It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

Female Join date : 2015-03-22

Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 3:18 pm

jalepeno wrote:
Welcome.
Your dog is beautiful and looks like a wooly to me.

I've been to Cork years ago.
We spent the night in a B&B on the way to Dublin from the Dingle Peninsula.
I vaguely remember a pub by the river.

While I don't love particularly Cork city, I love the countryside here, loads of wonderful wild places! If you will ever visit here again, I can suggest you some!

amymeme wrote:

My bet, too, is on wooly - while he does not have the prolific feathers that Ami does, his head, and especially the fluff around the ears really suggest it to me.  The silkiness of the outer coat, too (some places, I have seen reference to sub types of wooly where one is profuse undercoat and others is more long, silky outer coat. Not sure if this is really a valid distinction.) Also, even though the body coat and belly are not as enormous as some I've seen online, like Ami's body coat, it does obscure his lines and undulates when he moves. (I finally watched the video).

Good news?  He is stunningly beautiful, especially with that mask and the richness of his black parts.  Bad news?  You have an ongoing grooming challenge.  Since he is young, I urge you to accustom him to grooming now - my boy was adopted at about 1 year of age, and clearly, was NOT accustomed to grooming.  It has been an ongoing hassle to keep him free of matts, mostly around the ears, in his leg feathers and his pants.  Which is why, at the moment, he has a rather butchered haircut on his legs Rolling Eyes

There is some speculation that woolies have a lovely, sweet disposition.  Ami supports that belief, even if it is a myth.

Me or my partner groom him almost every day, he loves to be brushed, and he doesn't mind some bath either!  The coat is incredibly soft everywhere, only the tail is a bit rough XD

And he is indeed super sweet, falls asleep in our lap, "hugs" us, and he's nice and likes to "kiss" everyone. I just have to keep an eye on him because he would probably run away with anyone who gives him some cuddle Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 1625187496
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Lily82 wrote:

And he is indeed super sweet, falls asleep in our lap, "hugs" us, and he's nice and likes to "kiss" everyone. I just have to keep an eye on him because he would probably run away with anyone who gives him some cuddle Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 1625187496

Haha, typical husky for you!
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Yeah I would have never expected that, my old Alaskan Malamute she was a "guard" dog, and wouldn't let anyone touch her aside from me and my parents or very good friends.
Apparently I got the two extremes for both breeds, as I read that sometimes malamutes are protective and guard dogs, while huskies are "everyone's dogs"
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 4:41 pm

Lily82 wrote:

Me or my partner groom him almost every day, he loves to be brushed, and he doesn't mind some bath either!  The coat is incredibly soft everywhere, only the tail is a bit rough XD

You are so lucky - I end up either trussing Ami to a door knob or chasing him around the kitchen to groom Rolling Eyes

My biggest fear is someone will pull in the driveway, open a car door and away he will go...Ami just loves people. Really not keen on a whole lot of cuddles though - as sweet as he is, he is one of the more "keep your distance" kind of huskies. Sort of "look, don't touch" kind of boy Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 4:46 pm

I think these 2 short vids could be fun for you then XD

Here he won't let me drink my coffee

This is what happens in the morning, he sleeps next to the bed but when we wake up, he wants to come in the bed with us to cuddle
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 4:51 pm

Lily82 wrote:
I think these 2 short vids could be fun for you then XD

Here he won't let me drink my coffee

lol! lol!

Yes - certainly is reminiscent...when I want to drink my coffee before morning walk and Ami thinks that coffee is surperfluos, first he nudges me like Rascal, then it rapidly escalates into pawing, jumping up on me and grabbing my clothes with his mouth and pulling...by this time I'm laughing so hard, drinking the coffee becomes impossible...
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 4:54 pm

amymeme wrote:

lol!  lol!

Yes - certainly is reminiscent...when I want to drink my coffee before morning walk and Ami thinks that coffee is surperfluos, first he nudges me like Rascal, then it rapidly escalates into pawing, jumping up on me and grabbing my clothes with his mouth and pulling...by this time I'm laughing so hard, drinking the coffee becomes impossible...

yeah, and if there's also some biscuit with the coffee, then it's impossible to keep them away XD
But he is nice, I think he never actually stole any food (yet), while I remember my old malamute would sneak inside and steal the bread my father was placing on the shelf... (she used to live outside as in Italy we had a huge harden and a wooden house she could use as kennel, the gate was open she was not leaving the property, great dog!)
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Since I mentioned her... This was "Lupa" as we called her, as the full name was something like "Beautiful Lady of Darkness di Selvaspina" xD
RIP when she was around 12 y. o. but she left lot of good memories Smile

Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 1914198_276638161907_4785339_n
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Also, I'll move to the scrapbook thread for all the pics and videos ^^ Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 9:32 am

HAPPY WEIRD-LOOKING CAT DAY EVERYONE! xD

Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 11081496_1598798803666723_977122333035312141_n
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Welcome! wave

Your Rascal is very cute! Love the short videos Smile
I have been to Ireland and I have to say that it has definitely been my favorite place visited, by far!
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Rascal is beautiful !!! I would say definitely a Wooly too. Im no expert though but from what Ive seen with Wooly's, besides their coats, haha, is that the have a very fine, almost delicate, bone structure in their face. I see it in Amy's "Ami" and theres a puppy in here named "Milo" (or Mylo) where I see it as well. Its quite pretty. Rascal, to me, has that.

