It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Any experienced with Seizures?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 pm

Thank you Mike! I feel so much better after hearing from ALL of you. There is nothing more comforting than to hear from people who have gone through this experience first hand.

Back to top Go down
tlh0012
Newborn
Newborn
tlh0012

PostSubject: Having seizures   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 pm

The other night, my three year old husky was laying on the floor of our living room sleeping as my boyfriend and I were watching tv. He woke up, and tried to get up, and then started having a seizure. This was the first time he has ever done this. It only lasted about 15 seconds, and then he was back to his happy self, but it really scared me. My boyfriend and I immediately started researching it online, and found out that epilepsy is common to the breed. The stuff we read also said that, unless is happens again or lasts longer that 2 min, there is no need to take him to the vet. Has anyone else every had this happen to their dog? If so, what did you do about it?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 6:31 pm

SO sorry to hear you go through this! Yes it is common, but I don't know about not taking him to the vet. A phone call is free, so I would call your vet and see what he/she recommends.

There is another thread about this already, so I'm merging them.

seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

oh no Sad sorry you had to go through that.

definitely wouldn't hurt to call up your vet and ask their opinion on it.
Back to top Go down
tlh0012
Newborn
Newborn
tlh0012

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm

My dog had a seizure for the first time just the other night! He is three...he was asleep, when he woke up suddenly and went to stand up. In the middle of standing he had a seizure. It scared the crap out of me!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm happy to report that it has been a month and Dakota has not had another seizure!!! I know that doesn't mean he still won't have one....but I remain optomistic. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 am

Well, I spoke too soon. My son called me at work today to tell me Dakota was Seizing again. Sad I'm so bummed. I was really hoping it was a one time thing. When I got home he was pretty clingy to me and wouldn't eat his dinner. I offered him some ham and he snatched that up so I won't worry too much about that. I'm pretty sure he will go back to eating his dry food in the morning. After about 2 hours of being home, he has returned to his normal self. Ugg... I hate that he is getting old on me. I know siezures having nothing to do with age, but since he has never had any health issues until now, I can't help but be reminded that he is in his last years with us. I just want to thank all of you agian for your information. It made this 2nd seizure easier to handle.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 am

I'm sorry that you went through that, but I'm glad the experience of others here could help you and your family through this. Keep us posted. Dakota likely still has a lot of living to do with you all and it sounds like your family has a good handle on how to approach things now.

We're here for you!

seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:34 am

Thank you, I really appreciate that!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 4:55 am

Sad sorry to hear he had another one Sad
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Oh no =(
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 2:05 pm

This is one area where I am quite knowledgeable. My parents adopted a husky last year named Dawson and he had seizures. After 6 months his seizures continually got worse. They tried different supplements and visits to the vet, but eventually he lost so much of his brain activity (seizures cause brain damage) that he would start running into walls and forget how to drink his water. So they took him to the bet one last time and he had a couple seizures there and didn't come out of the last one. So they put him down. If you want to know about any of the special diets that he was on feel free to shoot me a PM and I can help you out. Best of luck.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Seizures rarely cause brain damage. Usually (to my knowledge anyway) the severe and frequent seizures associated with brain damage are also associated with brain dysplasia, tumors, or stroke.

About 3/4's of the way down on this page there is a brief section on seizures and brain damage.
http://www.epilepsy.com/101/ep101_facts
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm only stating what the vet explained to us. He was hoping to use Dawsons body as part of a test that the University of Colorado is doing graphing the loss of brain activity paralleling seizures. Apparently they've been doing it for quite a few years and they like to get a hold of the dogs while they're alive and graph their brain activity. The vet spoke with CU and they explained that with the amount of seizures that Dawson was having (over 6 months he would average a seizure or 2 every week) he probably had less than a quarter of his brain functioning.

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Dawson definitely sounds like one of the more extreme cases. I just wanted to add some perspective, and hopefully avoid any unnecessary scare.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 10:55 pm

