It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Spraying/Neutering of female husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MTroelsen
Newborn
Newborn

Spraying/Neutering of female husky Empty
PostSubject: Spraying/Neutering of female husky   Spraying/Neutering of female husky EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 11:36 am

(Quick note, i'm from Denmark so i might not use the correct terms) Hello, i have a female husky at 1½ years who has been in heat twice. The problem is that she has a hormone disorder of some kind, that makes her smell a bit like she's in heat all the time. This is an issue as she is a very social dog and likes to go to dog parks and the like, but it is difficult with all the attention she gets. The kennel i bought her from said that if i sprayed her, she might get a much denser undercoa and the summers in Denmark can get to over 90 degrees farenheit, so that would be a major problem for her. I wanted to know if anyone here have had such a reaction on their fur after they sprayed/neutered their husky.

Kind Regards

Mikkel
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Spraying/Neutering of female husky   Spraying/Neutering of female husky EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Mikkel, welcome to our forum and your English is very good, don't worry, if we're not sure we understand something you say we'll ask for clarification.

And I had to go looking, your temperatures are *much* more temperate than I'd have though given how far north the country is - learn something new everyday!  On that note, I live in the US desert southwest where summer high temperatures are regularly in the the 90's and into the 100's - and I have two Sibes and an Alaskan Husky.  The only thing I've noticed is that they tend to 'chill' (relax) a lot more when it gets hotter.  

However, I won't address the issue of a thicker undercoat after spaying, that hasn't been an issue with my two females - and, like the insulation in your house, the thicker coat helps them regulate their body temperature when it's hot, as well as when it's cold.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .

Last edited by aljones on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Spraying/Neutering of female husky   Spraying/Neutering of female husky EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Spaying your husky shouldn't affect her coat. I would get her spayed as soon as I could so she can maybe start having normal interactions with dogs. Don't worry about her coat. It gets really hot here, many of us have huskies and we live where it can get well over 100 degrees F and nearly all our dogs are spayed or neutered. They do just fine. You have nothing to worry about.

Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Spraying/Neutering of female husky   Spraying/Neutering of female husky EmptyWed Dec 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Coat changes in de-sexed animals is not uncommon....but I would say the current issues she deals with outweigh a change in the coat and that getting her spayed would be a benefit to her overall wellbeing. You just may need to be more proactive in grooming.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Spraying/Neutering of female husky   Spraying/Neutering of female husky EmptySat Dec 17, 2016 6:36 pm

i don't think it will affect their coat to much, i live where its 90 - 105 degrees F in the summer. and the only thing i have notice is he sleeps more and is more active when its cooler outside. and some minimal shedding during the summer after all the under coat has come out.
Back to top Go down
MTroelsen
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Spraying/Neutering of female husky   Spraying/Neutering of female husky EmptyFri Jan 06, 2017 6:34 am

Thank you all so much for the feedback, I will get her neutered asap. Yes Denmark is more temperate than other countries on the same latitude because we have the golf stream so close by. At the moment we have 9 degrees fahrenheit, so it's rough being a husky owner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spraying/Neutering of female husky   Spraying/Neutering of female husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Spraying/Neutering of female husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1