It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Can you see yourself with no doggies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Can you see yourself with no doggies? Empty
PostSubject: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 5:52 pm

One of my best friends asked my husband and I if we could ever picture ourselves without the dogs and that made me think. I could NEVER see myself without a furbaby! I don't understand how some people don't want a dog or how they think i'm "crazy" for having 2 huskies! Seriously, people think I'm obsessed with my dogs Sad You know what, I probably am, but what a better obsession than your beautiful huskies!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Not at all. I mean, when I have gone away for the weekend it's nice to not have to wake up and deal with the dogs. But after just 2 days away I miss them so much i'd rather be dealing with their crap then sitting here missing them!

People think i'm nuts for having so many dogs. And i'll be the first to admit, 5 IS a lot. But, they're MY lot and I love em Smile

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:52 am

For all most 4 years we went without a dog when we moved to CO. We had a ferret we moved out with and when she passed we got 2 chinchillas. Now of them could replace a dog but we knew in an apt. A dog was not going to work. We were in our new home for 7months when we added sierra then a month later jack. I would love to have 3 but not yet. We will always have huskies I don't ever want to be without one ever again. Vacations are really hard to leave them for so long, I miss them so much.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:57 am

Yes I can picture myself with no dogs. I would be miserable though and probably in need of therapy. lol My husky has been not only a best friend for me but he's also been a therapy dog for me as well.

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 am

Well, there was a time about 3 months ago when my hubby and I were dogless... not too hard to remember, but now that we have Nikolai in our lives, I can't imagine life without him. Before we had a house, we lived in a condo (on the third floor) - the logistics of having a dog in that situation would never have worked. We did however, have a cat. ;-)

Life without either of my furkids? No thanks. Too dreary to even imagine... and yes, I am that crazy critter lady - my animals are just *SO* spoiled and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 1:42 am

I was never a dog person until we adopted Ginger this past August! And I only agreed because hubby really wanted a dog once he was done with school. It still depended on how my allergies would react, but once I found out no allergies with Huskies, I was OK, and once we got Ginger home, I have a hard time doing things that do not inlcude her. And so far, we plan seperate trips, and as for me, I'll miss her terrible when we go on our first extended trip without her. Lately, I've been thinking about adopting another Sibe from the same rescue we got Ginger from, but hubby and I are still 'discussing' it.

I had a horse before, so I know what it's like to have a 'pet', and for me, if I'm not into my pet, and commited to take the best care of them, why have a pet??

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 am

I never had a dog until I got Embry a year ago- My family hated pets and I had to suffer because I didn't have a choice, their house their rules. Now I could imagine it. but I would not be happy. As annoying and troublesome Embry and Zoey are, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

Female Join date : 2009-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:10 pm

I can picture the calm & quiet. I have to admit, a little bit of that would be occasionally nice! But when we lost our Leo, (almost 3 years ago now!) that was the thing that stood out: the quiet. I cannot imagine my life now without my 3 Huskies and one mutt. Vacations are impossible, as the cost to board is astronomical for any length of time, and I know no one I would trust (or want to punish) enough to leave them with for any length of time! But still, love my doggies, madness or mild!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Yep, the quiet is nice sometimes when you're on vacation, but I miss them like crazy after only 2days and want to come home..lol. The longest vacation i've gone on is for 4 days and I'm worried the entire time. Luckily, my mother in law lives in front of us and comes to take them out. My mom comes as well. My mom was the only one that I would trust with them since she's had dogs her entire life and knows how much i love my babies. The first time my mother in law watched over them I was FREAKING OUT, but now that she's done it a few times. I know that she cares for them well.

I keep saying THEM. I mean Mya. We haven't left Kody yet. That will be definitely be an experience! LOL!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:00 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
I never had a dog until I got Embry a year ago- My family hated pets and I had to suffer because I didn't have a choice, their house their rules. Now I could imagine it. but I would not be happy. As annoying and troublesome Embry and Zoey are, I wouldn't have it any other way.

