It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Walking a puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:13 am

Okay, I've done this before! I've been a husky owner for 17 of the last 20 years. Now I have a new 3 month old pup who takes walks just as I would expect a walk to go with an untrained husky pup. You all know the "sled dog" pull, I'm sure!

My first husky went to obedience school and we were given a choke collar. After she threw up twice in school and passed out once on a walk, the trainer introduced us to the prong/pinch collar. After training with that she became a decent heeler!

However, my dilemma lies in the fact that I have a baby and we should not use a prong collar when he is this young. Our walks consist of him pulling and gagging and me stopping him to move him back into heel position. Basically using the recommended methods for training heeling. But he is still gulping and gagging while wearing his regular flat nylon collar. I read somewhere on the internet that 48 out of 50 dogs have some kind of neck or trachea damage from constricting collars. I do not want to hurt him, but as you all know, HE HAS TO HAVE EXERCISE!

Any suggestion? What do you know of the Gentle Leader or other head halters? It looks scarier that the prong collar to me.

Thanks for any advice!!
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am

I've personally never used a halti/head collar, so I can't say much about them. There was a thread on here somewhere about them though, and if I remember correctly there were quite a few positive reviews.

Edit, found that thread: *Click*

When Konrad was younger I walked him on a harness so he wouldn't hurt himself (he used to pull like a psycho...). For loose leash walking whenever they pull stop and wait for them to come back towards you, praise them then start walking again (the praise might be unnecessary, the walk itself is a reward to them). I had some problems at first with Konrad but what helped us get started was finding an empty field with few distractions, and practicing there, if I couldn't go more than a step or two in one direction without him pulling I'd turn around and walk the other way, and as soon as he got close to the end of the leash I'd switch directions again. It kind of helped him to pay more attention to me, and without a sidewalk he didn't have a reference for witch way was 'forward' so he didn't really know where we were going.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 12:02 pm

I personally wouldn't be walking until at least 6-8 months old, and even then probably not very far. A young dog of mine would be getting most of its exercise through play. Then there's the mental drain you can do with simple training and NILIF (Nothing In Life is Free). Keep training short and throw in a good round of tug, some light wrestling and repeat every few hours. With any luck he might be slightly tired.

With the walking you should start from scratch since this behavior has already been reinforced out in the world. Begin inside and use an assortment of treat, praise and toy rewards. Maybe a couple of laps around the house a few times a day, then add the outside world in small increments until he's not hauling you to the sidewalk.

I'll let others address the tools and training aspect of it. I use choke chains and regular flat collars. It just sounds like you went too far too soon with the walking bit.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 pm

We used a harness on the pups until they were 6 months old. Then we switched to flat collars. The moment they started pulling I would turn and walk the other direction. We did that as well as held a cookie at our side so it was at their eye level and pretty much baited them into heeling.

Head collars are OK but I wouldn't use one on my dogs. A lot of dogs at work have them and they are constantly scratching their faces trying to get it off. Or they learn to pull with it on.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 12:31 pm

You all have some good points. I am trying to train as you are suggesting using the stop and sit and restart and change directions and all the other training techniques; however, I am going around the block with all the distractions and possible Bordetella infected dogs coming to sniff us. Maybe I should keep the walking to a minimum and to the yard. I do not want him to develop bad habits nor injure himself. He has been taking a morning walk with me since I am less of a wrestler than my two sons and husband are.
I read recently that a harness presses on the chest of a husky where it triggers a pull reflex. I don't think I want to introduce a harness ~ we pull enough already! Wink
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 pm

Putting them in a harness does make it easier for them to pull but when they're so small and so weak it really gives you a lot better control without putting so much pressure on the neck/trachea. That's the reason why we used the harness.

How old is your pup now?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 1:00 pm

I like this method for puppies. If I had a puppy, I think I'd start with this way:

Walking a puppy Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 3:50 pm

I just remembered I saw this product at Petsmart the other day. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.amazon.com/bounce-doge-walk-Bounce-Doge/dp/B004L2GMOQ
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Hmm... never seen it or tried it. Interesting idea though!

Honestly, for a puppy, I wouldn't use any training tools. I think those tools are appropriate for older dogs, but puppies should really be taught from step one at the least intensive training necessary.

Walking a puppy Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 4:28 pm

i think a good training harness for a puppy would be an easy walk harness, just be warned that my boy when he was 6 months figured a way to pull around it. but it worked great when he was younger. so if you use that, and if you feel him yank back a bit and turn the other way, even if you keep walking back and forth, he will eventually understand.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E69VDC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000BHWMY4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1V0X5F357QQXR5F5FBH2
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:59 pm

My puppy is 3 months old. I think I have decided to lay off of the walking around the block for exercise and just play in the yard and wrestle in the house. It really is safer while he's so young. I like this Silky Leash idea. I need to research it more for sure. Tori, do you think the clicking in the Silky training is kind of like the sonic emissions from the Bounce Dog-e Walk? However, a click is positive and the sonic sound is negative and annoying. Hmmmm... I think I like the positive reinforcements better! Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm

As Eddy (and yourself) have said, it really is safer for the puppy to no go on walks around the block until he's about a year old. Short walks when he's older are okay, but long walks on pavement put a lot of stress on his growing bones and joints. Puppies also don't have the inhibition to stop when they are tired, so they will keep going as long as you do and can do serious injury to themselves by doing so. Thus, it's best to exercise a puppy with free play (fetch, running around a yard, etc) and mental stimulation through training.

I think you're exactly right. The silky training is a similar idea as the Bonce Dog-e Walk, but using positive methods instead of negative ones. Silky also trains to heal through pressure on the leash. You want the dog to follow the leash so he always walks slightly behind you. The clicker training added to it is an added bonus for success.

So yes, I would very much advocate Silky over Bounce.

Walking a puppy Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Walking a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking a puppy   Walking a puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking a puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1