It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Muddy~Mira wrote:
Anything Negitive about it ? @ all ? Gas ? Burping ?
My Girls Have No Issues right now ~

TOTW is a good food, it is made by Diamond which may or may not be of concern to you. As for issues it will really depend on the individual. I've tried TOTW High Prairie, Wetlands, and Pacific Stream. I've found that my pack really only does well on the Wetlands formula. My sibe does not tolerate beef in kibble form well so he did poorly on High Prairie and he also does not do very well on fish based foods so he also does not do all that well on Pacific Stream. That's just my personal experience with it and there are plenty of people who feed all the TOTW formulas to their sibes and have no problems. I don't actually feed TOTW because I prefer to stay away from foods made by Diamond but I have tried it in the past and if I can get some for really cheap or free then I don't mind adding it in to their Honest Kitchen on occasion. All three of my dogs have done very well on the Wetlands formula.

Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Only prob i have noticed is that Milo has gas with TOTW but heck he has that with everything lol . Roxy has no issues what so ever. Food does stink though so to help no smell the house up we keep there food in a air tight bin.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 7:00 pm

i Have heard some things about diamond but i dont knw what to Believe .. Ive always fed Iams .. And That comes with NO Side effects .. Other Than The Finger who shames Ppl Like me for feedin It LOL
So Me wanting to do whats best for My dogs..makes me Question this..Like we all do ..
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Just bought TOTWs new flavor Sierra Mountain formula. I let you guys know how the dogs like it they where on High prairie before and seem to be getting bored with the flavor
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 7:01 pm

we tried the sierra mountain with embry a few months back, he had terrible gas from it, but he loved it.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:31 pm

Ok So havin Issues Finding th TOTW Around Me .. So I Tried The Wellness for Puppies ... OMG Mira was Ok WIth It But Icon 4 Months & Gixx 8 Months .. Just Kept throwin it up .. Idk Why and None could get a constant Normal Bowl On it .. So Im Back with My Iams ... I dont Knw where to go Next ... Seems Weird to Take em off what is Working so Well ... But Still Open to Suggestions and Idea's
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 3:05 pm

There's nothing wrong with sticking with what works, even if it is a lower quality food. There are still a lot of foods out there that you could try and unfortunately it is all trial and error. When I was feeding kibble there wasn't anything I could find (within my standard) that all three of my dogs did well on. What ended up happening was having 2 or 3 different brands of food for their different needs. Such a pain, I know! Do you have any idea what each might be sensitive to? That would help narrow down choices quite a bit. Are you looking to stick with a kibble?

Natural Balance has an L.I.D. (limited ingredient diet) line which is often good for sensitive stomachs and dogs with allergies. It's heavy in potato and is made by Diamond but it is probably better than Iams and it can be really helpful in pinpointing food sensitivities/allergies. I've used Natural Balance's LID formulas on all of mine to help me figure out what ingredients my individual dogs were sensitive to.

There really are so many good kibble options it's hard to think of them all. My top picks for kibble are Orijen, Acana, and Fromm Four Star. I recently did a trial of Dogswell's new grain free kibble called Nutrisca and I was very happy with the results. I don't know a lot about Dogswell as a company but based on the trial experience we had on their food alone I was very pleased.

Other good foods that don't make my top picks but are good nonetheless:
Natura line foods (Innova, Evo, California Natural)
Nature's Variety
Solid Gold
Merrick
Blue Buffalo
Earthborn Holistic
Halo
By Nature
Castor & Pollux
Addiction
Lotus

That's all that comes to mind at the moment but there are so many more!

I feed The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw and it's the only prepared food that all three of mine do amazing on so that I don't have to have different foods for each dog. Good luck and don't feel bad if you have to stick with Iams if it's the only thing your whole pack does well on. If it ain't broke...
Wink

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank You Very Much for Ur insight .. Yeah I Just didnt wanna feel bad for Trying The Trial & Error .. I Mean By all means THEY Love new food so They are Game .. The Mal Just came Here 6 wks ago so Dont have Much History On Him.. He was on Ol roy since he left the breeder @ 5 months old . Then I had him On Iams due to My Girls Bein On it .. Icon never had No Issues w The Iams either never threw up or nothing where on wellness she did .. i was thinkin maybe the wellness was a lil greasier and it just came back up ? Idk .. But Off to Petco to check things out see whats there .. Thanks for the idea's Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 3:49 pm

