It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Does Everyone crate their Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Aw, he just wants to be with people!

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 pm

You've got some good neighbors Wink

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 12:11 am

Way to go neighbors! That's too funny! Hope they never move!

Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 10:38 am

That's great and all but what if he jumps any of the othe parts of the fence where he can get out for good? Why not make it safer for him to have the good neighbors come check on him and maybe take him for a walk, or hang with him in your yard? I don't think its safe it let him think he can hope the fence. How high is it?

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Yeah, I don't know if I would encourage jumping the fence.. you never know if he may want to explore more one day.
Back to top Go down
hmhershey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 1:51 pm

The first week when we had Akira she slept on the bed with us. She would cry when she needed to go out and that was convenient for us. The first two nights we tried the crate but she would poop everwhere, regardless of how many times we took her out. I think it might have been anxiety from the shipping process. After the first two weeks she had learned to jump off the bed and we didn't trust what she was doing, but at about the same time, she voluntarily would go into her crate. About ten every night she is in her crate sleeping. We make sure the door is closed before we go to bed and there hasn't been any accidents since. She is also crated when we leave. Although we have a dog run that is secure, she is so small that we aren't sure if she can fit through anywhere.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Maybe you could put a gate between your yard and your neighbor's and make the rest of the fence harder to jump somehow.

Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
tritonsmom
Newborn
Newborn
tritonsmom

Female Join date : 2011-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Sorry! I've been MIA! June was such a busy month for me.

Anyways, I live in a town home so if he were to jump another fence, it would be into my other's neighbor's yard. But that fence is extremely high(8 ft.?). The one that I let him jump over is about 5 feet (it used to be taller but the criss cross fence thing fell off). I have a planter along this fence, and I stacked some brick squares to help the height. Our neighbor has stacked something on their side to help him also. We also put padding on top of the fence to prevent any injuries. He shows no interest in other fence, nor at any other fences when we take him to friend's backyards or dog parks.

As of now, he doesn't jump over as much anymore according to my neighbors. They say he just stands and peaks over with a big smile and that's it.

Since Triton jumps over to just watch through their sliding door (his form of people watching) or to sunbathe, or to just peak over and smile, I find no reason to ask them to come over to watch him or to bring him over there. They have offered to watch him if I do need him watched for a long period of time. I have yet to taken their offer.

Thanks for the concerns! I had the same concerns also. I talked to my neighbors (they used to have a husky themselves, are petlovers and humane society volunteers), Triton's trainer and my vet already.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Sorry to bring back an older post, bt all this talk about huskies detroying houses have me scared! Mine is a year and a half old, and while i have not had him that long, he has yet to completly destroy anything. The worse being when he heard us outside and jumped up on the window and bent the blinds. He is alone loose in the house most of the day, but he has yet to tear anything up. After the first blind incedent, we leave them pulled up so that if he jumps again, he will not completly tear them up. He occasionally drags a peice of tiolet paper out of the bathroom trash can, but other than that, he has only chewed his toys. After reading this, I called his previous owner and asked if he ever tore anything up. He informed me that the worste thing he had done to the house was leave a poop stain on the carpet from eating too much pizza and chocolate chip cookies the night before. Should I be worried that he is just fooling me, or could he be the rare that doesnt conform?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 8:45 pm

I don't think u can ever be safe, even if they are the best a husky can have an off day. Please husky proof your home. Not only can he reck things u care about he could eat something that could kill him. Its also always a good idea to have a crate around, and have him trained to use it

Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 pm

We have put up everything electrical, or anything important. The only thing left for him to chew really is the couch cushions. I will definatly look into getting a crate for him. I do not want him to make his self sick from swalowing something he should not eat. I noticed the evil look earlier when i let him out in the back yard. He kept going around the fence and looking back to see if I was watching. Sneaky little booger he is.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Not all are bad like that. Cheyenne was super bad when she was younger and egged Mickey on into it. But lately (past 6-8 months or so) there's been no issue. Odin is the only one crated but that's due to a leg lifting disorder. lol

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 10:41 pm

i<3neo wrote:
Sorry to bring back an older post, bt all this talk about huskies detroying houses have me scared! Mine is a year and a half old, and while i have not had him that long, he has yet to completly destroy anything. The worse being when he heard us outside and jumped up on the window and bent the blinds. He is alone loose in the house most of the day, but he has yet to tear anything up. After the first blind incedent, we leave them pulled up so that if he jumps again, he will not completly tear them up. He occasionally drags a peice of tiolet paper out of the bathroom trash can, but other than that, he has only chewed his toys. After reading this, I called his previous owner and asked if he ever tore anything up. He informed me that the worste thing he had done to the house was leave a poop stain on the carpet from eating too much pizza and chocolate chip cookies the night before. Should I be worried that he is just fooling me, or could he be the rare that doesnt conform?

My 3 year old has never destroyed anything either and I've had him since he was a puppy. He scratched parts of the door of our first apartment, but that was because it was such a shock to him and things had happened a week prior to him moving into the apartment that made him scared we were not coming back. That's the only incident though. He has had free roam in my husband's mom house when they lived there, our 1st apartment after I stopped being scared he was thinking we were leaving him, in my mom's house, and in our current problem. My 10 week old will not even have the opportunity to try for a few more months. Razz She loves her crate though.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:02 pm

Our boy was destructive when he was younger, around 2-3 yrs old. We started leaving him home alone with more and more freedom when he was more settled down at 4 yrs old. By the time he was 5 yrs old we were leaving him home alone with free roam of the whole house and he hasn't done anything we'd disapprove of. Now he's an angel, but 4 yrs ago he was a terror and could not be trusted outside the crate home alone.

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 am

Since we are on the topic Very Happy I tested WIllow in the breezeway by herself and outside her crate while I went uptown to pick up a pizza and she was a good girl. My hope is to have her out of the crate and having access to atleast one room in the near future. Fingers crossed....
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 12:21 am

Storm doesn't like his crate when the door is closed. Ginger is crate trained but when Storm came along, she started to get a little stressed with Storm next door. We started leaving them alone with free roam to the downstairs just recently and so far they're good.

I eventually would like to get Storm comfy in his crate, but I think that would mean we'd have to buy the largest crate...

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 4:09 am

Kale is the strangest dog... if i crate him in the house he has SEVERE seperation anxiety; pees, and salivates a freakin lake! but when i moved his crate outside... hes fine! he just sleeps the entire time Im at work... so I crate him outside haha I dont crate him at night. He sleeps either on my bed with me or on my couch in my room.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Everyone crate their Husky?   Does Everyone crate their Husky? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Everyone crate their Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2