It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New Husky with 2 Cats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GhostRoy
Newborn
Newborn

Husky - New Husky with 2 Cats  Empty
PostSubject: New Husky with 2 Cats    Husky - New Husky with 2 Cats  EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 am

I currently got a new Husky living with me named Koda apparently he was abused by his last owners and I took him in. Anyways I have 2 Cats living in my home space, both I have had since kittens 1 of them around 3-4 years and the other around 1-2. I have read online that Huskys tend to kill cats... which has brought up concerns to me. The dog is tied to a pole in my house(No cage yet as I just got him but plan on getting it soon) with a limited range of roaming. He is 10 months old from what I was told and hasn't bothered to chase them yet, just watches them as they walk around the area. When I hold my cat next to him the cat seems to be bothered a bit trying to hide in my arms but the dog does nothing at all. What I am worried about is my cat tends to wander in his area getting really close. He has went all the way up to his face and behind him with the dog making little to no reaction. When he meets other dogs while walking him outside I can't tell if he wants to harm them but he barks aggressively pulling hard on his leash trying to get to them. He knows how to sit shake and listens pretty well when saying "no" but usually whines about it. My other cat wants nothing to do with him at all he sneakily goes back and forth across the room while the dog sleeps making little to no noise so i'm not too worried about him. The older cat is just way too curious for my comfort...  
Note.(I have no other rooms to "separate" them but the room they are in is pretty spacious, imagine a living room + a small kitchen)Husky - New Husky with 2 Cats  20170910
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New Husky with 2 Cats    Husky - New Husky with 2 Cats  EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 11:20 am

Have tall things for the cats to get up on and never let the dog be around them without you watching the situation. Look for too much eye contact or deep focus from the dog onto the cats and redirect that. As long as the cats don't run from him it could be okay. The one that gets too close will probably be your better cat to teach Koda because if Koda ever does get interested that cat will possibly swat him and teach him that cats are no joke.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New Husky with 2 Cats    Husky - New Husky with 2 Cats  EmptyThu Sep 21, 2017 12:43 pm

I, personally, tend to think that the hype about Sibe "prey drive" is over done ... but then, if someone loses a pet cat to a pet dog then the feeling is understandable.

I have three Huskies here, an Alaskan who'll gladly chase every rabbit in the neighborhood (I live in the very rural desert southwest, plenty of rabbits) but I've never seen him come home with blood on his snout - I think it's just a matter of 'chase.' On the other hand, a previous Husky I had *would* chase and bring home rabbits 'for lunch.'

My two sibes - neither are particularly interested in chasing rabbits ... so what's that got to do with cats?

I also have two cats - brought home as kittens for rodent control - I intentionally put up a baby gate between their rooms and the dogs room so they could see and smell each other and over the past year the cats have migrated to the common family room. I was looking down the other day and while it's common to have a dog underfoot, this morning I had two dogs and both cats stretched out between me and the kitchen ... the dogs know enough to lay still when I step over them, the cats are determined to help me break a leg!

As Jenn says, give them a safe place - in my case the baby gate is still in place and the cats can get on the counters where the dogs aren't allowed - and let them introduce themselves. I think that's the most problematic area - the dogs and cats are, kinda, "pushed" at each other to see how they're going to react and that very action causes an undesirable reaction. Your curious cat, the older one, is probably safe and with a relatively young pup and an older cat, the cat has 20 very pointed reasons to help the dog understand that he shouldn't bother (him/her/it - I never did see a gender for either cat)

I have seen one of my cats, for no apparent reason, just "take off" and that prompts a momentary chase ... but it really seems to be a matter of the pup 'saying' "What'd you see? What's up?" since they've never even touched either cat.

Final note, in the year that the kittens have been here, I've never heard a "Yipe!" from the dogs and I've never heard nor seen a cat in trouble ... but then, maybe I'm just lucky.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
GhostRoy
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New Husky with 2 Cats    Husky - New Husky with 2 Cats  EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 11:06 am

I see, thanks for the information! Also does anyone know how to get him to stop pouting/barking loud whenever I need to leave the house.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Husky with 2 Cats    Husky - New Husky with 2 Cats  Empty

Back to top Go down

New Husky with 2 Cats

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1