No problem. FWIW, I used to feed Wellness Core and both Faith and Dakota did really well on it. Then the kibble manufacturer changed. Their kibble is now manufactured by Diamond, Menu, and ANI. The change happened late 2009/early in 2010. When the new bags of Core hit my local stores and I opened a new batch of the food from the new manufacturers I noticed it looked and felt completely different. I went ahead and fed it anyway and the result was diarrhea and mucous-covered stool. This is the same food they had done so well on for a whole year before the manufacturer change. This is just one of the reasons I have nothing good to say about pet food manufacturers like Diamond and Menu Foods. I'm not a crazy person who just is against them for no reason or over speculation, I know first hand what a difference manufacturers can make on a food. Wink

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 10:55 pm

^6 What do U feed Now ?
Ok so For last 3-4 wks Iams Has Been Scarce around Here No Large breed Puppy food Anywhere .. So Finally after 3rd trip to Petco to Find NONE I Thought Id Ask .. They tell me That iams cant Get The Lamb In So The food Is On hold till end Of MARch ,,,, OMG !!~ REAlly ...
So I have food to Last about 3 wks or so Yet and Then Its time to find The change ,,, I Guess Im Gonna try The TOTW Prairie ... i hope im making the right choice .. Omg I cant even feed Myself correctly .. UGH LOL
I Thank you for ur Guidance ... Sometimes Id rather hear Other stores so I knw what 2 Look for Wink
Back to top Go down
Rhet
Puppy
Puppy
Rhet

Male Join date : 2011-01-02

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:36 pm

Make sure to mix some of the new food with the old and gradually switch them onto the new food. Switching all at once, especially from grain inclusive to grain free food, can cause a lot of upset stomaches and diarrhea. Hope this helps Smile
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Will Def Do Thanks for The tip Smile
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:03 am

they will love taste of the wild, ours love high prairie and wetlands
Back to top Go down
Jo
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:48 am

Wow my head is spinning with all this food info. I have been trying to get Chloe to eat new things and you are going to kill me but she dove into the other dogs Pedigree (i know garbage) and has been eating this ever since she has been over her Giardia. I have been researching better diets for her but am soooooo....confused. We don't have much of a choice here as far as pet food stores in my town, so I ask you this. If I was going to go into my local Petco and Petsmart and buy Chloe a new healthier food what would you have me get her. She has been having loose stools and I am sure this is the diet she is on. We have been back to the vet and they are putting her on a third round of antibiotics. I don't think its necessary, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Now being ferret rescue I know ferret foods and what to buy. I also went through this with our Boxer when we got him, he was so food sensitive it drove me nearly mad. LOL.

Any advice for my babygirl would be most helpful.

Jo
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:36 am

www.dogfoodanalysis

Best I have found That Has Good Reviews is The Taste Of The Wild - Prarie & wetlands Good luck ! I Hope Chloe's Runs Goes away 4 ya soon ~
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Muddy~Mira wrote:
^6 What do U feed Now ?
Ok so For last 3-4 wks Iams Has Been Scarce around Here No Large breed Puppy food Anywhere .. So Finally after 3rd trip to Petco to Find NONE I Thought Id Ask .. They tell me That iams cant Get The Lamb In So The food Is On hold till end Of MARch ,,,, OMG !!~ REAlly ...
So I have food to Last about 3 wks or so Yet and Then Its time to find The change ,,, I Guess Im Gonna try The TOTW Prairie ... i hope im making the right choice .. Omg I cant even feed Myself correctly .. UGH LOL
I Thank you for ur Guidance ... Sometimes Id rather hear Other stores so I knw what 2 Look for Wink

I personally feed a combo diet of raw and The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw. There is a shortage of Iams and Eukanuba so it is harder for everyone to find...well for those who feed it anyway. Wink

TOTW is a good food but not all dogs do well on it. If you are planning to try High Prairie I hope your dogs do well on processed beef. I've tried TOTW High Prairie, Wetlands, and Pacific Stream. My sibe did not do well on High Prairie or Pacific Stream but he did pretty good on the Wetlands formula. My sibe is sensitive to beef in kibble form (but has no problem with raw beef) and he is also sensitive to fish based foods which is why High Prairie and Pacific Stream did not go over well. All three of my dogs did very well on the Wetlands formula so that is my favorite of the TOTW line simply because of how well all three of mine agree with it. I will say this though, on TOTW I noticed a decrease in energy level compared to other premium foods like Evo and Core. This is likely a result of lower protein levels is my assumption but still, I didn't like the drop in energy that I saw on TOTW. Just my two cents.

