It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
skubii
Newborn
Newborn

New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! Empty
PostSubject: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi everyone!! I am new to the site and so excited to have found a place where I can share my thoughts and hopefully
get a few hints and tips on how to better care for my "baby"!! I have a 5 year old boy that I love dearly (I have been told that I
am a bit over the top with him) but hey, he is my best friend after all!!

Well anyway back to the reason for my posting..............
With shedding season coming upon us so quickly, I was just wondering how do you all keep your home a pet-hair
free zone? Do you have a favorite vacuum cleaner? gadget?

All feedback is greatly appreciated!! Have a great day!!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 7:49 pm

I got a new best friend last October! Husband swears Mr. Dog is the love of my life Laughing

Uhhhh, hair free house? I'm not sure that is possible...even when Ami was totally outdoor dog with nights in an outbuilding, we had dog hair in the house. When my younger son had a room mate with Siberian Husky, even though the dog was never in his car, his car was covered with dog hair.

My "tools" We have central vac but without beater brush. Does a decent job on the carpets - I just pull the hair of the brush and through in the trash - saves from cleaning the filter in the basement. I recently picked up a swiffer for use in the kitchen - very fast, efficient with the hair (not so much with sand that comes in on feet, though). If your dog tolerates it, a daily brushing when blowing coat would probably work wonders (Ami, is not an easily groomable dog Rolling Eyes so I can't speak to how well that works)

There is a thread on here somewhere regarding vacuums - you can use the search function to find it,

Also - other members pictures show a lot of slip covers, blankets etc on their couch, chairs. Ami is kitchen, laundry room only - believe it or not the "barrier" is a simple piece of cardboard on the 2 doors - he respects it for some reason. There are much more elegant, functional gates available if you want to buy one (or your boy is not so compliant Laughing )

Welcome. Enjoy your boy!
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 8:02 pm

I love my Dyson.

Having a husky= learning to deal with hair everywhere.

I vacuum the hot spot rooms 2 sometimes 3 times a week. The canister is about half to sometimes full every time. Either up your vacuum schedule a couple more times a week, or embrace the inevitable hair everywhere! lol.

It is what you sign up for with double coated breeds hehe. Shoot. My favorite color of clothing to where is black and I have 3 white animals! (Not on purpose. LOL Bird, cat and Okami) So I go everywhere with my husky and sometimes the cat hair decorated very vividly haha.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Love my Dyson and Dyson animal brush attachment. Vacuum dogs then vacuum house.

Unlike Lucy I made wise decision to have black pets and white pets. I try to find clothes that hair easily falls off. Smile
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 1:36 am

Ouch... :/
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 5:10 am

A forced air dryer/ blower will be your best friend Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 10:53 pm

A hair-free existence just isn't in the cards, I'm afraid.

We vacuum every day (including upholstery) and swifter mop hard service every other day, but we're fighting a losing battle.

Other than daily brushing and a good undercoat rake, lint brushes are your best friend!

I will say a high velocity dryer like Yonjuro recommended helps immensely. We have the Metro Commander one, and it does a great job of getting loose hair, especially the undercoat, out. It's cut down on how much ends up wiping in the corners of our home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 11:51 pm

We gave up, hair is everywhere all the time. I have better things to do then vacuum!

Newborn
Newborn
Sydney_rain

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Good luck with a hair free home! I find hair from our short hair mutt all the time, sweep one day the next still find a layer of hair. BUT, I haven't even seen a strand of Hanzos hair unless he is given a bath, maybe a few pieces. I guess maybe because Hanzo is almost 3 months and we got him a little over a month ago?
I have heard that a squeegee is good use when getting dog hair out of the carpet. I was definitely going to try that, but Charlie may like the idea of getting a squeegee just to try it out. If anyone tries it, let me know!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 5:15 pm

Hair free house?!!? Who wants to guess how much hair Ami distributes lol! I like Jenn's approach but then, I'm Oscar to Wayne's Felix Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 8:18 pm

There's Dog Hair In Everything I Do.mpg: https://youtu.be/fBYtCmJFrm4
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Hair-free house? HA! We haven't had a pet-hair-free house since we brought Layla home, haha. You'll always have it in some little nooks and crannies and some spots on the floor, so the best way to deal with it is just let it be. Invest in a good vacuum and clean it the best you can, but for the rest just accept it.

During coat-blowing season if it's warm you can take the dog outside and hose them down and brush them out. That usually gets rid of the majority of the fur, and it'll stay outside so you don't have to deal with it inside. You can also go to the groomer and have them bathe and brush the dog out. You'll still have hair in the house but nothing a good vacuuming can't take care of, but be prepared to start considering dog hair a condiment in your house. I know we do. Wink

True story: Today I had an appointment with my midwife (I'm five months pregnant, first child) and wore stretchy black pants. I had just cleaned them but there were still some Layla hairs on them. The midwife noticed and said, "Cat or dog?" I said, "Husky." Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!   New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!! Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member - Pet Hair Everywhere!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1