It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

anybody do rescue?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aprilmitchem
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2011-01-29

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:37 am

I work in rescue for both breed specific and all breed rescues. I am thinking about starting a Siberian Husky rescue in Alabama as we don't have one here. Anyone work in rescue on the forum?

April
Back to top Go down
http://www.examiner.com/dog-care-in-birmingham/april-mitchem
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:45 am

There a few of us that volunteer for a Husky rescue in Colorado and a few on the forum in other states that foster dogs.

I'm not sure if I can answer any of your questions, but ask...I'm sure someone will respond if they can help.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:01 am

I also volunteer. I think starting one would be great but I think it takes a lot of time as well as money or funding, and a good group of people helping

Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:51 am

I am the Vice President for the board of our local animal Shelter. I don't know how I can help, but if I can let me know.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 2:38 am

I'm another volunteer for the Colorado rescue here. I'm still the clueless newbie with lots to learn. ;-)
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 am

I foster kittens for a local shelter and help with reference check and home visits for the husky rescue here. My mom has been doing all breed rescue for as long as I can remember.

anybody do rescue? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Kimo
Newborn
Newborn
Kimo

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:54 pm

We do transport for rescues. Anybody who actually does rescue, thank you!
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

Female Join date : 2010-12-27

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 5:39 am

I work in an animal shelter, all my animals are rescues, and I sometimes foster when I can ^_^
Back to top Go down
aprilmitchem
Newborn
Newborn

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm

I work with several different rescues and everyone seems to do things just a little differently. I'm trying to figure out what will work best for us. If ya'll could tell me a few things, I would appreciate it.
1. What one thing does your rescue/shelter do absolutely right?

2. What one thing does your rescue/shelter do absolutely wrong?

3. For a husky rescue, would you require that all adopters have a fence? When I got my husky, I didn't have a fence and I lived with her and my other dog in an apartment. So, I'm inclined to say no BUT I know all people aren't as careful as I am about not letting them get loose.

4. Any ideas for finding/obtaining/convincing folks to foster?

Thanks ya'll!
Back to top Go down
SiriusRed
Newborn
Newborn
SiriusRed

Female Join date : 2011-02-03

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 10:31 pm

I used to foster wolfdogs. It was very rewarding, but it was also a lot of stress. And it was so hard to give them up once we had been fostering them for a while. Fostering is a lot easier than running your own rescue. It's a lot less expensive as well. It might be a good place to start if you one day want to run a rescue organization. The rescue I fostered for was a nationwide rescue. They had fosters all over the states and if they got wind of a wolfdog in a kill shelter somewhere they would contact a foster in that area who would then be able to go pull the dog.
Back to top Go down
aprilmitchem
Newborn
Newborn

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks for the idea. I do foster and have fostered for several years. I've volunteered with several different organizations, doing everything from reference checks to home visits to processing applications to fostering and transporting dogs. I'm not jumping into running a rescue blindly. We have a need here for Siberian rescue since there are no rescues in my state and only a couple in the whole southeast. I have several mentors in the rescue world who are guiding me in setting it up. However, none of them know Siberians so I am hoping some folks here might have some advice about rescuing Siberians.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 pm

That's good of you to consider starting a husky rescue in an area that has none. We don't have any huskies rescues here in the Charleston and surrounding areas either. I talked with a rescue organizer who used to run the only husky rescue in this area but due to the overwhelming number of dogs, not just huskies, who needed help she's opened up the rescue to all breeds and is not focused solely on huskies anymore, although she does have a large number of sibes in her rescue.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 3:27 pm

I wish I could extend the Husky rescue here in Colorado. I answer the hotline, and everytime we have to turn one away because we don't have any foster homes available, it breaks my heart. I just got a call last night from someone in Colorado Springs saying she picked up a puppy with no tags or microchip and she said the female puppy couldn't have been more than 6-8 months old. She was out in negative degree temperatures, shivering.

Good luck in getting a Husky rescue opened!

Newborn
Newborn

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 pm

When I get going, maybe we can do some work together. We seem to have waves here where there will be 4 or 5 huskies needing help and then none for a long while. If we have open fosters, I will always be willing to take dogs from other states. The trick right now is getting the paperwork done and then finding folks to foster. Any advice on advertising for fosters?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

anybody do rescue? Empty
PostSubject: Re: anybody do rescue?   anybody do rescue? Empty

Back to top Go down

anybody do rescue?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1