It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello i need your help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HellenicPride
Newborn
Newborn

1 - Hello i need your help! Empty
PostSubject: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 2:33 am

So first of all i am 16 years old...I live in hellas (You know here we have both cold and hot climate it's weird) My brother is know 20 years old so he is not home anymore....I need a friend because i feel a bit lonely...My mother loves huskies and i do too...My father does not have a problem...
Since this forum is about huskies i need some advices and suggestions...
We live in an apartment so there is no backyard but there is a pretty huge balcony...Dont worry about that i am not planning to have my dog on the balcony all the day....Our house is pretty big too...The biggest of the whole apartment block..
I love running and genarly get out of the house...I am going to the mountains of the town pretty often (Some times once a week some times twice a month) So i would love to take my dog with me Smile I can be pretty active person...
The biggest problem of all is that the house is empty 5-7 hours per day because my parents are working on schools and i am a student...I am afraid of going home and seeing everything teared up...My parents had 2 dogs in the past...But this does not help...I dont think that it would be good for my dog to be alone 6 hours per day(Exept weekends) One more problem is the shedding....Oh god.....There is another thing too...I am studying around 1-2 hours per day and 3 times a week i have kickboxing...(But my parents can take care and play with the dog these times)
I just want to know if i can get a husky and some usefull tips to prevent the destruction......The siberian style destruction...Oh and i forgot to mention that we are going on vacation every summer on the island of thassos...And there is too much heat there...But the sea is just nearby ...It is healthy for a husky to swim into the sea??
That's all thanks for reading and sorry if my english are terrible Very Happy
A personal experience with my lifestyle from a husky owner would be appreciated.. Very Happy wave
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 2:49 am

Hello, thanks for your question.  Welcome to the forum.

Problem #1: Destruction and tearing stuff up.  

There is a bomb proof, 100% way to prevent this and it is a crate.  Crate your dog and none of this will ever happen, ever.  It is that simple.  If you're dog is in a crate your dog and your house are safe.  Being alone for 6 hours is nothing for an adult dog.  That may be challenging for a puppy, though.

Problem #2: Shedding

There is absolutely nothing you can do about this.  If you get a Husky, dog hair is a way of life, especially late summer and late winter when they blow their entire undercoat all over your house and everything you own.  There is no preventing it or way around it.

Huskies can enjoy swimming in water like any other dog. Mine loves to swim, especially if I am in with him.

Last edited by seattlesibe on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 2:52 am

P.S.  All those horror stories you hear and videos you see on Youtube of Huskies destroying things and tearing stuff up is NOT normal Husky behavior.  

That stuff is the behavior of dogs, generally, who are frustrated and stressed and unhealthy because the humans in their life are failing them by not meeting their needs.  

That said, meeting a Husky's mental and physical needs is extraordinarily difficult, challenging, high maintenance, and time consuming.  But, if you do it, they can be obedient, calm, well adjusted, healthy dogs like any other dog on the block.

Huskies are not unique or special.  They don't just destroy things because that's what Huskies do.  They just very regularly are owned by humans who can not handle them.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:04 am

Hey welcome to the forum, and I am glad you found us for help!

First of all, for most of your questions, there is a search tab up above. There are many threads that topic everything, so knock yourself out with a ton of reading.

I will give some insight for you as well to cover some things.

Don't be too worried about living in an apartment too much. There are a lot of ways to make it easy.
Firstly tell your surrounding neighbors about the dog, and to be patient while you go through settling in with your new family member. Also make sure your apartment rules are husky friendly.

Crate, crate, crate. It is quite necessary to have a crate for a husky. Once crate trained your destruction fear will be solved. Just make sure that you have a maximum time in the crate per day, you have to keep them active. Mine is only in the crate when I cannot keep an eye her like leaving home or sleeping/napping.... I don't work however, so if there is a peroid of time your dog will be alone, just make sure it doesn't cross too far over the 8-9 hours range (if puppy, it is more like 1-3 hours) but it sounds like your 5-7 hour range is perfectly fine... just make sure if you get a puppy though, it is only a couple of hours, so maybe get the puppy while you are on summer break? Potty training will be more successful this way, I promise.

As far as your balxony goes, I would be worried about jumping off, so make sure your fencing is really tall, like 6-8 feet... huskies can jump high.

It is good that you are a runner, I am sure any husky would be happy to be your jogging buddy. Look into biking, sledding, hiking and other types of activity too!

As far as the shedding goes... well it is something you have to embrace. There are ways to make it easier. Make sure you have a high powered vacuum. Get a double coat rake and a slicker brush, if you brush everyday or every other day, it won't be so bad. There are two times of year a husky shed a lot... just before winter and just after winter. So when that starts, going to the groomer to air blow a lot of that off helps. Btw, don't bathe too often... try shooting for once every 6 months.

I know a lot of huskies love to swim, I don't think the sea would be an issue, just make sure you keep them leashed. Some huskies hate swimming though, so keep that in mind and test to see if they like water before you go. Boarding your dog in a daycare wouldn't be a bad call either while you are gone.