I did read that Siezures can lead to death, but I interpreted it for extreme cases as well. I'm hoping Dakota will stay at the once a month level for his sake. I'm sorry to hear about your parents dog. That is heartbreaking. Sad
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Dakota had his third seizure this morning. This time it was a month and half since the last one so that's good. I'm glad it hasn't increased in time. I'm off from work and he is very clingy with me, like the other two times. I feel like he is needing reassurance maybe? I'm trying not to behave differently, hoping it will get him back to his old self sooner. It's just really hard to see him so unsure. Sad Usually Dakota and Willow have thier morning romps and I don't think he is up to it. Should I try to keep Willow away? I thought about taking her for a walk to give him some rest, but I think that will upset him more since he doesn't want to leave my side. I'm just not sure what I should do to help him through this. I'm a bit lost... I'm taking him and Willow to the vet in the next week for some heartworm meds so I will talk some more to the vet about this but in the mean time if any of you have suggestions, I would love to hear it.
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Having a seizure takes a lot out of them, he probably needs quiet time for a little while. After my moms dog would have a seizure she would usually 'hide' under my moms desk and sleep for most of the rest of the day. If any of the other dogs would try to play with her they got bitten, if me or my siblings tried to interact with her, we got growled at.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Well we are thinking that Sierra is having seizures now Sad after the frighting collapse at the dog park all most a month ago i have been on HIGH alert with my baby girl. Yesterday morning i work up to find Sierra on the floor next to the bed by my head, she has NEVER slept there before, she was not there all night as i had gotten up at 3am and she was on her dog bed. when i woke at 6am she was smacking her lips and sticking her tongue out, she looked a bit off and gave me a sad look. i got out of bed and got on the ground with her to give her some love, after we got up we went down stairs to go out, she had trouble getting down the steps on the first few, looked like it was the hind legs. she came back inside and was super clingy with me and was digging her head into my arm, i just sat there holding her for a long time. i gave them breakfast and got ready and went to the gym as she seemed ok. i got home and she was back to her self, went for a walk played some and i left for work. we had a vet visit all ready set up that day or else i think i would have made one. we did blood work on her and it all came back fine, the vet said to keep an eye on her and keep a log of when i notice a change in her behavior, if it is happening once a month or so then no worries, if they start happening sooner then we need to look into it more. she has been fine up till that park episode so i wonder if that triggered something in her as her diet has not changed nor has anything else in her life so i wonder if these things just happen or does something trigger them... im also concerned about her on our hikes and about making sure i pack things to help her if it happens. wonder if there are know foods out there that help prevent seizures that i can start feeding, you know certain vitamins or proteins that kind of stuff. our vet said sugar is a good thing to feed but not to go giving her pure sugar but maybe get some sweet potato treats, im also gonna look into those sport drinks for dogs as maybe they have some sugar or electrolytes in them. i have some homework to do i guess.....

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm sorry to hear that about Sierra Sad
If she is starting to have seizures, I hope they are infrequent.

I think Sierra likes fish, correct? I buy these treats for Ginger that are dehydrated and they are make of only fish skins wrapped around sweet potato or chicken wrapped around sweet potato. Remind me, and I'll bring some for you on Sunday to our meet up to try on Sierra.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Oh! And there are also chicken wrapped carrots too...carrots would be something that has sugar in it....maybe you could also try if she likes raw carrots?

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm

jbealer wrote:
our vet said sugar is a good thing to feed but not to go giving her pure sugar but maybe get some sweet potato treats, im also gonna look into those sport drinks for dogs as maybe they have some sugar or electrolytes in them. i have some homework to do i guess.....

So, these types of food will help prevent seizures?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 am

26nikita wrote:
jbealer wrote:
our vet said sugar is a good thing to feed but not to go giving her pure sugar but maybe get some sweet potato treats, im also gonna look into those sport drinks for dogs as maybe they have some sugar or electrolytes in them. i have some homework to do i guess.....

So, these types of food will help prevent seizures?

No, the vet suggested to feed after an attack to get the blood sugar back up.

I was asking if anyone knew of a "superfood" that has shown signs of reducing seizures. Kind of like how we eat things to help prevent attacks in our system, or we at least hope that is what it is doing...

Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 9:06 pm

jbealer wrote:

No, the vet suggested to feed after an attack to get the blood sugar back up.

I was asking if anyone knew of a "superfood" that has shown signs of reducing seizures. Kind of like how we eat things to help prevent attacks in our system, or we at least hope that is what it is doing...

Oh, ok. Sorry, I read that wrong.

My vet didn't mention anything about getting Dakota's blood sugar levels back up after his seizure. I guess I should have another conversation with him.

That would be great if their was a "superfood" to reduce seizures...
Back to top Go down
Jess
Newborn
Newborn
Jess

Female Join date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 6:44 pm

I was so glad to find this topic. Kobey, who will be 3 in February, had a seizure last night. I've never seen an animal or person have this, so at first I honestly didn't think he was going to make it. We went to the vet today and they did blood work and will be calling with results tomorrow. I'm so worried about him. But soo glad to read that the seizures themselves won't shorten his life. I couldn't believe all of the things I found when researching that could cause these... Hoping to hear some answers tomorrow..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any experienced with Seizures?   seizures - Any experienced with Seizures? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Any experienced with Seizures?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next