A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Sierra and Jen B!, our December HOTM winners! HOTM - January : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Sierra and Jen B,
our December HOTM Winners!
Winter Fun!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Texas Sled Dog Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kayleighh
Newborn
Newborn


Female Join date : 2017-05-20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi folks!

ANY thoughts are super appreciated. We rescued a supposedly-9 week old Husky about a week ago, so she'd be around 10 weeks according to them. I have reason to not really believe them but as she's in my care now I'm not too worried about their origins or whatever.

I'm more worried about trying to figure out how old everyone might think she is?

From floor to the top of her back, her height is roughly (very roughly, as she won't stay still) around 17-20inches from the floor. Her tail has a curl in it and she's got really, really long legs.

This is my first husky personally (but my sister has had them so I've been exposed to adult ones).

I know it would be a guess but any ideas? Sad

Thanks for any help. Smile



Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
avatar

Male Join date : 2014-07-23
Location : San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Hard to say, she looks younger in her first pic than her second pic, haha. From the second pic, I'd say she's a bit older than 10 weeks but all I can do is show you my boy Kohdi at 10 weeks and at 12 weeks and see if you can judge better from that. To me, the second pic of yours, I'd put her at atleast 12 weeks..unless it gets re-arranged, first pic should be Kohdi at around 10 weeks and second is for sure 12 weeks. He looks big in the second pic but in reality he was still very small, but like your girl, has started looking in the face a bit more mature. I'm only guessing though, she could very well be 10 weeks!

.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
avatar

Male Join date : 2014-07-23
Location : San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Here is another pic at 12 weeks so u can see his long legs, but still how small he is. I'm basing most of my guess on your girls facial markings in the second pic. You can kinda see in Kohdi's 10 week old pic that they're really not as defined as they are getting in his 12 week old pic. To me, your girls markings in the second pic, and more defined

Back to top Go down
kayleighh
Newborn
Newborn


Female Join date : 2017-05-20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 4:19 pm

@Artic_Wind wrote:
Here is another pic at 12 weeks so u can see his long legs, but still how small he is. I'm basing most of my guess on your girls facial markings in the second pic. You can kinda see in Kohdi's 10 week old pic that they're really not as defined as they are getting in his 12 week old pic. To me, your girls markings in the second pic, and more defined


The first picture was when she was almost a week younger, so that would make sense.  She has much more pronounced facial markings and has grown more, her tail has curled more, etc.  I was putting her way closer to 3 months than 2, which is what I felt like they were leading us to believe.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
avatar

Male Join date : 2014-07-23
Location : San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 4:27 pm

3 months would be 12 weeks which, to me, looks about right. I just don't get why they'd lie about it, but it happens . She is a pretty little girl Smile
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
avatar

Male Join date : 2014-07-23
Location : San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 4:34 pm

By the way, it gets pretty slow in here on weekends so you might not hear other opinions right away
Back to top Go down
Marco Berck
Puppy
Puppy
avatar

Male Join date : 2017-04-14
Location : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 4:44 pm

When i look at the second picture, i think 12 weeks sounds about right as well, definitely not 2 months though. Now the first picture she looks younger. Don't know if you can make a picture of her more at ground level while she is standing, would make it easier to see. She looks lovely and healthy though Smile
Back to top Go down
kayleighh
Newborn
Newborn


Female Join date : 2017-05-20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 4:56 pm

@Artic_Wind wrote:
3 months would be 12 weeks which, to me, looks about right. I just don't get why they'd lie about it, but it happens . She is a pretty little girl Smile

Thank you! Smile I thought closer to 3 months. They said around 2 months but I don't know how old the ad for a rehome for her is or whatever and they were very much a "Here she is, give me my money to rehome her, get lost." which was sort of disconcerting. I'm not sure if they received her in suspicious circumstances or whatever, which I've looked into my province for, but I've seen nothing. It's just a feeling I have or a feeling that they were given the dog and didn't really look after her (as evident by how stinky, filthy fur and the gum that was stuck and had to be shaved/cut out :/).

I did try to contact them for an exact date of birth or knowing anything else about her and have heard nothing in over a week.
Back to top Go down
kayleighh
Newborn
Newborn


Female Join date : 2017-05-20
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 4:58 pm

@Marco Berck wrote:
When i look at the second picture, i think 12 weeks sounds about right as well, definitely not 2 months though. Now the first picture she looks younger. Don't know if you can make a picture of her more at ground level while she is standing, would make it easier to see. She looks lovely and healthy though Smile

She was about a week younger in that photo but I was trying to show progression in a week to see if there was anything to detect from there haha.

And thanks. Smile We've worked hard on her. You could feel her ribs a week ago and had to cut gum and get mud out of her with 3-4 baths so we're trying.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
avatar

Male Join date : 2014-07-23
Location : San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Sat May 20, 2017 11:17 pm

@kayleighh wrote:

@Artic_Wind wrote:
3 months would be 12 weeks which, to me, looks about right. I just don't get why they'd lie about it, but it happens . She is a pretty little girl Smile


Thank you! Smile  I thought closer to 3 months.  They said around 2 months but I don't know how old the ad for a rehome for her is or whatever and they were very much a "Here she is, give me my money to rehome her, get lost." which was sort of disconcerting.  I'm not sure if they received her in suspicious circumstances or whatever, which I've looked into my province for, but I've seen nothing.  It's just a feeling I have or a feeling that they were given the dog and didn't really look after her (as evident by how stinky, filthy fur and the gum that was stuck and had to be shaved/cut out :/).

I did try to contact them for an exact date of birth or knowing anything else about her and have heard nothing in over a week.

It's unfortunate, but...you have her now and she will have a much better life. I'm glad you were able to rescue her Smile

Later, I'll go on my laptop and look at my little girls puppy pics (Kohdi's were handy since I had them on my iPad) cuz I remember there was a point where her markings and face seemed to change overnight, I tend to upload my pics the day I take them so I'll be able to tell by date how old she was at different points. Her facial markings are very similar to your little girl, too.
Back to top Go down
GlitzyPandora38
Newborn
Newborn
avatar

Female Join date : 2017-04-12
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 am

Whenever she gets her next booster shots just ask the vet. They can look at her teeth and give you a pretty good estimation of her age.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?   

Back to top Go down
 

Rescued Dog, not sure how old she is?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» New owner of rescued staffy puppy :D
» My Up to date story of Rescued 10 yr old Staffy.....Beau xx
» Rescued Giraffe
» Mufasa, the adorable red/white rescued husky coming to CO soon!
» Gracie 14 week Bearded Collie X fostered by Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-