It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Problem with Ava's eye

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Catherine
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2009-05-27

Problem with Ava's eye Empty
PostSubject: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 6:30 pm

We had to rush Ava to the Vets on Saturday. I was getting ready to go out with my daughter for a girly day at the seaside and Ava jumped up at me for a cuddle, when I looked at her she looked very strange. The pupil on her right eye was big and black but the one on the left was a tiny pin prick. I wasn't sure what could cause this so I Google'd it. All I kept getting was 'serious condition, seek Vetinary help immediately' that was it, panic set in and we rushed her up to the vet.

They were brilliant - seeing us almost straight away. The vet put some dye into her eye to check if there was any damage to the front of her eye. Fortunately there wasn't. Examination revealed that her eye was slightly swollen but the vet was almost sure that she had probably had a bump to her head (it more than likely happened when she was playing with Dino - you all know how huskies are with their rough play!!) and this is what had caused her eye to 'go into spasm'. She had an anti-inflammatory injection and we were given eye drops to administer 3 times a day. During our consultation with the vet Ava's pupil had started to get bigger again although it was still smaller than the other one and wasn't reacting properly to light stimulation. The vet told us that if her pupil hadn't gone back to normal by that afternoon we were to take her to the emergency vets that afternoon so they could refer her onto a vetinary ophthalmologist. (Thank god she is insured!)

Well fortunately by the end of the afternoon her eye seemed a normal size again. We continued with the drops and I took her back today. She has been checked over again and the vet said she thinks it was a condition called Uveitis caused by blunt trauma. She has given her the all clear now which is such a relief. Very Happy

Has anyone else every come across this? I thought I would share as it is always useful to hear of others experiences and know what to do in a crisis. Wink
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks for the info and sorry Ava "hit her head" Was she acting like anything was wrong or was her eye just messed up?I think I would freak if one of ours had crazy eye! When we got Jack he was getting crazy eye boogies all green and yellow goopy things and when we took them to the vet to have a general check up done we asked about it and was told he had eye allergies and they gave us some eye drops to use "ya that was fun trying to pin him down and open his eye to put drops in!" any way it cleared up in a week and has not come back so we were glade we asked about it.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Oh wow! I'm glad Ava's alright!

Thanks for sharing Cath... especially with huskies, that could totally be useful information someday Smile

Problem with Ava's eye Hailey10
Back to top Go down
The Dentist
Teenager
Teenager
The Dentist

Female Join date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Sorry to hear that Ava had a mishap this past weekend! I'm glad to hear that she's ok and able to keep her beautiful blue eyes!

Problem with Ava's eye 768634
Back to top Go down
Ruger
Releaser Pheromone
Ruger

Male Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 12:57 am

Dang glad shes alright
Back to top Go down
Catherine
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:09 am

Thanks guys Laughing

LOL Jen, no Ava wasn't acting any more crazy than normal before it happened (its always difficult to tell with Husky pups as they are normally crazy anyway hehe) and yes she hates having the drops in her eyes - we have to hide the bottle, if she sees it she runs and hides!
Back to top Go down
Jen
Puppy
Puppy
Jen

Female Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 6:21 am

Glad to hear that Ava is alright, I always yell at the dogs when they wrestle on the cement, I am so worried about something happening like that, the way Sirmiq bumps Kiwi's head on the ground. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 8:35 am

Aww cath , im so glad she is ok.
How is her eye today ?
I tell ya these dogs are sent to test us lol ...the way mine fight im suprised there hasnt been a serious injury ..especially now seeing how easy it can be done.
I bet she never even yelped when she did bang her head so it would have come as a super shock seeing her like that.
10 years older me thinks lol
keep me updated on my baby girl xx
Back to top Go down
Catherine
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 9:29 am

OMG Linzi I aged 10 years in 10 minutes - I honestly don't think I could have be more worried if it had been one of my kids and they have scared me a few times as well. I was more worried telling you though, you trusted me with one of Storm's precious little babies but thankfully you know what a crazy little pup she can be. As it was a Saturday morning we were all at home and none of us heard her yelp so we can't be certain how it happened. She is absolutely fine now and apart from getting me up at 3.15am this morning for a wee and a drink (it was very hot here last night so she is forgiven) she is completely back to her usual self. Very Happy

On a separate note Linzi you need to post pics of your pack on this forum - there are some peeps on here who have yet to see the gorgeousness of all your pups - including Storm and Rebel who are Ava's parents Wink
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 10:41 am