My parents have had up to 6 dogs at once while I was growing up so I never had that problem for sure, but my best friend did. She would cry to her mom all the time that she wanted a dog and her mom would tell her NO WAY! She didn't want hair in the house or to have to clean up after the "mut". Now, almost 20years later her mom has 2 small dogs..lol.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 pm

I left our original 3 at our vets when we got married & went on our Hineymoon, which ended up being like 10 days. Tia was so shook up. Crying or Very sad
I trust our neighbor, Sadie, with them, and family for a short time, but could not imagine them being able to handle the "Fantastic Four" for a length of time. There is a new place, The Bunk & Biscuit, that opened up last year, and seems more of a resort. I've thought about checking them out, but always come back to our vet. The people are at least familiar, and any issues come up, they are already at the vet.
Long & short of it: We have not taken more than a weekend away in over 3 years, and it will probably be a long time before we take a longer one. One of the downfalls of having so many. (3 of them of the Husky persuasion) But, they are soooo worth it!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 5:35 pm

amykmac wrote:
I left our original 3 at our vets when we got married & went on our Hineymoon, which ended up being like 10 days. Tia was so shook up. Crying or Very sad
I trust our neighbor, Sadie, with them, and family for a short time, but could not imagine them being able to handle the "Fantastic Four" for a length of time. There is a new place, The Bunk & Biscuit, that opened up last year, and seems more of a resort. I've thought about checking them out, but always come back to our vet. The people are at least familiar, and any issues come up, they are already at the vet.
Long & short of it: We have not taken more than a weekend away in over 3 years, and it will probably be a long time before we take a longer one. One of the downfalls of having so many. (3 of them of the Husky persuasion) But, they are soooo worth it!

The Fantastic Four! That's awesome! LOL! I have to give it to you...4 of them! You have 3 huskies and another doggie, right? I feel like my pulling my hair out sometimes with these 2. We've only had Kody for a month today, but when they get going....do they get going!!! I love it though because he exhausts Mya who wouldn't let me sit down until 11pm before we got him. She's happy playing with him =) I thought they would never get along, but it's going ok. No food or treats around each other yet. Definitely no rawhides or squeaky toys (she takes those very personal).

It must be very hard to find somebody to watch all of them! My next trip will be at the end of May when we go to my cousins wedding in Connecticut and then to see my best friend in GA (probably about 5 days total). I'm going to be flipping out! I hope by then Kody is very much settled and won't give my mom or my mother in law too much trouble.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Yes, I could live without a dog in my home, but I have no desire to do that. Honestly,
I think it would just be too lonely without one, I love their companionship. They also makes me feel safe knowing they would alert me to an intruder in my home. (one of my fears)
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 7:16 am

Well when I think of the time before having a Husky I think of the quiet, and sometimes a bit of this would be really great. But a Husky keeps you going even when you don´t wan tto, and at the end of the day that is a good thing Very Happy. And even with all the stupid things he does and testing you temper alot I think I won´t live without one ever again.

If I would go on a vacation were I cant take him with me or could leave him with my family I would not go, because I would trust no other person on that. Most people ar enot even able to handly a Chihuahua, so how woufld they be able to handle a Husky Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 10:43 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Good question, so I pondered on this all day at work. Right now while I'm still fit and able enough to fulfill my obligations to Husky ownership I dread the thought of not having one or more in the family.
The sucky part of the question is that I'm 58 yrs old and by the time Adobo and Biko pass over the bridge I expect to be over the 70 mark. Like it or not I'll probably have to give up the thought of having another dog by then because of my bias for northern breeds. Just can't stomach the thought of having one of those lil punt dogs running and yapping all over the house.

So to add to this topic are there any "senior members" that have Sibs or Mals? If so do you feel they get the proper about of exercise.

I'm not a Senior, but I have already put thought into when I get too old to handle a husky and my hope is that I will still be able to adopt a Senior Husky who would not need vigorous exersice. I think my 10 year old Dakato would be good for a senior person because even though he his in great shape he no longer pulls on the leash on his walks, no longer makes a mad dash for an open door, he doesn't jump on you and is content to just follow me around and sleep at my feet. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 pm

What a great question Smile Sometimes I think to myself, "It'd be nice to go away and not have to worry so much..." but my two are my co-workers during the day LOL. I work from home and am home alone for a long time during the day. Even though they just sleep, they are my stress release and my companions. When I'm having a rough day, nothing makes me feel better than walking up to Koda and cuddling in his soft fur Smile And Hailey looks at me like I'm just the best thing in the world. I couldn't give that up ever.

