It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pregnant with a husky pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerece
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2015-04-09

Pregnant with a husky pup Empty
PostSubject: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyWed Jul 15, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi everyone! It's been a very long time since I've posted. Kiko is now 7 months. (We think she's around a month younger then previously thought and put on her paper work because she's so small and looks like other huskies who are 6 or 7 months old) My husband and I recently found out that we are expecting baby #2. I'm due in February 2016. Alongside my husband and I, we have our 5 year old daughter and a 1 1/2 year old German Shepherd. We have a friend who knows a ton about huskies and we have been talking. He's a bit concerned for us about the upcoming changes and how things will go for us and for Kiko. He said that she sees me as alpha, and not so much the others. The concern is that she may not like the baby and will resent/act out, become destructive, and/or attack me (before the baby is born) or after the baby is born possibly attack the baby. He was telling me he has heard so many horror stories of huskies and babies, and was talking to me about the breed and how they see things, etc.

Currently Kiko is doing pretty good. She knows how to come, sit, shake, lay down, show belly. She fetches (which took so long didn't think it'd happen haha). She's doing much better on leash. Part of the concern comes from about 1 1/2 months ago or so she snipped at my daughter. I was sitting next to them when it happened. My daughter grabbed her collar to pull her away from the book shelf and she turned around, snipped at her a couple inches from her face (She did not try to bite, it was a snip. If she wanted to bite she could have honestly) and then I saw what looked like her glaring at our daughter. She has not done it since. She used to be stand offish towards my husband and especially daughter, and would not listen to either of them. She now listens sometimes to them, and seems to really like our daughter. I watch them very closely and don't let our daughter do certain things. She does not punish. She feeds and gives water to our dogs. (Not always but a good amount of the time) She plays with Kiko and when I brush Kiko she will give the treats. Sometimes will also brush her. Kiko seems to be really rather gentle with her.

My friend has suggested that we rehome her because she's young. I to be honest do not want to. I've had to rehome dogs in the past and do not want to do that because we're expecting a baby. I'm sure other people have had babies and kept their huskies. Can someone shed some light from other husky owners on this for us? Does expecting a baby mean that a pup should be rehomed? How do they do with the incoming of a new "pack member"? She is really good with other people and children. She does hackle her coat if her and I are out walking at some people. I don't know why she does to some and not others. She does fine with other animals. I'm just not sure what to do? I'd also like to add that currently I am not working. Our daughter is starting school later in August so there is more time for me to solidify training with her. Time isn't an issue, and if I am put on bed rest my husband is up to the task of walking her. Hoping someone can share experiences, advice, suggestions, etc.

ETA: I did post this in a different forum but I think it was the wrong one. x.x
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 am

It sounds like your friend doesn't know Jack squat about huskies. Sorry. It's late and I'm on my phone, I'll come back to this tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 12:07 am

I removed your other 2 posts, one will suffice!

I think what this other person is suggesting about rehoming and horror stories of huskies and babies is completely false. I chose the breed partly because I wanted a dog that would be great with children. Granted, it is up to you and your husband to ensure Kiko has all the necessary training, safe (child free) space, and boundaries well before baby 2 comes along. And you have PLENTY of time for that so I wouldn't worry. It IS concerning the reaction to your current daughter but considering what your daughter did to instigate it, not surprising. In this case I would suggest working more diligently with both Kiko AND your daughter.

My sibe was my first "baby" and I have brought 2 (human) babies into this world with no problems whatsoever when it comes to my dogs. It is up to us to teach our dogs to respect the little ones. It is also up to us to protect our dogs from the little ones as well, not to mention the dogs need their own "safe" and child free zone to be able to escape whenever they need it. I have 2 toddlers right now and I can say with certainty that my dogs NEED their safe place and often!

Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck!

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:25 am

Ditto what Huskyluv said.  And I just visited with my son and grandchildren 15mos to 6 yrs.  Doggie loved them, they loved doggie.  Not a problem.

EDIT: I had my first husky BEFORE the birth of my first 2 children!

Last edited by amymeme on Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:45 am

I said I'd come back, but Val has addressed it quite well.

I just have to say, it makes me really mad when someone suggests rehoming a dog simply for the fact that you are expecting. Not sure what kind of experiences your friend has, but I'd be a bit wary of any other of his "expert" husky advice.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:53 am

I have a coworker who has a husky far more set in her ways than yours and went through a pregnancy and the dog did wonderful. She was more in tuned with her during the pregnancy and when the kid came it was like it had always been around. Just socialize her around other kids before while you're pregnant and stop listening to your friend. I don't think he knows as much as he thinks he does. Sounds like a lot of hearsay from other people who don't know a lot about huskies. Don't rehome your dog. Just teach her, which it sounds like you are already well on your way with.

Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 12:36 pm

I definitely agree with the advice everyone has given here.

If you DO have worries about Kiko and the baby, you can always bring in a trainer to help work on her behavior. I would not suggest rehoming your dog just because someone said to.

I know people that had very well behaved dogs and still brought in a trainer just to help them ease into the new routine.

Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 10:11 pm

I can tell you that any husky I've ever had (6 in total in my entire life) have always had a *natural* affection for children, every single one of them. I'll never forget as a kid, one of our huskies at the time, walking between my teeny tiny little sister and our swimming pool and nudging her away when our husky thought she was getting too close (my parents were out there too of course) to the pool, I remember just being in awe of that and I've never forgotten it. My mom has a photo of my little sister floating in one of those pool lounge chairs when she was a little bit older, she's right next to the side of the pool and our husky is stepping on the side of the lounge and giving my little sister kisses, which is really cool because our husky is totally trusting her too, if that lounge moves, he's in the water, lol. I definitely have noticed throughout my life with huskies, that they have a very natural love of children.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm sorry, but I ave to ask for pictures when you give birth to that Husky pup ... that's what flashes through my mind every time I see that heading.

I have one Husky who's been food aggressive / possessive - she didn't bat an eye when a young tyke walked right in front of her with a cookie in hand. I didn't see the kid until he was *right there* so I was holding my breath, praying. She's also taken hugs from little kids, it's obvious she's not impressed but she tolerates it well.

True, there have been some bad stories in the news - they're few and far between which doesn't mean anything when it's your kid and your dog - but most of the ones I've seen were the result of "parental" stupidity.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:33 pm

I just had a baby. This is B.S.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:43 pm

Megn, I think we all agree with that, but there has been a little bad press and the OP has reason to be concerned - I hope that all the concerns have been laid to rest!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Cerece
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 11:53 pm

aljones wrote:
Megn, I think we all agree with that, but there has been a little bad press and the OP has reason to be concerned - I hope that all the concerns have been laid to rest!

Yes they have! Thank you all so very much! I spoke with my husband and planned on keeping her and just doing research further on how to get her accustomed to maybe having another little one around. Thankfully she hasn't shown any aggression since that time but because it did happen I am a hawk. Do you guys have any advice on how to prep her to us having the baby around? I've heard mixed suggestions of either having the dogs in the house and come in with the baby, or vice versa. Thank you everyone for your replies! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 7:15 am

Ashley, I didn't do anything special before bringing baby home or first introductions. None of that letting the dog smell an article of baby's clothes before bringing baby home. Just be sure your dog respects you and listens to your instruction so that when baby does come home you can easily give Kiko clear instruction on her boundaries and go from there. The only interaction a newborn will get with a dog is a quick sniff here and there.

PostSubject: Re: Pregnant with a husky pup   Pregnant with a husky pup Empty

Back to top Go down

Pregnant with a husky pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1