Catherine wrote:
On a separate note Linzi you need to post pics of your pack on this forum - there are some peeps on here who have yet to see the gorgeousness of all your pups - including Storm and Rebel who are Ava's parents Wink
Very much agreed! Smile

Problem with Ava's eye Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Ruger
Releaser Pheromone
Ruger

Male Join date : 2009-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Yes...lets see them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Ok i will post some pics soon i promise
Cath , there is no one on this earth i would have trusted with AVA more than you.
I knew the second i met you that you would love my baby girl as much as i do .
Im just glad she is ok and no real harm was done.
Im gonna come and see you all as soon as my kitchen is finished Wink
Back to top Go down
Catherine
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 4:53 pm

justme wrote:
Im gonna come and see you all as soon as my kitchen is finished Wink

I will keep you to that - its here in black and white and i have witnesses lol!
Back to top Go down
austinville
Newborn
Newborn
austinville

Female Join date : 2009-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 2:15 pm

We had a smilar situation with my daughter's lhasa apso. Sounds like they were treated in a similar manner as well.

I'm curious to know if the whites of your husky's eyes were red. And was it only one eye?

Our vet indicated that if it occurred to both eyes, this could be a problem of the dog pulling on the leash. (Which would decrease blood flow to the head, then when the dog stops pulling, the blood rushes in too quickly and bursts the vessels.) With one eye, it indicates a blunt force trauma to the head.

Daphnie also was very fortunate to get her sight back after this incident. So happy yours is doing ok too.
Back to top Go down
NeroHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 11:55 am

Hi all, my Husky (Nero) has this pinky/reddish colour around both his eyes. I just noticed it recently. I was looking into a forum, and the answer I got that it is a pigment issue, and it's not dangerous. But they didnt give me anything more than that.

Nero is 4 month old. He is as agile and active as always. Do you think something wrong?

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:00 pm

Kody has pink around his eyes too and so does Mya. I'm guessing it's normal since they both have always had it. Mya is 5yrs old and Kody is 7months.
Back to top Go down
NeroHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks Melissal.

I am just worried because recently Nero has a lot of digging and swimming. I am afraid some water or dirt may have infected his eyes.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 1:04 pm

you want to check with your vet if that's the case Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyThu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 pm

If this pink was not there before and recently popped up I would definitely have a vet look him over just to be safe. Besides the redness, are his eyes watering any more than usual? He could have conjunctivitis which is easily treated with antibiotic eye drops. We had this problem with Glory when we adopted her, vet gave us some Neo-Poly-Dex drops to put in her eyes twice a day for 5 days and it cleared her right up.

Puppy
Puppy
Mikko'sMum

Female Join date : 2011-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:43 am

Catherine.....THANK YOU for posting this.
Tonight the EXACT same thing happened to Mikko. We were just finishing up watching a movie and Matt was keeping the pup occupied while I went to grab a sweater to take him out for a walk. Then he goes: Oh my god, you've gotta see this.
Of course I freaked...but it was the weirdest thing, his right pupil was almost non-existent. Meanwhile he was his usual self, hyper and niping and urging us to play.
We called the emergency clinic because our usual vet's clinic was closed by this time. They told us it was serious and we should come in...so I start freaking thinking he's got a head injury of some sort (I'm a nurse) and we get our stuff together and then look at him and his pupil was getting bigger! It went back to normal...so weird. So then we really didn't know what to do...Because it was going to be 200$ just for the exam but we thought maybe this is some fluke thing.
I called my friend who is a vet tech and she said as long as he hasn't gotten into anything and is acting normal he should be fine.
I googled everything as well but couldn't find anything that I would call reliable...and as a last resort I checked the forum and to my surprise someone else had experienced this.
Reading your story, he probably hit his head...he does it every 10 minutes as he gets up from under the coffee table or couch...but doesn't realize he's getting too big to fit under there.
So...we decided not to bring him in because his eye only stayed like that for about 10 minutes or so and is back to normal. We will take him to his usual vet tomorrow morning and hopefully all is well...

How is Ava's eyesight now? Did this ever happen again?
I am keeping a close eye on him and will stay up late, then Matt will check on him when he wakes up at 4am for work (yuck).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem with Ava's eye   Problem with Ava's eye Empty

Back to top Go down

Problem with Ava's eye

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1