It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Koda has weird hair...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

Koda has weird hair... Empty
PostSubject: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 am

So Koda's hair as she ages is becoming kind of curly. It's almost as if she has thousands of cow licks all over her back. When I brush her, they fall back in the same place. She has shed all of her puppy fur, so now the guard hairs look like they are all that's left. Her back is just one giant cow lick... Could I be brushing her wrong, or not enough, or could I be drying her wrong after her baths?

Do any of you have this problem when your dogs shed for the summer, and if so, how did you fix it?
Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 11:51 am

Koda has weird hair... 19238711643_d7e8e0ec90_z

This is what I'm talking about. Why is it doing this?
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:33 pm

That is a bit funny. Has she gotten wet and then air dried lately?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:38 pm

I can't remember if Koda is pure bred or not? Do you have papers? I have seen this but usually in lab mixes.

Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:43 pm

My gsd memphis had this at that age maybe he has some gsd in him? They do grow out of it eventually.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Yes, she has air dried before, but It's like that even after I give her a bath and dry her with a towel and a blower. I do let her go outside after I dry her with a towel to lie in the sun, could that be it?

I can't find anything about it on the internet. I found one page on here about it, but the guy who posted it said he would post a picture and never did. It's very confusing!

She gets a bath probably once a month, or as often as she finds a dead critter she can roll around on, and then I brush her once a week with an undercoat rake and a slicker brush. I do against the fur first, then with the fur.

She is registered AKC as a Husky.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm

Well, whatever it is, I don't imagine that it's an issue at all.
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 12:51 pm

I actually think it's kind of cute, but was just curious what could be causing it. I've never seen it before in a husky.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm with Jenn on this one, I've seen it on every lab I've ever had so if she were a mix I wouldn't be surprised, but on a full breed Husky??? It does look odd.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyMon Jul 20, 2015 1:21 pm

It's super strange. She looks like a full husky to me, and like I said she is AKC registered, so I know it's not from mixing. It's just odd...

Koda has weird hair... 19684016342_1115eaa1bf_z
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Update: I haven't given her a bath in almost a month, and it seems to be straightening out. I'm guessing it was the way I dried her last time. How should I dry her? I use a towel and get her as dry as I can with a towel, then she just runs around outside in the sun.
Back to top Go down
GravityM
Senior
Senior
GravityM

Female Join date : 2014-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 8:16 pm

I recommend towel drying and then use a high velocity dryer (hvd) to blow her dry Smile great for shedding also.
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Looks more genetic than how you dry the dog. Although if I let mine air dry after a bath she has a small patch of hair in the same place as yours that cowlicks or appears her hackles are up haha. I would just towel dry and like the others said, if you have a dryer that will definitely straighten it out.
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

Female Join date : 2015-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 11:46 am

Artemis' back does that. She just has a thick stripe down her spine and it gets extremely wavy like that. I have to scrub her really good at least once a month, and brush it out to get it to lay like it is supposed to. She has not other wavy part on her, just that section, which also happens to be the blackest part of her. I hadn't really noticed it much until I saw your post. Cowlick Club...haha.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Funny, haven't seen Tyler on here in quite a while, Sad it is neat that you resurrected this thread Stefanie....I belong to several dog groups, and I can add now what I didn't know when Tyler originally posted this. It is a malamute thing, lol, mals will have this slight wave to their back fur, have also seen it in some gsd's. So maybe several generations ago there was either gsd or mal in your pups lineage????
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Not that I am aware of. She is CKC and NAPR registered. I'll have to look into it. I was browsing around to see if anyone was having itching problems like Pasha, or if his itching was because of his belly troubles and ran across this. I just washed and brushed Artemis out really well the other day and made a comment about it to my sister.
Back to top Go down
TigerCzarina
Teenager
Teenager
TigerCzarina

Female Join date : 2015-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Totally late to the thread, but Luka has a stripe down his back just like that, too! It gets better with brushing, sometimes. Don't know why-he's purebred too. Weird!!!
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyTue Aug 30, 2016 3:45 pm

Leo gets waves like that when he is wet, and the hair slowly straightens out as he drys.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 12:58 am

I am just wondering if it may be a snow dog thing, northern breed....hence why i mentioned mals and gsds.......although you just never know, bahahahaha. Pretty sure if so many have it, it is a husky thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Stefanie Miles
Teenager
Teenager
Stefanie Miles

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... EmptyWed Aug 31, 2016 10:47 am

Must be. Learn something new all the time. I'm gonna keep an eye on Pasha and see if his does it when he gets older. My dogs have the same dad, so maybe they get it from him. Haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Koda has weird hair...   Koda has weird hair... Empty

Back to top Go down

Koda has weird hair...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1