I hope any of this helps you, I can answer any other questions if you need.
Back to top Go down
HellenicPride
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:29 am

Omg guys you answered so fast thanks a ton Very Happy
Well...You mean that my dog will be in a crate for 5-7 hours and there will be no problem?
I can get home for 2-8 minutes just to let him know that i am not gone every 45 minutes on the break time because i live nearby the school...I want some advices on the potty train as well if that is easy for you guys...Tha brushing is not a big deal for me..I mean i am gonna love this dog so there is no problem of taking care of him Smile I am planning to get a bike for longer walks...So bikejoring is for me... Smile I am planning to get him 2 months old is it a good age? And how often he need to get outside for potty?.. And i dont worry about the dog jumping...I mean i live on the 5th floor and i dont think huskies are that stupid...But the fence is pretty tall so i dont worry about it...Should i buy a crate or a pen for him full of toys?Maybe both right? I'll be feeling bad of having my dog crated 7 hours...What he will do for 7 hours on a crate? :/
seattlesibe you dog is just fabolous !! Oh and the most important ... How many times per day the dogs needs to go for a walk and how long ??? I can walk some killometers per day no problem...My mom can too...So 2 times per day is fine?
Thank you guys thanks thanks thanks i am way more stressed than i need to....But i frickin want a husky! And the only thing i want for him is to be happy ! Thanks on both of you and your adorable huskies Very Happy (is it good for the dog to go to the mountains with me?I mean can that injure the dogs legs?)
Back to top Go down
HellenicPride
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:38 am

Thanks guys you are making me want to take a dog...All the other forums are just discouraging it makes you feel like if you get a dog your life is gonna be destroyed if you do something wrong.. Sad
Back to top Go down
HellenicPride
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:45 am

And what about leash training?
Sorry for asking i know there are topics about the things i am asking...
But i have already read a ton ...
Now i just need some people to answer me...It calms me down and i feel more comfortable of asking more....
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:52 am

Yes, it is okay for a dog to be in a crate 7 hours a day. For the majority of any given day a dog just sleeps, and they will sleep in a crate.

Your dog will mirror your emotions about something so it is absolutely critical that your thoughts and feelings about the crate are positive and that the crate represents nothing but positive feelings and relaxation for your dog. It becomes a safe haven, a sanctuary to relax and be calm. Dogs thrive on structure and boundaries. A crate is perfectly fine. Do not feel bad at all.

Huskies can go in the mountains, yes. They were bred to pull sleds for hours and hours at a time with weight in the snow. Huskies under 1.5 years require very minimal to moderate stress on their limbs, but an adult Husky will have no problems. They are very tough, hardy dogs.

If you get an 8 week old puppy you will not be bikejoring, running, sledding, or weighted hiking or anything stressful to the joints for well over a full year. You can damage a puppy's body very easily with physical stress.

Puppies usually need to pee every 2-3 hours for the first month or so. But again, crate training makes this a lot easier and clean.

My dog is 2 years old and we do a structured walk at a brisk pace everyday for 3-4 miles, plus training almost daily, 1-2 playdates a week with his best friend, and some harness work at least once a week.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:52 am

Yes. What about leash training?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 3:54 am

Why did you say you are 16 but your age says 24?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:04 am

I just reread your first post and I feel I should warn you about something.

You said you are lonely and you need a friend, and that this will be your first dog for yourself.

I think you need to SERIOUSLY consider whether or not a Husky is the right dog for you. I take it that you are not very familiar at all with dogs in general by the questions you are asking. I think it might in fact be a very bad decision for you to get a Husky at this stage in your life with the mindset of alleviating loneliness, but having no experience with dogs.

Huskies are extremely stubborn.

Difficult to train.

Difficult to bond with.

Have very high prey drive that makes them very uninterested in you or what you want from them.

Not physically affectionate in the way that most dogs are OR how people expect dogs to be.

They challenge you constantly, often with their mouths.

Extremely demanding mentally and physically.

Generally drawn away from you, not towards you (prey drive, boredom).

Will make your life a complete hell if their needs are not consistently and thoroughly met.

Strong willed and determined.

Not the good loyal, loving dogs we romanticize about.

You have an extraordinary amount of homework and research and soul searching to do, please, before you consider buying a Husky.

Do not get seduced by the way they look. They can be monsters.

Back to top Go down
HellenicPride
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:08 am

Thanks about your last feed ... Because i heard and i know what are you talking about that's why i am stressed and i am thinking it too much..Of course i will think it more...!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:13 am

Well you aren't thinking it too much.

If you're thinking it and getting bad news or bad feelings then you should seriously consider that bad news and bad feelings. It is real.

It is very common for Huskies to not be recommended for first time dog owners. They are frustrating and difficult.
Back to top Go down
HellenicPride
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:17 am

I asked you about leash training beacause i read that huskies are one of the hardest breeds to leash train...And no...I had sleepless night's about huskies and american akitas...But amercan akitas are alot harder than huskies....I have bad feeling's that's why i am asking you...How long (minutes) you walk your husky per day?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:22 am

They are very difficult to leash train, it is true. They are stubborn, determined, prey driven, and they are very insensitive to corrections. They are also designed to pull sleds, which may as well just be you in a pair of shoes. All of this combined means they are difficult dogs to train.

We do 3-4 miles a day in about 1.5 hours every day in the morning and then another 30 minute walk at night almost every day.
Back to top Go down
HellenicPride
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! EmptySat Jan 10, 2015 4:24 am

Ok thanks for the help Smile
I am gonna think about it more !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello i need your help!   1 - Hello i need your help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello i need your help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-