It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hi/ Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charlee_Alaska
Newborn
Newborn
Charlee_Alaska

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 12:28 am

We recently got Alaska , her birthday is supposedly August 2 which would put her at 10 weeks tomorrow. I'm really starting to have my doubts about her breed. She's very small. She has been to the vet once dince we've had her and we go again next Thursday for more shots and routine things. So I'll bring it up again with the vet. The now apparent scam breeder we got her from will not return my calls or texts. She was 3 pounds at her last vet appointment (when she was possibly 8 weeks) 🤔😶. She eats 3-4 times a day and we've started raw diet. Just looking for opinions and advice Thanks. Hi/ Question 15076914
Hi/ Question 15076915
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 4:57 am

Welcome to the forum! Lovely puppy Smile Just wanted to make sure I read correctly that she is only 3 pounds not 13? A little tough to really guess when they are this young, except for puppy teeth and nails. When were the pics taken? If she has all of her teeth, I would say she is at least 6 weeks old, her nails are still baby nails, so again I am thinking 6 weeks. At what age did the breeder allow her to go home with you? Many states have laws that are 8 weeks for selling puppies, some states are different, but typically most breeders let them go at 8 weeks. I am inclined to think that she may be 2 weeks younger. Teaching bite inhibition typically is the most challenging aspect of puppies that come home too young.
Back to top Go down
Charlee_Alaska
Newborn
Newborn
Charlee_Alaska

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 5:40 am

We got her on the 23 of September. We were told she was 8 weeks. But like I said I have repeatedly texted and called them and haven't gotten a response. So I'm starting to think I got scammed.

Supposedly the liter was 12 puppies , that was the reason they gave for her size
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyWed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 am

3 pounds is really small. My cat was around 6 weeks old when she showed up at my house and weighed that much. I've seen some big litters before and usually they are small because the mother can't produce enough milk. Usually in the breeds I've seen it happen in the pups just look thin but do continue to grow at a normal rate, just don't get pudgy like some can. If your pup came to you seeming in proportion and not overly thin then I would really expect that it's younger. Definitely ask your vet to do a deeper exam and see. As renee said, mouthing will be your biggest challenge with getting a puppy too young, but if you live in a state where it is illegal to sell pups under 8 weeks it may be worth turning the name and number you have over to the police or animal control so they are aware along with what your vet estimates age at.

Newborn
Newborn
Charlee_Alaska

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyFri Oct 20, 2017 12:17 am

Update: vet today

Vet seems to think she's just now 9 weeks.
Weighing 7.5 pounds
She looked good otherwise

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyFri Oct 20, 2017 12:27 am

I hope you don't mind but I had to look at that picture a little closer and realized you'd posted the thumbnail (which is fine, except for those of us who can't see)

Hi/ Question 15076914

She's more than doubled her weight in 9 days - and at 3 pounds at 8 weeks she was severely underweight (though she doesn't look it in the picture) so you're doing something right!

Maybe some of the others who have looked will look at the larger picture and comment, do you have a current picture??

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Charlee_Alaska
Newborn
Newborn
Charlee_Alaska

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 12:11 am

Hi/ Question Img_4510
Hi/ Question Img_4511

Today, sorry for the meat picture it's hard to get her to stay still so I took advantage lol
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 4:17 pm

She looks healthy in those pictures. I would imagine she's younger than the breeder said as you and others have already suspected. If she's eating well and continues to grow well I would be happy and just prepare yourself for some extra mouthiness as she gets older as that often times manifests with pups removed from the litter too young. She's very cute and looks to be doing very well in your care.

Senior
Senior
HuskyLear

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyTue Oct 24, 2017 4:48 pm

I would also say that she looks healthy but younger than what you were told by breeder. She definitely will be smaller with a litter that large. However I have never heard of one that small therefore my thought that they lied about age. It could have be easy to say since she is small she we can let her go two weeks early and call her 8 weeks old. I would not worry too much except that sounds like a breeder you do not want to deal with again. (and the mouthy reaction that you have already been told about.) Other than that I am not any help as mine were extra large at 8 and 9 weeks!

Charlee_Alaska
Newborn
Newborn
Charlee_Alaska

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 am

I have a pretty irrational "fear" that she isn't a full husky, and she's a mix of something else. I'll love her either way, but just angry with myself for not vetting the breeder more. The following pictures were taken today. It's hard to get real great ones as you can tell, she's definitely a hand full. And the bitting is also a issue like everyone talks about . She loves to bite and I feel like I've tried everything to stop her. She even bites at my legs when I walk, she's so playful but still hasn't gotten that the bitting isn't fun and it hurts lol.

Hi/ Question Img_4513

Hi/ Question Img_4512

Last edited by aljones on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bring the pictures in line)
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 9:14 am

She really looks full husky to me..what is it that makes you think she isn't?
Back to top Go down
meg1995
Puppy
Puppy
meg1995

Female Join date : 2016-09-29

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyFri Oct 27, 2017 10:19 am

I think she looks full husky, looks a lot like mine when she was a baby in those pics! What makes you think she isn't full husky?
Back to top Go down
Charlee_Alaska
Newborn
Newborn
Charlee_Alaska

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question EmptyTue Nov 07, 2017 2:05 am

Yeah it’s probably in my head now. She was really really small when we got her, but now with the news that she was younger than we we were told that makes more sense.

She’s goes again to the vet on Saturday, looking forward to see how much she has grown.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi/ Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi/ Question   Hi/ Question Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi/ Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1