It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky puppy food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gra74
Newborn
Newborn

Puppy - Husky puppy food Empty
PostSubject: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 3:02 pm

So I am having real problems with finding a food my siberian pup takes to. (10 weeks old). The breeder had her on awful food and my vet advised that I quickly transition given she had loose poo. I researched a lot and picked Orijens s puppy food but if anything g it made her poo more and it was worse. I have had her on chicken and rice for a week now but the second I introduce a tiny bit of Orijens back (10% of her meal) it affects her poo again.

Any help greatly received!!!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Some high protein foods are too rich for puppies. And Acana and Orijen tend to be too high, and they do not offer something less. I do recommend a grain free, somewhere around 23-28% protein, 15-18% fat and 4-6% fiber....Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Gra74
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. Do you have a name that fits the bill?
Back to top Go down
Gra74
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 4:09 pm

Thanks for the advice. Do you have a name that fits the bill?
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Hahahahahaha....well you can look into Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Earthborn, Diamond, to name a few. I do use Taste of the Wild and a few other do as well, if you do I would try their pacific stream puppy, that one fits the parameters, their other puppy was too much protein for my girl.
Back to top Go down
Gra74
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu Apr 28, 2016 5:15 pm

Fantastic MiyasMomma thanks.... there is nothing worse than finding out "it's too much" for my pup at 2am!!!

Really appreciate your advice!
Back to top Go down
Loki_Weston
Puppy
Puppy
Loki_Weston

Male Join date : 2016-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyWed May 04, 2016 9:10 pm

I am feeding my Husky puppy TOTW High Prairie Puppy and he is doing excellent on it. He loves this food and his stools are almost always great. The odd loose stool is usually coupled with family giving him treats that don't agree with him. We learned this lesson and bring our own treats so that people can give him treats but only ones we know he likes.
Back to top Go down
Gra74
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu May 05, 2016 4:25 am

Thanks. I moved her own to chicken and rice for a week and slowly introduced TOTW Pacific Stream until last night we were at 50/50 mix and all was great. Woke up this morning though and she had been sick everywhere (bless her)

She did have a sweet potato chew yesterday which might have chased the issue but I am gutted I cannot give her healthy Treats of any kind.

Does anyone know of a treat that is not going to cause one of two potential issues?
Back to top Go down
Sarah20
Puppy
Puppy
Sarah20

Female Join date : 2015-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu May 05, 2016 12:59 pm

I feed my 8.5 month old Acana puppy and junior. He loves it.. protein content is 33%, fat 20% fiber 5% and calcium 1.5% per 1 cup kibble. He gets 2 cups a day and never had loose stools... Orijen has a much higher protein content because the food is made for super active dogs for sporting etc.. I hear TOTW and FROMM is great too...
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu May 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Gra.....as far as treats....both of mine were ultra sensitive to most treats. If what you are giving has any chicken in them, it may be the problem, your pup may not agree with chicken in treats and kibble. if you need training treats I would hold back an 1/8 of a cup that you would normally feed and use kibble for training, and as far as treats, I would look for a cow ear, they last long and are not greasy, and my girls have never had a hard time processing them, another item is either moose or elk split antlers, look for split easier on their teeth and moose or elk only they are softer, those are my best suggestions as far as long lasting treats that wont upset tummy. Chewy.com is a great place to get both. Once pup is closer to 6 months tummy should settle down some, and then you can try introducing other treats.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu May 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Since you are dealing with tummy troubles to begin with, I would stop the use of any and all treats. Wait until your pup is consistently doing well on whatever food agrees with her before you start introducing treats of any kind. If you want to "treat" her for training purposes/rewarding desirable behavior, then use a piece of kibble instead of a treat.

Think of this period as sort of an elimination diet to see what does and doesn't agree with her. The less factors in play the easier it is to pinpoint what the issue is. Now I presume you have had her vet checked and eliminated the possibility that her stomach issues could be due to any other factor besides food.

Later, once you have her stomach issues under control, then you can introduce treats back into the equation. And when you do start introducing treats (one at a time!) I strongly suggest starting with single ingredient treats (not made or sourced in China) and in small amounts. You can work up to larger amounts and eventually multiple different treats when you know each new item agrees with her.

Best of luck to you and your pup! Hope you get this whole thing resolved soon.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food EmptyThu May 05, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your help. Luska has been sick twice today which is a concern. There are leaf parts in the vomit so she is eating things from our garden. We have quite a big space and she loves to run around so I don't want to restrict her but might have to if she is eating plants. She is back on chicken and rice for a few days as we have gone backwards again which I am gutted about but I am sure we will get there. Still only getting close to 12 weeks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky puppy food   Puppy - Husky puppy food Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky puppy food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1