Btw, welcome to the forum!! Smile

Ahh, and I read above what you said regarding Malamutes...I used to have one as well, he was an amazing dog. Anyways, its said the Malamute is more a "one man dog" while a Siberian Husky "loves everyone ", haha ...my Malamute didnt guard and wasnt aggressive, but he was definitely MY dog. I, just this past weekend on my hike with Kohdi, experienced a Malamute and his "guarding"...I honestly thought it just was a badly socialized dog (he saw Kohdi and lunged at him with that awful snarling and growling...Kohdi just looked at him like "WTF", haha) and I heard the owner tell a friend that his Malamute didnt like other Malamutes or Huskies...but what you said makes me wonder if its just a Malamute thing? mine wasnt like that but......he also grew up with a Husky Wink Anyways, your Lupa was beautiful Smile there is just something about Malamute eyes...I see my Malamute in the eyes of every Malamute I see.

Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 7:55 am

Artic_Wind wrote:
Rascal is beautiful !!! I would say definitely a Wooly too. Im no expert though but from what Ive seen with Wooly's, besides their coats, haha, is that the have a very fine, almost delicate, bone structure in their face. I see it in Amy's "Ami" and theres a puppy in here named "Milo" (or Mylo) where I see it as well. Its quite pretty. Rascal, to me, has that.

Btw, welcome to the forum!! Smile

Ahh, and I read above what you said regarding Malamutes...I used to have one as well, he was an amazing dog. Anyways, its said the Malamute is more a "one man dog" while a Siberian Husky "loves everyone ", haha ...my Malamute didnt guard and wasnt aggressive, but he was definitely MY dog. I, just this past weekend on my hike with Kohdi, experienced a Malamute and his "guarding"...I honestly thought it just was a badly socialized dog (he saw Kohdi and lunged at him with that awful snarling and growling...Kohdi just looked at him like "WTF", haha) and I heard the owner tell a friend that his Malamute didnt like other Malamutes or Huskies...but what you said makes me wonder if its just a Malamute thing? mine wasnt like that but......he also grew up with a Husky Wink Anyways, your Lupa was beautiful Smile there is just something about Malamute eyes...I see my Malamute in the eyes of every Malamute I see.

My malamute was one of a kind, she was fine with other dogs and cats (fine as in, she wouldn't pay attention to them) but she was getting jealous if my uncle's dog was coming to us for cuddles, then she would chase her away. She was fine with people coming to my place for working, like the gardener, as long as they didn't touch her she would just sit nearby and look at what they were doing. Then she would go nuts with the postman and door to door salesmen, she was howling like crazy (she never barked, only howled her entire life) and leaping at the gate trying to bite their hands. She once bit a kid who was walking with my little nephew in the garden, apparently because he "slapped" my nephew on the neck for playing. She didn't hurt him at all but she kinda mouthed-bite him enough to scare him :p Then it was a damn tragedy to take her to the veterinary. He had to sneak behind her while we were distracting her to give her vaccines, and if there was something more to do, be it grooming or checking her teeth etc... we had to anesthetize her every time.
Then again, she chased away thieves a couple of times, killed small snakes, rats, "coypu" or whatever they are called in English (we had few of them because of a little river behind the house). And when only me or my family were with her, she then was the sweetest dog in the world XD
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 9:28 pm

"One of a kind" is exactly how I describe my Malamute. He is a dog I will never forget. When my brother and I would argue, he was protective but in a different way...instead of going after my brother, he'd lay on top of me (I normally would go and throw myself on my bed...yeah, I was a little dramatic, lol) and he'd lay on top of me so I couldn't get up and get my ass kicked, haha. On walks, when we'd come to a traffic light and have to wait to cross, he would stand on my shoe with one of his big paws, and lean his head against me, it was the cutest thing. Like yours, he never barked but he did have this rolling howl things, similar to a husky. There are just so many things that made him so special..they truly are like no other dog. There is a brilliant poem about Malamutes, I printed it out along with his picture and framed it. He lived a good long life of 16 years. His husky "brother" lived to be 17, but passed away before my Malamute. He took it hard. That's when I got my past 2 huskies, and there was this one thing that just amazed me. Those 2 puppies would run around the house like little terrors, haha, my malamute would be walking thru the house and those 2 puppies would come skidding to a halt...my malamute would lift his paw and place it on the puppies forehead and they both would immediately bow down. It was amazing to watch!!! Although the puppies I think "helped" him, he really never was the same when the Husky passed away. Sad

Anyways, your Rascal is just beautiful. Welcome to the forum Smile
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

Male Join date : 2013-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 11:12 pm

Amy wrote:
There is some speculation that woolies have a lovely, sweet disposition.  Ami supports that belief, even if it is a myth.

I am curious about this possibility. Lyra certainly supports this: she just makes people melt. And she is very "woolie". Both her parents were perfect show specimens, but she definitely got the gene. Even as a young puppy she had a lot of hair. Here is a recent photo of her sleeping to give an idea of how much hair a woolie has. She is a bit overweight (because of the epilepsy drugs) but nowhere near fat : that is all just hair. Note also her tail: it is a complete "plume":

Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 2015-010

Can you point me to anywhere that this idea that woolies are super sweet is written about?
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 11:54 pm

^ this pic should be entered in this months HOTM...she is adorable Smile
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 am

Lyra is super cute!!!

And well when I'll move to Finland I hope I'll have a lot of place and some money to afford more dogs, then I'd probably get another malamute xD
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

Lidia - You're moving to Finland?
Back to top Go down
Lily82
Newborn
Newborn
Lily82

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Cyberpup wrote:
Lidia - You're moving to Finland?

That's the plan, boyfriend is Finnish, and I applied for a university in Lapland, but at the moment I still have my job in Ireland. We'll see in the next months Smile
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 am

Awesome! We will be making a short trip to Finland this summer. My wife has Finnish ancestry.
I have Irish heritage and was able to visit Ireland some years ago. It was very beautiful! And we got to explore a Faerie Ring!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?    Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi from Rascal - Cork, Ireland - Am I a wooly?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next