It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Flea and tick cautions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HobbesTheHuskey
Newborn
Newborn
HobbesTheHuskey

Male Join date : 2016-06-22

Flea and tick cautions  Empty
PostSubject: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 1:36 am

I take Hobbes with me disc golfing and I was wondering if anyone had a preference between just using a shampoo or treatment or both? The park I go to on a regular basis has a bit of a rep for ticks. My vet said I would be fine with just a treatment, and no shampoo, but I was thinking both would be better...
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 12:55 pm

I use a permethrin spot on for ticks (we have enormous tick pressure here and we are lyme endemic as well as babesiosis and others). For permethrin only, Freedom 45 from Tractor Supply, for permethrin with an Insect Growth Regulator to prevent flea larvae from developing, I use Vetguard Plus (which also has d-Limonene which smells wonderfully and some believe has insect repellent properties. Research is inconsistent on the latter.) Permethrin has only short (less then 3 weeks) action against adult fleas so I use fipronil once every 3 months.

My problem with the shampoos is they are after the fact, don't know if the have residual ongoing protection. And I believe it is better for their coat and skin if dogs are not shampoo'd very often (others will most certainly disagree with me lol! )
Back to top Go down
HobbesTheHuskey
Newborn
Newborn
HobbesTheHuskey

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyFri Jun 24, 2016 11:39 pm

Thanks for the input!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptySun Jun 26, 2016 12:59 pm

You are better off with a preventative rather than a bathing treatment after the fact. If you want to protect from disease then you want ticks to not want or have a chance to spend any time on your dog. I use fiproguard and recently went hiking in Kentucky and didn't get a single flea or tick. With bathing also you have to remember that if you use a topical application before you have to wait before bathing or you will wash the topical off.

Newborn
Newborn
HobbesTheHuskey

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptySun Jun 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Thank you very much!
Back to top Go down
gwendah
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2016-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 4:30 pm

I have been using Bravecto for Mochi since she was a puppy. I've never had any issues with any fleas or ticks on her.
I've heard some people say they had issues with Bravecto, but I never have so I guess just like for people, dogs react differently to medications. The pill is apparently pretty yummy because Mochi eats it like it's a treat. It lasts for 3 months. I have no plans of changing her medication since I haven't ever even seen a flea on her.
Back to top Go down
AryaGirl
Puppy
Puppy
AryaGirl

Female Join date : 2016-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyWed Aug 03, 2016 5:45 pm

gwendah wrote:
I have been using Bravecto for Mochi since she was a puppy. I've never had any issues with any fleas or ticks on her.
I've heard some people say they had issues with Bravecto, but I never have so I guess just like for people, dogs react differently to medications. The pill is apparently pretty yummy because Mochi eats it like it's a treat. It lasts for 3 months. I have no plans of changing her medication since I haven't ever even seen a flea on her.

Same, it works great for my girl. She has never had an issue.
Back to top Go down
Lycan1
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 6:29 pm

No sure where you live but you can get Braveco which is a spot on it lasts 3 month. I live in the country in the UK. I got fed up of removing ticks used Braveco no more ticks.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 8:27 pm

Here in the states, Bravecto a chew that the dog eats.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyThu Aug 02, 2018 11:55 am

Our vet prescribed "NexGard" - he eats one on the first of every month.
No ticks/fleas and no side effect that I have noticed?

( Fairly expensive though...I dropped one down the sink and was cursing, there's $20 down the drain! )
Back to top Go down
bellanova
Newborn
Newborn
bellanova

Female Join date : 2017-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 9:59 am

We live in Maine where ticks are everywhere, and use the Seresto collar. We've been using for about a year now and haven't found a single tick on our pup! It seems to repel them quite well.
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyMon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 am

@bellanova
We were just in Southwest Harbor this month! We had blueberry icecream cones at the cafe (I can't remember it's name) and strolled around town. We also biked, hiked and kayaked in Acadia. Maine in the summer is like heaven...
Back to top Go down
Huskyfollower
Newborn
Newborn
Huskyfollower

Female Join date : 2019-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2019 12:26 am

I know I'm chiming in late, but I never recommend mixing treatments without first consulting a vet. That is how ticks, fleas, and other pest/parasitic creatures develope resistance to the medicines faster!
Back to top Go down
DYaugo
Newborn
Newborn
DYaugo

Male Join date : 2016-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  EmptyFri May 17, 2019 9:44 pm

I use Advantix II Flea and Tick - You really should avoid over bathing your husky because it will dry out their skin. 2x a year is about all the bathing and grooming I do with my husky and she is fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flea and tick cautions    Flea and tick cautions  Empty

Back to top Go down

Flea and tick cautions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1