It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help! I have screwed up BADLY!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idle
Newborn
Newborn
Idle

Male Join date : 2015-08-13

Help! I have screwed up BADLY! Empty
PostSubject: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 11:52 am

I've screwed up, and rushed into purchasing a 22 month old little boy, Siberian Husky, he is lovely, he is cuddly ect but here is where the problem lays

He doesn't like Cuba, I was told he is good with other dogs, but Cuba has touched his food, and now Cuba is victim of being bitten, and is scared obviously being 3 months old.

I don't know if its a temporary thing what with having 3 homes, in 3 days, Original own, new owner, and now mine? I don't know if he has been abused in the past, I know he hasnt been for a walk in 3 months, which will result in bad temper, But I can not have him attacking Cuba, and the two kittens I have, at the moment, he is in my room seperate from everyone else as to not hurt them after he drew blood from Cuba, I am scared to let him go near him, and Cuba is obviously scared to go near him as well..

I don't want to get rid of him, its already unfair of him to have 4 homes, in 22 months, and i really wished he did get on well with other dogs, He is a bit on the bad side, but is it too late to correct his behaviours? he hasn't been neautred, which might help a little but, at the moment im struggling in what to do to make him be welcomed into the home, my mums boyfriend has already said he is too dangerous towards the other animals, and we can't keep him... but I feel that is a bit rushed as he has only been here 2 hours.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 pm

Boundaries. You will have to teach boundaries, feed separate, teach him to respect food. It is not always easy to bring a second dog into a household. There is a process and slow adjustment period.

It is never too late to correct behaviors. Hopefully someone else can chime in and help you with how to adjust his behavior.

TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 1:57 pm

As ashleigh said, feed separately. Get him used to sharing his food space with you before he has to share it with another dog. Teach both dogs to not mess with the other's bowl. The biggest thing is reintroducing these dogs on good terms. Calm down or you will make it worse. My girl is very dog aggressive and we were still able to get a second dog. We introduced them through a fence to begin with until we could get a gauge on how she would react, then we merged them into a joint area. No toys and no food for the first long while. You don't want anything they can be possessive over. Get Cuba to a play date with a dog he gets along with to help shake off the incident with this dog so he doesn't start thinking he needs to fear all dogs.

Adult
Adult
Rumflower

Female Join date : 2015-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 2:47 pm

First off, calm down. A lot of dogs have food aggression. It can be overcome.

Second off, commit or quit. It's unfair to him to have to give up a home after he's settled in. If you don't think you can put in the time and effort to rehabilitate him then quickly find him someone who can. I've been kicked out because of Loki's teething, but I went wherever he did, come hell or high water.

I would neuter him. Neutering can help with any hormone issues, and it just prevents potential problems later on. Talk to your vet if you have any questions about it, as they will be your best resource on that. After he's recovered from his neutering, get him on an exercise routine. He is pretty much an adult, and will need a great deal of it. All training is easier when they're well exercised. It will also help you bond with him.

Here are some articles on dealing with food aggression: http://shibashake.com/dog/stop-food-aggression-stop-resource-guarding

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/food-aggressive/food-aggression-and-what-to-do-about-it

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/food-guarding

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/how-i-treat-food-related-aggression-dogs?rel=canonical

http://shibashake.com/dog/stop-food-aggression-stop-resource-guarding

Take active steps in preventing similar behavior in Cuba, as well. Dogs do learn by watching eachother, and Akitas are notoriously grouchy to begin with. If you have trouble with him, remember that Cuba will be even bigger than him, and probably stronger. He was bred to hunt bears, afterall! Make sure he gets lots of positive interactions with other dogs while you work with your new friend.

Be careful, because this behavior can extend to other aspects of life as well. Toys, water, furniture, etc. Keep an eye on him to protect your other furry friends.

Mainly, though, have patience. It's an adjustment for everyone, but it has been done. You can do it, too!

Last edited by Rumflower on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to add some clarity to one of my statements.)
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 4:48 pm

Martin, stop, take a deep breath and relax - you haven't screwed up, you've done a good thing but like all good things, it's biting you in the behind at the moment.

You've definitely hit part of it on the head - any dog that's been rehomed three times in less than two years is going to have some issues - it just comes with the turf.  It will get better - though I'd be very concerned with the cats.  At 22 months he's already "made his mind up" about cats and changing that may be near on impossible - make sure that they have someplace (several places) that they can get to quickly, at least for the time being.

