It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? Empty
PostSubject: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? EmptySun Feb 22, 2015 10:31 pm

I like to give my boy a dental chew a couple times a week and I was wondering of getting him a bigger one. Is it bad if I give him a dental chew that says it's for dogs 50lbs and up? I've been giving him the ones for 25lbs dogs and he's currently 16lbs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? EmptyMon Feb 23, 2015 3:25 am

I think the weight suggestions refer mostly to the amount of calories in the item, for example when a kibble is labeled "large breed."

That said, whatever food item it is needs to be calculated in your dog's total daily intake. If you do it that way, you can get an objective view of what your dog is taking in verses your dog's lifestyle and activity level.

Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
japhotos
Newborn
Newborn
japhotos

Male Join date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 2:31 pm

The general rule for treats is they should make up no more than 10% of a dogs daily diet. The weight suggestions are for two reasons, the first, like Jeff said, would be for calorie intake. If you are feeding a 16lb dog with 50lb plus treats its probably more than 10% of their daily diet. The second reason is for choking hazards which is more for large dogs eating smaller treats. Big dogs can often try to swallow smaller treats whole which can cause problems. If you want to feed multiple treats every day you could look into some low calorie treats like biscuits. Based on your dogs age, I'm guessing that he just got his adult teeth in. If you were using the dental treats to help with mouth hygiene, try using split antlers instead. They are low calorie, keep them busy for days, and clean the teeth better than something like a Greenie. With a growing puppy you want to make sure they get the nutrition they need, the more treats they get, the less they will want to eat their dinner, which is the nutritious part of their diet. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Aaron63
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 7:17 am

Hey I am just thinking to start giving Green energy drinks to my boy. It’ll help him in maintaining weight and will improve immunity system. Isn’t that a good ideas friend?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 12:03 pm

What are green energy drinks? Are your REALLY sure you want to give energy drinks to a husky affraid
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 2:12 pm

David,
dental chews i think would be a little different then a regular treat. besides the texture to clean teeth do they not have other herbs/oils or what not in them that help clean the teeth as well? those added things given in a larger amount may upset his tummy? i only give mine those every now and then and know the ones i feed have a strong mint smell.

what would the reason for feeding a larger one be in your mind?

Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Old post but I decided to not give dental chews to Mylo at all anymore. Back then in Feb I got him a bigger one for fun (stupid) and his tummy did get upset and then months later (recently) since I saw his top back tooth getting kinda brownish..I got him some greenies, after four days of greenies..we noticed he didn't want to eat and seemed a bit off, maybe it was coincidence? then after two days of not giving him a greenie he seemed back to normal.

So now I think I should steer this thread to dental care! Mylo's teeth look great, I supply him with split elk antlers that individually last him about two months. He loves them of course and I know antlers do some good to teeth. The only concern is his tooth all the way to the back in top like I said earlier (both left and right). I've never tried brushing his teeth but now I wish I tried earlier as a younger pup. I remember reading something here about something that can be put in the drinking water but I dont remember.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2015 4:21 pm

I use this stuff in there food at night, and sorry did not catch it was an older thread

Proden PlaqueOff Dental Care for Dogs and Cats, 60gm
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047VWPNI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

PostSubject: Re: Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?   treats - Does the suggested weight of treats really matter? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does the suggested weight of treats really matter?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1