It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yanchik
Newborn
Newborn
Yanchik

Female Join date : 2017-12-01

Husky - My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP! Empty
PostSubject: My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP!   Husky - My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP! EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Hey everyone,
I know loose leash walking it’s not an easy task. I’m training my puppy to walk on Loose leash walking since she was 2 and a half month old. She is a husky cross and of course loves to PULL! Now she is 5 month old and getting bigger and bulling harder.
Each time she pulls on a leash I’m pulling the leash a bit sideways and say “TSSS” (Like in Cesar Millan shows.. Lol) or stop walking and saying firmly “NO” she looks at me and sits right away. Also sometimes changing direction of walk when she pools or just running and playing with her to distract her from pulling and of course rewarding her with treats for good listening. But as soon as we start walking again she is right in front of me pulling again.
So instead of having Loose leash walking which I know it’s important for both dogs and the owner I have to do tight leash walking for some range of my walking distance cause she is 34 pounds already.
I’m sure you’ve encounter similar issues with your huskies when they were puppies.
And maybe I need to give more time cause she still a puppy but I’m training her already not to pull for 2 month and it looks like she continues to pull harder as she grows bigger.
I’m wondering if I’m on the right track or need to change my training techniques with her?
I would love to hear your advises, recommendations or feedbacks Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP!   Husky - My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP! EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 pm

I use a prong collar. My first few walks after getting Ami at 1 yr old were walk three steps. Stop. Walk 5 steps. Stop. Walk 3 steps. Stop...ok, lets walk 3 steps, turn around. Repeat ad nauseum. The prong is a life saver with my big boy. Literally - I had stopped with the prong on him, going to harness and ecollar. Last October, was daydreaming, dogs (attached to hip belt) saw a critter...turned me into a kite. When gravity took over, I became their anchor. A scraped-up, road rash, gravel in the belly button, bleeding mess. He's now back on his prong - it's really self-correcting for him, so an occasional day dream does not risk a hamburger mama.
Back to top Go down
Mersea Lopez
Teenager
Teenager
Mersea Lopez

Female Join date : 2017-11-09

PostSubject: Re: My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP!   Husky - My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP! EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Yes, I second the prong collar. When prey drive and the drive to run collide, the Herm Sprenger prevents me from falling on Grant during our daily 5Ks. And, as Amy said, being pulled off my feet, which my 52-pounder could probably accomplish.

One day downtown convinced me it was time for the prong, because other people's dogs were so aggressive toward my juvenile Husky. While he's heeling, I can effortlessly guide him out of the path of an unstable, out-of-control dog ahead. Or a wild child.

He is a chill, loose-leash dream to run with now, and we are both safe.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP!   Husky - My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP! EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 5:53 pm

I walk 3 dogs every day. 2 are pullers and one isn't. At 6 and 8 years old I put them on a running belt around my waist and let them go at it. They can't pull me over. I had my most success with stopping when they pulled and walking the opposite direction. If they are being especially stupid on a day the stopping and waiting still gets done. Prongs can be good when done right on some dogs. There are some dogs that never come around to prongs though. My female is one. When using a prong make sure it is fitted properly and be very aware of your dogs reactions to it.

Newborn
Newborn
Yanchik

Female Join date : 2017-12-01

PostSubject: Re: My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP!   Husky - My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP! EmptyFri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks for everyone for a great answers!!! We bought a prong collar and did some prep exercise at home. Now we're going to try it outside. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP!   Husky - My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP! Empty

Back to top Go down

My 5 month husky PULLING! LLW doesn't work :-( Please HELP!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1