It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Best brand of dog food.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

food - Best brand of dog food. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best brand of dog food.   food - Best brand of dog food. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 10:52 am

I would find some foods that are in your budget and then go from there figuring out which is the best quality of those brands. Several of us have used dogfoodadvisor.com to check the star rating on foods we are interested in. Mine get a little TOTW a day along with raw, but anytime you are feeding raw or homecooked anything over 20% of their total daily meals needs to be balanced (80-10-5-5) to include muscle meat, bone for calcium, liver, and other organs such as spleen or kidney. Most often with puppies it is suggested to do a good quality kibble at first only doing a few little meat toppers maybe and then once the pup is a year or more and done growing, make the swap to raw or more raw/homecooked. The balancing as a puppy is crucial and unless you can devote time to researching the proper ratios and making the meals exactly it shouldn't be taken on during the growth stage as you could do more harm than good.

Some good brands of varying prices that many of our members feed are Taste of the Wild, Victor's, Acana, Earthborn, Fromm, Merrick, Pro-Pac. There are others but those are the main brands that I can find in an actual store around here that have a puppy formula. If willing to order online then the door opens for some others.

Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Best brand of dog food.   food - Best brand of dog food. - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm

I would consider 4 Health, if you have a Tractor Supply close by. That way you can feed a quality kibble, and when money is not an issue you can then move up to TOTW, I have found i can transition between both brands without tummy issue, and both brands have a puppy formula, or two. Smile As Jenn mentioned above, I would feed a puppy formula, until the pup is at least 80% of adult weight, then move to adding in stuff. Balance outweighs variety at the critical puppy stage. Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMomma89
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

Female Join date : 2018-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Best brand of dog food.   food - Best brand of dog food. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you Jenn and Renee! Smile I've heard of Taste of the wild and have considered it. They have it also at my local Tractor supply. She will be my only dog so I can get her a good kibble no issue just I wont know what she likes being a baby and I dont wanna spend $30 on a bag and her hate it and not eat. Some brands dont have the smaller bags so it sucks. lol I know huskies can be picky. My previous husky was on Diamond puppy from Tractor supply when I brought her home from breeder and I was told she loved it. I bought a huge bag thinking I was doing a good thing and when I fed it to her at my house she didnt eat it. She went for almost 3 days with no kibble. I tried even adding water or low sodium chicken broth. No luck so i bought Blue Buffalo. She liked that and then I got pregnant with my twins and things changed and we had decided to rehome her to a friend. That was about 3 half years ago. Theres so many foods out there now. I know I want grain free, just choices choices choices and it needs to be puppy formula.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Best brand of dog food.   food - Best brand of dog food. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 am

TOTW has 2 puppy formulas and they carry it in 5 pound bags, so worth a shot, many huskies do well on it.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMomma89
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyMomma89

Female Join date : 2018-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Best brand of dog food.   food - Best brand of dog food. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Thank you Renee! Smile I'm going today to get her a few things so i'll look at some more foods while i'm out. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best brand of dog food.   food - Best brand of dog food. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best brand of dog food.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3