It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:34 am

Hello every one! My name is Jazz, and I'm a 19 year old female. I'm a relatively new Husky owner. I adopted my boy about 2 months ago. He's a year and a half, and his name is Reiko.

Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! IMG_1540-1

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:38 am

Haha! Love that picture! Welcome to our group.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:39 am

Hello! Welcome to the forum! Reiko is very handsome!

I love your avatar too Smile I'm also a horseback rider Smile

Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Welcome to The site .. Its a Great Place
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Welcome over here, Jazz! Smile

Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Thank you every one Smile
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

Female Join date : 2010-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Welcome! I am pretty new to husky ownership as well! We just got our boy when he was 10 weeks old, adopted him from a previous owner who had him less than 2 weeks before rehoming him! I have been wanting a husky since I was 6 and finally got the opportunity to own one! This place has taught me a lot ^_^

Your husky is gorgeous! I love his coat! And the horse in your avatar is also sooo cute! I would love to learn how to horseback ride!

Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Aw, thanks! All of your fur kids are so cute! How does Loki get along with the cats? I'm having trouble with my Husky and my cat, as he was already 1 1/2 when I got him, and clearly was never exposed to cats lol.
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

Female Join date : 2010-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Thankies! ^_^

Loki is at a stage where he is testing EVERY single thing including the other dogs and cats! He tries to chase the cats but he is normally stopped by me or my fiancee. It normally depends on which cat he tries to chase because they all react different. Zim hates dogs in about a 3 feet radius around him so we prevent loki from going near him to much other than a sniff hello, Tsume thinks he is a dog so we know he won't run. He actually rubs against Loki's face and Loki really likes him (kisses him and such) so we use Tsume as a socialization tool. Binx will tolerate Loki for a little while but when he gets annoyed of Loki's hyper activity we pull him away because Binx will run. And Gir is one Loki steers clear of because he tried to chase Gir once (he is the smallest and fastest cat) and Gir turned around and smacked him really good across the face and Loki whined. After 2 smacks he seems to leave the cats alone but he will bark and howl at them so we are trying to break him of that (and barking at other animals in general).

So I think if he hadn't been gotten at a young age and socialized a lot he would probably have grown up wanting to eat cats! LOL! Working on the "Leave it" command. Our dog coal LOVES cats indoors however if he sees a small animal outside he will chase it down and kill it. We had one close call with a feral cat in our yard and he actually was able to grab it but a firm LOUD LEAVE IT! Was enough to scare him back to us and the cat got away unscathed.

So its an awesome command to teach a dog early on! I personally feel that as long as the dog isn't going to the cats throat, and they are monitored, trained, and socialized most dogs can live with cats. Its just a matter of testing their levels of prey drive, training them to be less reactive, and teaching them the cat is part of their "pack" or atleast not a food source Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Welcome to the forum! Konrad was around cats from day one when he came home at 8 weeks old. My cat Icharus was a lot bigger than him at the time, Icharus is a huge cat, he was pushing 17lbs at the time (he's down to 14.5lbs now, still a little chunky but mostly just BIG). None of my cats are de-clawed, so he learned pretty quick if he plays too rough the cats hurt his face Razz At first I'd recommend not allowing Reiko to put his mouth on/around the cat at all until he understands the cat is a member of the family, not prey/food. It's important to supervise their interactions closely for a little while just to be safe, I don't mind Konrad playing with the cats in another room while I'm home, but he's crate-trained partially for the cats, I don't take chances when I'm not here. He'll probably adjust to the cat faster than the cat will to him, they may not ever become friends or buddies, but they should be able to co-exist peacefully.
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Hey, Thanks! Reiko is crate trained and he knows the word leave it, but his prey drive is so high that we actually have to keep the cat in another room, unless Reiko is on a leash ( with me home, he's crated when I'm gone so the cat can have the run of the house. And at night. ) . I had him on a leash attached to me for about the first 2 weeks I have had him, and he still tries to kill the cat. If I let him off the leash, he chases the cat, corner's it, barks and snaps at it.. Regardless of me yelling leave it. Even pulling him awayt and making him submit to me does not work. He just gets " in the zone", and I'm not sure how to break him out of it.
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Once they're in "in the zone" its pretty hard to break them out of it period, with his age it will be hard to train the prey drive out of him. I'd recommend paying close attention to him and dropping the leave it cue before he even has a chance to zone in like that. Watch his behavior, pay attention to his tail, ears and eyes, and you'll be able to tell when he's about to go for it. Using a clicker can really help in this situation in getting his attention the moment before he would move.

For some really good info on clicker training check out Kikopup's Channel
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Hmm.. getting a husky at that age having never been exposed to cats, you have a very slim chance of training it out of him. It can be done, but he will NEVER be 100% trustworthy around cats. Ever. I would be very very careful and I might solicit the help of a professional. What you describe sounds like a very tough case and I fear for you and the animals Sad

I'm not trying to discourage you, but to be realistic. Huskies have a very very high prey drive and once it kicks in, there is almost no training it out of him.

Good luck! And keep us posted. Welcome to the forum again Smile

Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Nush
Newborn
Newborn
Nush

Female Join date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 am

adorable pup!
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:48 pm

j.gabriel wrote:
Aw, thanks! All of your fur kids are so cute! How does Loki get along with the cats? I'm having trouble with my Husky and my cat, as he was already 1 1/2 when I got him, and clearly was never exposed to cats lol.

Hello and welcome!

I think one of the biggest factors as to whether or not they will eventually get along is to establish areas that are just for the cat - we have a bedroom with a pet door up that allows the cat through, but the keeps the dog out. That way, Cosmo can eat and potty in peace without Nikolai around. Cosmo also has a tower and our bed - Nikolai respects his space and never bothers him. What we have to worry about is our cat chasing our dog around. Nikolai is *so* mellow, the cat will just bully him if we don't watch him.

Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! 5370622862_d67c2439cc_z
Untitled by CoffeeK8, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!   Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada! Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1