Jo wrote:
If I was going to go into my local Petco and Petsmart and buy Chloe a new healthier food what would you have me get her.

We can't tell you what to get but I can offer my opinion on what I would consider the better choices if I was limited to the selection at PetsMart and Petco. PetsMarts selection is no where near as good as Petco's however their best kibble choices would be Blue Buffalo, Wellness, By Nature, Natural Balance and Castor & Pollux. Petco has a little better selection and I'd say their best kibble choices are Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Merrick, By Nature, Natural Balance, Dogswell, Halo, Castor & Pollux, and Solid Gold. That's my personal opinion anyway and some are better than others of course. I'd recommend a grain free over grain inclusive formulas any day.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 pm

Jo wrote:
If I was going to go into my local Petco and Petsmart and buy Chloe a new healthier food what would you have me get her. She has been having loose stools and I am sure this is the diet she is on. We have been back to the vet and they are putting her on a third round of antibiotics. I don't think its necessary, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
First off, breathe! It IS overwhelming.

Personally, if I were going into our PetCo/PetSmart, I would buy Blue Buffalo Wilderness (NOT regular Blue Buffalo). It's the grain-free Blue Buffalo formula. Ours did well on the Salmon formula and we've considered rotating it with our TOTW.

SOME PetCo/PetSmart will sell Wellness Core and other higher quality foods that I also consider, but around here they do not, so I don't shop at them for this reason.

What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
AgentCaroline
Puppy
Puppy
AgentCaroline

Female Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Muddy~Mira wrote:
Ok So havin Issues Finding th TOTW Around Me

I couldn't find a place close enough to me too, so I now order it from National Pet Pharmacy. They always have a $5 off coupon code on their website if you click on "natural or specialty food" (it is usually SAVE5). And you can have it autoshipped to you on a regular schedule and you will save 10% off that way too. Shipping and handling costs are very reasonable too. It is the cheapest way to purchase it that I have found so far. Most places I have found that are slightly cheaper will cost a boat load in shipping and handling fees.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 pm

My 2 cents. Mya eats Blue Buffalo Wilderness and has been doing great on it. I rotate the chicken and salmon formulas and am thinking about trying the duck. Now with Kody...on a total mission as you know..lol.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 4:34 pm

I Been hearing alot of The blue Buffalo ... My babies tried The TOTW .. We Have icon Throwin Up So .. And Note Taken .. gas Is bad On It Tried The High Prairie. Im So Glad to have this site N great Ppl to Help ~
Back to top Go down
NeroHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 7:12 am

Hi all,

I feed my Husky Royal Canin. Other products I can find here are Eukanuba, ProPlan, Acana (Acuna?), etc.

Have I chosen the right one?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 8:29 am

Out of all those, I would probably go with Acana.

Back to top Go down
NeroHusky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 9:45 am

So, Royal Canin is no good?

What do you feed Hailey and Koda?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:05 am

Royal Canin is not worth what they charge for it. It's often pushed on clients and customers by veterinarians and other pet food stores.

Personally I think it's rediculous to target food to specific breeds. That's just someone trying to market the product. I looked at the "GSD Puppy" formula and while the first ingredient is a meat the next 5 ingredients are either a filler or a grain.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com rates dog food.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 10:09 am

Koda and Hailey get Taste of the Wild and a rotation of other grain free kibbles mixed in. You didn't list any of them as ones that are available to you.

Acana I believe sells a grain-free formula that is supposed to be pretty decent. The other kibbles all have very low ratings and contain low-quality ingredients and fillers.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you feeding your Husky?   What are you feeding your Husky? - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you feeding your Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 29  Next