh Very Happy don't mind the carpet... my vacuum exploded and we have since vacuumed LOL

Hello! I am new :D  100_7204-1

his favorite toy is the monkey Very Happy just got it and it has a hole in its foot LOL

Hello! I am new :D  100_7203-1

Hello! I am new :D  100_7205-1

Oh and he has a chain leash and a leather harness because he likes to chew on his leash and try to pull it and the chain leash prevents that Wink

oh and it looks totally bad ass Razz LOL!
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 1:59 pm

I love the pics!!! we have a 5 year old pug named sophia!!! :-) again welcome to the pack!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Love your koi tat! Cherry blossoms would look awesome. I'm itching for another already, but I'm going to hold off. Maybe I'll retouch the one on my back that's like 10yrs old! Oh, and Mya had that monkey also, but the poor monkey only lived a day..lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello! I am new :D    Hello! I am new :D  Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello! I am new :D

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-