It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy's trip home?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cupcaketwig
Newborn
Newborn
cupcaketwig

Female Join date : 2011-01-18

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:45 am

So the husband and I will be driving about 8hrs round trip to get our baby on Saturday the 12th. I already have most all the home supplies except maybe a few which random things Ill get this week. Im wondering what everybody suggests on keeping him comfortable and calm on the 4 hour ish trip trip home. He will be a little over 6 weeks old when we get him. All suggestions are welcome.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 5:43 am

um.... why in the world is the breeder letting you bring your puppy home at 6 weeks! Shocked Red flag right there! You never want to bring a puppy home until it's at least 7 weeks, preferably 8 weeks. During weeks 6-8 they learn bite inhibition from their litter mates, without it you will have one mouthy puppy and it will most likely not outgrow it.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:55 am

I Got Icon @ 7 Wks And She did Jus Fine... I But Yes They Shouldnt go b4 7 wks @ Earliest ~ Congrats On ur Puppy Any Pixx Yet ? Color ?~
On Way Home u Will be Surprised They Will Just Curl up On You N Fall asleep . Puppys Sleep Alot .. Id Bring Icon Home .. She Would bounce in Grass for 10 Min Id turn around n she was sleepin Jus Like That ?!~ hahah It Was funny ~
Back to top Go down
cupcaketwig
Newborn
Newborn
cupcaketwig

Female Join date : 2011-01-18

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 12:57 pm

When we get him he will be like a day or two over 7weeks old or maybe one day before he is 7 weeks. I just said a little over 6 weeks because he wont be 6 weeks but he wont be 8 weeks. I know he will be fine.
He is grey with a little white patch on his back. Its so cute.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:19 pm

He should settle and sleep most of the car trip home. Nervous dogs may prefer to ride in a crate where they feel safer, but that depends on the dog as others might freak out and get stressed in a crate on the way home. The breeder will know your pup best and would be able to offer the best advice on what would be the best arrangement for driving the pup home. I'd definitely take at least one potty break on the way home, especially if puppy wakes up.

Teenager
Teenager
GonetotheSnowDogs

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 5:44 pm

We got Shelby at 6 weeks old. That bite inhibition is honestly a opinion statistic. We got Shelby as 6 weeks (exactly 6 weeks old), and she has been a wonderful dog. I honestly think she bonded more with us.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/GonetotheSnowDogs
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:48 pm

We got Siku at 6 weeks and Elara at 8. Elara definitely doesn't mouth as much as Siku used to. But other than that, Siku's been great. But I did do puppy class with her and taught bite inhibition with her. So you will want to do that with him. Not just to not bite/mouth, but how to mouth gently, not hard.

Puppy's trip home? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
itstashie
Puppy
Puppy
itstashie

Female Join date : 2011-01-09

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:57 pm

I brought my little husky home last weekend. He was exactly 8 weeks on Sunday. That was about a three hour car ride. In the beginning of the ride Meeko was yipping and howling. After awhile he did finally lay down and nap the rest of the way. Getting him a little toy or something may help. Be warned that your little one may make a mess in the car. My little guy decided the seat would make a nice place to color with yellow. Razz
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 11:30 pm

^ Hence why I recommend bringing a crate. It will keep your car cleaner.

Back to top Go down
Sachi
Newborn
Newborn
Sachi

Female Join date : 2011-02-02

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi Cupcaketwig, My suggestion, Take a towel, Wipes, Chew toy and training pad and if you are going alone a small crate. From My experience at this age they will probably sleep most of the time but they may get car sick so be prepared. I am from South Florida and have driven to Mississippi to get my AB 9 years ago he was about 9 weeks old, I had no problems with him. We stop every few hours to stretch and let him run a bit. I just recently purchase my SIB from North Carolina again another long drive, I think we both got our pups from same breeder, I recognize the pup. husky-ranch? Good Luck. hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 5:07 pm

I got Siku from there too, but I don't like that breeder at all. I consider her to be a BYB at best and possibly a puppy mill cause she breeds so many litters. Long story short, my boyfriend wanted her and drove and got her. Thankfully Siku is great, but I do worry about health issues since she does not test any of her dogs or hip or eye problems. Oh and don't count on the lady to keep in contact with you. Once her pups are sold, that's the last you hear from her. While Elara's breeder e-mails me and messages me on facebook quite often. Sorry for the rant, I just really don't like husky-ranch is all.

Back to top Go down
Sachi
Newborn
Newborn
Sachi

Female Join date : 2011-02-02

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm

SaraB, I wished I would have known about the husky-ranch being BYB, she did say that they do health check, but you don't really know for sure until you've fallen in love with the pup, paid , and drive14 hours one way to get it. Hope my baby turns out healthy. THX
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 5:52 pm

It's fine. I'm sure your pup will be fine. Siku did have worms really bad when I first got her which I was really mad about and the lady didn't help me at all. Had to give her fluids and everything and it ended up costing a lot. I think she does a basic health check on the puppies, but she doesn't do all the testing that a resposible breeder would on the parent's of the pups.

But I totally understand about the whole falling in love with them. I love Siku just as much as Elara. I don't have anything against her dogs, just the way she breeds them and what she fails to do like hip and eye test, showing or working her dogs, etc. She just breeds a ton and I'm pretty sure she just does it for the money and the fun of having cute little puppies running around.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puppy's trip home? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puppy's trip home?   Puppy's trip home? Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy's trip home?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1