It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Prong collar vs Head Halters

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BluesNewHuman
Newborn
Newborn
BluesNewHuman

Male Join date : 2017-12-10

collar - Prong collar vs Head Halters Empty
PostSubject: Prong collar vs Head Halters   collar - Prong collar vs Head Halters EmptySun Dec 10, 2017 10:11 pm

I have seen on here that alot of people have used Prong collars to help with walking.
I have not seen much on head halter's. My view on them is i dont like them.
I have seen Prongs used right and wrong. Sad part so has Blue.
Some one used one that hurt and dug into his neck as well as metal muzzle that dug in and left sores under his jaw.

Blue would growl and snarl if u tried to put collar on him and he would try and snap at me.
Week of using rope choke leash and slipping it over his head to go out side and then take it off as soon as we were out
side. Then repeat going in has taken care of his fears. No more growl. its not bark of joy saying lets go hurry up.

Also on leash he was massive puller. I picked up harness with No pull in front, Back latch as well as seat belt strap for in car and truck.
Well little bugger knew what it was even picks it up when its walk time. Some one trained him on a harness.
So i don't want to use a Prong for leash walking. But head halters i feel could do harm if Blue was to get bit of speed and then have head yanked to side.

Any thoughts on it would be great.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/BluesNewHome/
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Prong collar vs Head Halters   collar - Prong collar vs Head Halters EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 4:39 am

I would bet someone left the prong collar all the time and maybe he grew into it.

I don't like the front clip harnesses because they interfere with gait and have the potential for shoulder injuries.
Back to top Go down
BluesNewHuman
Newborn
Newborn
BluesNewHuman

PostSubject: Re: Prong collar vs Head Halters   collar - Prong collar vs Head Halters EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 6:41 am

I don't use the front clip on Blue.
He walks just fine on harness.

As for Prong it was bigger one and that sat lower down the neck.
On top of that i doubt it was used in right manner.

Front clip i don't like as the dog can take step or 2 get some good movement and then is snapped around. As for head halters. Again its snapping the head around. I can see neck injuries if dog bolted. Worse if owner dropped leash and it snagged on something.

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Prong collar vs Head Halters   collar - Prong collar vs Head Halters EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 1:38 pm

I am not a fan of prong collars. I have and prefer a head halter where a lot of control is necessary. Head collars, like prong collars, can be misused. They need to be properly fitted and used in the correct manner.

Head collars should never be used with a retractable leash and are meant for loose leash walking. When using a head collar there should never be constant pressure and it should never be pulled or yanked by the walker. You should only use the head collar on a shorter lead like a 4 ft or 6 ft lead so the dog will never have the opportunity to gain any speed which could injure it if it hits the end with significant force.

Properly used, both tools produce great results. As a reminder, both are meant for training purposes and not a lifelong "solution" to poor walking habits.

My boy has great leash manners most of the time but there have been life & death situations where I needed absolute control and my boy is always the most well behaved on a head collar.

Newborn
Newborn
BluesNewHuman

PostSubject: Re: Prong collar vs Head Halters   collar - Prong collar vs Head Halters EmptyMon Dec 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Most of the people i see using them are using them wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prong collar vs Head Halters   collar - Prong collar vs Head Halters Empty

Back to top Go down

Prong collar vs Head Halters

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1