We were just told we're being given a honeymoon when we didn't think we'd be able to take one and that the honeymoon includes dog boarding. I'm so grateful, but I just don't know what to do with the kids yet. Not sure if I want to pay a dog sitter, or what. We have 9 months to figure it out, but sometimes I really wish there were a friend I could trust to house sit for me but they all either have pets of their own or live too far away!

Can you see yourself with no doggies? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:39 am

Nope. I will always have dogs and no one that can handle/watch them but me. Works great since I hate going places in general.
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:13 am

I agree with Len, that after our three huskies are gone, I don't think I will be capable of handling another husky. I can't imagine life without some dog, tho, so would likely adopt an older dog. I have always loved the thought of an English Mastiff, but don't know if I could handle one in my 50s. Who knows. Life without Nanuk, Isis & Mika (AND Linus) is not something I like to ponder, not after the year we had between March 2008 & March 2009, when we lost our original three amigos. I think I want to live in the here & now, and enjoy the craziness that is my life with four dogs!
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:12 pm

I will always have dogs in my life. I am 57 and my only regret is that I did not own the Husky breed sooner. We just acquired our first in March 2010 and our second one in November 2010. I walk our 11 month old male four miles daily on the beach weather permitting and our 3 month old female goes 1/2 mile daily. They look great and I have lost 20 pounds. I am retired so they do not pose any problems being inside dogs. They do go into crates when I have to leave . My male has recently begun pulling on our walks but with the Gencon leash that problem is a thing of the past!!! I feel that so many products are now available to deal with behavior issues, that my age is not an issue. We have taken our male tent camping and hiking and he LOVES it. Plan to take them both again this Spring. My dogs bring me pleasure every day.... they make us laugh, teach us patience, and give us a reason to remain active. We also have a 2 year old Pit/Lab male who is a sweetheart and a 12 year old Golden rescue. We love our dogs as much as our human children!!!!! Life is good!!!! One question for anyone who might know....Has anyone owned the dog powered scooter or cart that you sit on??? I want to get the sit down cart for the dogs to use on the beach. Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:17 pm

What is the Gencon leash?
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 4:16 pm

it is an All In One Head Halter/Leash. Look for it at cleanrun.com. It has worked wonders for two male Huskies I.ve used it with who were both strong pullers,
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 pm

I truly believe that we are all very blessed to own huskies. They are like no other breed! I love ALL DOGS..always have...always will, but to me huskies are such unique creatures. While they require so much more attention they bring such love and laughs to a home. I love my babies. I don't have any kids yet and the first thing people ask me is "what are you going to do when you have kids?" and my reply is " I don't know...cross that bridge when I get there...right now these are my kids". I'm 29 and hope to have a baby by 32/33...god willing. My husband had cancer in his knee when he was only 18 years old and went through a few cycles of kemo. Considering that we've been together for 8yrs (dating for 5 1/2..married for almost 2) and still no baby.....well...that leads me to think there's a problem there. He has to get checked out and that whole mess, but i'm not ready for that right now. My babies are furry for now! lol
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 12:09 pm

well Started off in 2000 with my 1st 2 Huskies Blaze n Kaiya ( Bro & Sis from same Litter ... Over The Years Started rescuing Northern Breeds . My Divorce began In 2006 And I Lost My Pups due to His Ignorance .. Finally After 4 Yrs i Have New babies In My Life .. I Love The Needyness They Have .. I Guess Being a Mother of 4 Kids and 4 furbabies Just Kinda feels Right for Me ... I Have chosen Then Pups Over My Bf .. he complains about Them @ Times and Im sorry But Ill Lever Him B4 My Pups Leave me .. never again Will I be w/o My Pups Ive Cryed Had dreams Ive Missed my Pups Soo Much Its a Love That Compares to Nothing else !!!~
Back to top Go down
amykmac
Adult
Adult
amykmac

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:59 am

Jenni-I went through losing my Linus when I divorced. Missed him terribly all these years and was so happy to have him back with me. It wasn't something I liked doing, leaving him behind, but needed to get out of the situation I was in, and unable to afford anywhere that allowed pets. I feel I have a 2nd chance with Linus and am trying to make the most of it! I feel your pain at losing your babies......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you see yourself with no doggies?   Can you see yourself with no doggies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can you see yourself with no doggies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1