Food aggression in a rehomed dog is almost a given ... even if he was excellent in the place he's coming from, this is new people, new place and new dog - it's going to take him (and Cuba) time to adjust.  I'd almost be willing to guarantee that they will adjust but you need to relax, accept that what's happened is all too normal and learn from it.  You've gotten some excellent advice so far on how to handle that so I won't reiterate that.  I just wanted to take a few lines and assure you that you really haven't done anything wrong - at least not irreparably.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Idle
Newborn
Newborn
Idle

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 6:29 pm

Thank you so much guys, at the moment, I've had to readjust the whole sleeping arrangments, to ensure the safety of the other animals, He hasn't gone for a cat yet, but neither has he been close enough to go for one really,

His food bowl and water is in my room, He will be set to 50g of food (Eden) in the morning at 50g of food in the evening, and will strikely get no more unless we are very busy (Unless i can see he needs it),  and then it will be placed within a kong for him.

He will be sleeping in a confidend place, locked in my bedroom unfortunately, this is to secure the safety of Cuba and or two kittens, as we don't wish to lose any of them, and will be introduced slowly to Cuba and the cats, with both me and another person stood holding them, and watching them very closely.

He will be getting atleast a hour and half walk a day, possibly more if i have the time, and will be walked alongside Cuba when another person is available to help them bond.I hope what I am doing will help sort the situation and hopefully over time bring them together, alongside the cats as a big healthy loving family. If any of this you disagree with please let me know so I can sort it as best as I can, Thank you,

One thing I will say is I love how well he is behaved in terms of telling him to go to bed, He goes straight to his bed and lays or sits their, (Occasioanly moves out after a very small time) which shows me he is not completly untrained, he also sits when you have a treat available for him, and is very nice to people, just a bit jumpy/energtic and playful and wanting to give kisses to the point his claws can hurt your hands / body.
Back to top Go down
Idle
Newborn
Newborn
Idle

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 7:21 pm

After checking the ladies facebook page I have found that the reason she was selling is due to pulling on the lead, and that " It's after sheep and cows across road and dnt like dogs shit myself" which tells me that Miko, Doesn't get on well with other dogs, I hope he isn't too late too sort, especailly my cats! We will keep working on him and hopefully he will be happy here with Cuba, Destiny and Pebbles.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Your plan sounds good. The only modification I would suggest is when having Cuba and Miko meet again, I would take Cuba outside, on leash, away from the house, you take Miko outside, away from the house in the opposite direction and arrange to meet somewhere neutral - maybe the first time, walk by facing each other, but on opposite sides of the road or opposite sidewalks. IF they appear to want to meet each other, than, maybe on the same side of the street - walk towards each other but far enough apart that the dogs cannot touch AND KEEP ON GOING. Don't stop for sniffing yet. IF they are really curious and want to meet, turn around and walk towards each other again...use your judgement as to when to allow a sniff and greet. If there is tension, then I would not do the sniff and greet just yet but keep going in opposite directions and end the encounter for the day/hour.

Other posters here have given you some excellent advice and you seem to have a handle on this, too. I would not be overly concerned about the facebook page unless it is a legitimate rescue organization.

Ooops walnuts burning
Back to top Go down
Idle
Newborn
Newborn
Idle

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyWed Sep 30, 2015 5:06 am

Miko has had his food in my bedroom today, he was good and slept all night, no problems, However, On his walk this morning he barked rather aggresively at a young male child, around 12 years old, and also at another male around 46 years old for no reason... All i can think of is he has unfortunately been beaten in the past, My mum and her boyfriend have stated I can't keep him, they feel he is unsafe, and a danger to us, others, and our pets Sad

Its a real shame, We are going to look after him until the original owner who is quite shocked he has attacked Cuba is able to collect (Not the person who sold him to us after a day), in failing to do so, We are going to find him a very loving home, in which someone has time for him, and no other pets or children, and can bring him out of his bad habits Sad

I am really disappointed and feel we have failed him, but it is for the safety of our pets that we made the decision Sad
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! EmptyWed Sep 30, 2015 9:34 am

You live under their roof, so you have to play by their rules - it's been a long time since I've been there but I understand that dictum. It's really too bad for Miko but I do understand their position. When everyone around him is uncertain and there are so many opportunities to have his attention diverted from the training it appears he needs then it's not a good spot for him - regrettably.

Martin, as often as Miko has been moved from home to home, it's going to take someone who has that "special something" (the ability to form a good strong bond) to keep this boy. Good luck to you and the original owner in finding him that home.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! I have screwed up BADLY!   Help! I have screwed up BADLY! Empty

Back to top Go down

Help! I have screwed up BADLY!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-