It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hard Time With Leash Walking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Treyzian
Newborn
Newborn

leash - Hard Time With Leash Walking Empty
PostSubject: Hard Time With Leash Walking   leash - Hard Time With Leash Walking EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 10:02 pm

I have an 11 week old puppy who I'm starting to train how to walk on a leash, and she absolutely refuses to move when the leash is on and she feels the slightest pull. She'll fight and dig in. I've tried to use treats to reward her for walking with me, but after a week, nothing's changed. If I stand still, she'll start to wander and sniff things, but when I start walking, any tug and it's another 2 minutes of her digging in and sitting on her butt.

What should I do? Thanks for the help! Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Hard Time With Leash Walking   leash - Hard Time With Leash Walking EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 pm

I would attach the leash in the house and just let her drag it around while you are there. At 11 weeks, her "walks" should be less than 15 minutes using the 5 min per month of age rule to protect her joints. Initially, just sort of follow her lightly holding the leash. Once she will walk, letting you follow her, you can try getting in front of her and enticing her, either with a toy, a treat or clapping your hands, making fun, a tuggy toy etc.

She is a wide-eyed, look at this whole wonderful world baby at the moment...try to gently guide her by engaging her curiosity and sense of play.

Oh - and be careful! When son first got Archer at 4 mos.(who I "sit" for frequently) he was a real treat on leash. Sometimes he would walk oh so beautifully...then suddenly turn around, wrap me in the leash, trip me, get under my feet, get stepped on...it's a wonder both of us still have all our limbs after his first year lol!
Back to top Go down
vbear
Newborn
Newborn
vbear

Female Join date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Hard Time With Leash Walking   leash - Hard Time With Leash Walking EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Leash training can be difficult! I've helped a lot of people with this problem, in your case here's what I would do.

First, I'd start with really short lessons, think 30 second bursts, until she gets more secure about being leashed.

Second, remember to always keep it loose, as much as you can. Pressure on the leash encourages her to add pressure on her side. Dogs are smart and people don't want to cause them stress and make them struggle, huskies take advantage of that and will sit, roll, yelp, and generally just cause a huge scene to make you give way to them. Once they learn that (looks like yours did!) it can be hard to break them of it. But do not despair!

Pick a path that leads some where she wants to go; say its feeding time and she want's to get to the kitchen, put a leash on her and go to the kitchen, making sure you keep the leash loose so she doesn't feel pressure and freak out. Take the leash off once you get there, continue to do little things like that, where she's wearing the leash for a really short time.

If it works and she starts getting used to it, then choose longer paths.

If at any point she starts throwing a tantrum or sitting on her butt to stop progress, just gently pick her up and set her facing the direction you want to go and try again. Do it as many times as necessary, but don't lose your cool, you don't want her to think you're upset. You just want her to know that no matter how many times she does the wrong thing you're going to set her back on the right track. (Never try to use the leash to pull them into a position you want because most of the time it will back fire and either make them MORE stubborn or it'll make them insecure.)

A method I like to use is to just stand still while holding the leash, you say she will get up and sniff around if you don't pull right? So don't pull. Let her come close, and then step away, the only pressure she will feel is when she tries to go in the opposite direction, don't let her. Make her stand with a loose leash. When she comes toward you again, repeat it.

Eventually she will realize that its HER responsibility to keep the leash loose, and she'll stick close enough to do it and she'll watch where you go.

This method takes A LOT of patience, but I've found that it makes the best leash trained dogs on the block. It's a little more time at the beginning, but once they learn to always stay close enough to keep the leash loose and watch for cues you will be getting so many compliments on your well trained dog.

I'm just going to finish with a quote I learned from a great horse trainer. "The slow way is the fast way!"

I hope I've helped, if you've got any questions I am happy to answer them.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Hard Time With Leash Walking   leash - Hard Time With Leash Walking EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 7:32 pm

got to try that with Leo. i too have not master the lose leash walk and hes one year old  Crying or Very sad , but it takes along time to do. I've been taking my time though. I'm still working on it with him when we walk.

took me a long time to get my chihuahua to do as well. Laughing
Back to top Go down
mowens1991
Newborn
Newborn
mowens1991

PostSubject: Re: Hard Time With Leash Walking   leash - Hard Time With Leash Walking EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 10:34 pm

Anyone try http://www.thundershirt.com/thunderleash.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrJ2tBRD13N7T5u7k9I8BEiQA5APAAG4H6ackkwpoLLrOXhAPVRRCd71aNymRn2w2U2rYe7oaApT-8P8HAQ
As a training tool for leash etiquette??
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Hard Time With Leash Walking   leash - Hard Time With Leash Walking EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 5:28 pm

i usually try to avoid thing that squishes them around their sides, it would think its way to uncontrollable and to distracting. i did find this video has some good tips on picking out the right harness for walking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJrh-NeGIog
I'm considering getting a harness to help me train him to walk better and I'll have an extra if one needs to be washed, but i know there's now quick fixes just vary good advice and training tool to help along the way. and extreme patience that will be tested Laughing .

Last edited by RedFlashFire05 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard Time With Leash Walking   leash - Hard Time With Leash Walking Empty

Back to top Go down

Hard Time With Leash Walking

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1